Anything Goes 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I have 5 years in software QA, but that was a specialized job for people on the spectrum.

I've never even had a job offer from a mainstream company in 8 years since I graduated from college. I've been on a bunch of interviews but never have had an offer.

Even getting interviews is hard for me. As much as I was looking, I never got more than 3 in a year.

I did all of the things you're supposed to.
Trade organizations, networking, LinkedIn, etc. When I was in college, I gathered as much info as I could. Every time I could(meaning I didn't have class) go to a career center workshop, I went.

There were very few jobs available in my field when I graduated for entry level people.

I was a very dedicated student and very diligent in learning about job hunting. And yet, I was still shut out.

If you are not getting interviews then you need to problem solve why? Resume issue? There are some great resources out there. Some are free and some cost money. Not qualified? Be honest with your qualifications. You might need to start looking for the job before the job you want to get your foot in the door. Bad at interviews? Again, there are some great resources out there. Some are free and some cost money. Always have a STAR (situation, task, action, and result) story. More below.

1. Situation: Open with a brief description of the Situation and context of the story (who, what, where, when, how).
2. Task: Explain the Task you had to complete highlighting any specific challenges or constraint (eg deadlines, costs, other issues).
3. Action: Describe the specific Actions that you took to complete the task. These should highlight desirable traits without needing to state them (initiative, intelligence, dedication, leadership, understanding, etc.)
4. Result: Close with the result of your efforts. Include figures to quantify the result if possible.

9/10 it is a you issue and not a them issue. Hard to hear but it is true.

Reactions: d rake

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This is your problem then. No one else is responsible for your success or lack thereof, except you. It screams entitlement.
Again, there you go repeating the lie.
I'd pretty much do anything to get a career started. But somehow I'n entitled? GMAFB.

Every time I get rejected it's for lack of professional experience. How am I supposed to get that, if I never am allowed to work and gain it?

I was up front about my autism and offered to take 15% less than my competition for the first year if they gave me a shot.
Does that scream entitlement to you?

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nope. Has nothing to do with them as an individual.

I've seen highly incompetent people become really successful, and smart, hardworking individuals struggling to get a job.

There's enough jobs to go around for enough people to believe the lie.

Those "highly incompetent people" most likely have some skills that you don't realize and the "smart, hardworking individuals" most likely have an obvious issue or red flag.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
KBS, what about starting a vlog or something? Who needs the man, be the man. It costs nothing to try something like that. Start by documenting your job search. Just a thought.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If you are not getting interviews then you need to problem solve why? Resume issue? There are some great resources out there. Some are free and some cost money. Not qualified? Be honest with your qualifications. You might need to start looking for the job before the job you want to get your foot in the door. Bad at interviews? Again, there are some great resources out there. Some are free and some cost money. Always have a STAR (situation, task, action, and result) story. More below.

1. Situation: Open with a brief description of the Situation and context of the story (who, what, where, when, how).
2. Task: Explain the Task you had to complete highlighting any specific challenges or constraint (eg deadlines, costs, other issues).
3. Action: Describe the specific Actions that you took to complete the task. These should highlight desirable traits without needing to state them (initiative, intelligence, dedication, leadership, understanding, etc.)
4. Result: Close with the result of your efforts. Include figures to quantify the result if possible.

9/10 it is a you issue and not a them issue. Hard to hear but it is true.
Been there, done that.
Applied for lower level jobs.

The huge issue is the whole, you know, lack of experience outside of that one company.
I can't answer most of the questions honestly. I've never experienced it.
My answer is always "I haven't had enough experience to encounter that situation, but I'm sure I can figure out a solution if I ran into it" Here's what I'd do in a hypothetical:....blah blah blah.
It always comes back to not having a ton of work experience and being in my 30s.
WTF am I supposed to do?

I've practiced interviewing, I do all of the things I'm supposed to. The question remains: Why am I still shut out?
I've had my resume professionally looked over, made the changes.

I've literally tried everything under the sun, but somehow still can't get foot in door.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd pretty much do anything to get a career started. But somehow I'n entitled? GMAFB.

:facepalm:

The behavior you're exhibiting is entitled behavior. As if you somehow expected to come out of college with a degree, and immediately be sitting in a corner office, making six figures, while you kick your feet up on your mahogany desk.

Then speaking to how anyone who is successful is primarily lucky, and how it has nothing to do with their own work, performance, etc. That's as offensive and entitled as something can get.

Let me tell you something, I got my first job in the IT world because I interviewed well for that job. I had one year of college, and my only relevant experience was playing video games, and building my own PCs as a kid/teenager. I had ZERO relevant work experience. I busted my ass there for 2 1/2 years, and was the best guy they had in our department. I still got laid off when the economy took a shit in what... 08? 09? I was unemployed for 18 months, and watched countless guys with 20 years of IT experience take $40k per year jobs, MY entry-level jobs, because they needed the work. I went to interview, after interview, after interview, for a year and a half. It got to a point where I was being turned down for jobs BECAUSE I had been unemployed for so long. Finally, I used a connection I had with the company I was with before being laid off, and just randomly gave them a call. Turns out they were hiring, liked my resume, and wanted to fast-track me to a management role in a matter of 3 weeks based upon my experience at the previous company prior to my layoff. I essentially started doing installation work for a company that my previous employer used as contractors for work. Instead of the guy these guys would call for help, I was the guy on the other end of the line. I essentially took two steps down, just to get back into the workforce, from the lead on the helpdesk, to the damn contractor out in the field.

That job... was garbage. The worst job I've ever had. I started out making 15k less than I was making prior to being laid off. While trying to support my family. I traveled to 27 states in a year. I regularly worked 80 hour weeks with my travel time(around 65 hours of actual work). I put in 12-16 hour nights, sometime working 5pm until 9am the next day, 4 nights in a row, Sunday through Thursday, for over a year. I regularly left home, my (ex)wife, and daughters on Sunday morning, and didn't come home until Thursday night, relaxed for a couple days, then did it all over again flying back out somewhere Sunday morning. That got my feet wet back in the workplace. I had to do it for only a little over one year. Then I got my resume back out there. I found a better job. I worked there for 2 1/2 years. Then I found a better job, and worked there for 2 years. I've now been in what is essentially my dream job, for 4 years.

I worked my ass off to get where I'm at. I busted my ass, and made sacrifices for years. It had nothing to do with luck. I'm where I'm at because of me, and no one else.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Every time I get rejected it's for lack of professional experience. How am I supposed to get that, if I never am allowed to work and gain it?

I was up front about my autism and offered to take 15% less than my competition for the first year if they gave me a shot.
Does that scream entitlement to you?

Then you might need to look for the job that comes before the one you are applying to.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The huge issue is the whole, you know, lack of experience outside of that one company.
I can't answer most of the questions honestly. I've never experienced it.
My answer is always "I haven't had enough experience to encounter that situation, but I'm sure I can figure out a solution if I ran into it" Here's what I'd do in a hypothetical:....blah blah blah.

I've practiced interviewing, I do all of the things I'm supposed to. The question remains: Why am I still shut out?
I've had my resume professionally looked over, made the changes.

I've literally tried everything under the sun, but somehow still can't get foot in door.

Idk what you are applying for but maybe try applying for an internship to get your foot in the door somewhere. It gives you a 3 month try out to prove yourself and not much experience is expected.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
KBS, what about starting a vlog or something? Who needs the man, be the man. It costs nothing to try something like that. Start by documenting your job search. Just a thought.
One time I filled out 10 applications in a week, on 5 of them I filled out the EEO section and on 5 I didn't.
2 of the 5 that I didn't fill them out I got replies to. One of them I went to the interview, and told them there. I honestly can't believe that they don't want the tax credits, but whatever.

I didn't get that job, they could use the excuse of me lying on my resume. Whatever. I don't want to work for someone who discriminates anyway.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Idk what you are applying for but maybe try applying for an internship to get your foot in the door somewhere. It gives you a 3 month try out to prove yourself.
Haha.
in the job requirements:
"must have graduated within the last 24 months"

I called HR once, explained my situation and asked if they'd make an exception for me.
I got told "no" and they hung up.

That was the end of that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
:facepalm:

The behavior you're exhibiting is entitled behavior. As if you somehow expected to come out of college with a degree, and immediately be sitting in a corner office, making six figures, while you kick your feet up on your mahogany desk.

Then speaking to how anyone who is successful is primarily lucky, and how it has nothing to do with their own work, performance, etc. That's as offensive and entitled as something can get.

Let me tell you something, I got my first job in the IT world because I interviewed well for that job. I had one year of college, and my only relevant experience was playing video games, and building my own PCs as a kid/teenager. I had ZERO relevant work experience. I busted my ass there for 2 1/2 years, and was the best guy they had in our department. I still got laid off when the economy took a **** in what... 08? 09? I was unemployed for 18 months, and watched countless guys with 20 years of IT experience take $40k per year jobs, MY entry-level jobs, because they needed the work. I went to interview, after interview, after interview, for a year and a half. It got to a point where I was being turned down for jobs BECAUSE I had been unemployed for so long. Finally, I used a connection I had with the company I was with before being laid off, and just randomly gave them a call. Turns out they were hiring, liked my resume, and wanted to fast-track me to a management role in a matter of 3 weeks based upon my experience at the previous company prior to my layoff. I essentially started doing installation work for a company that my previous employer used as contractors for work.

That job... was garbage. The worst job I've ever had. I started out making 15k less than I was making prior to being laid off. While trying to support my family. I traveled to 27 states in a year. I regularly worked 80 hour weeks with my travel time(around 65 hours of actual work). I put in 12-16 hour nights, sometime working 5pm until 9am the next day, 4 nights in a row, Sunday through Thursday, for over a year. I regularly left home, my (ex)wife, and daughters on Sunday morning, and didn't come home until Thursday night, relaxed for a couple days, then did it all over again flying back out somewhere Sunday morning. That got my feet wet back in the workplace. I had to do it for only one year. Then I got my resume back out there. I found a better job. I worked there for 2 1/2 years. Then I found a better job, and worked there for 2 years. I've now been in what is essentially my dream job, for 4 years.

I worked my ass off to get where I'm at. I busted my ass, and made sacrifices for years. It had nothing to do with luck. I'm where I'm at because of me, and no one else.
Haha.
I never expected that.
I was always willing to take 10-15% less than a neurotypical in order to get my foot in the door.
I had no grand illusions about making 6 figures immediately. I hoped I could get there 10 years into my career.
I've always accepted that in order to make it, I'd have to get paid less than a comparable neurotypical with the same skillset, as well as work twice as hard to get the same work done. I realized that there was no guarantee that I'd be able to handle anything above an entry level or mid-level position in my field. I was fine with that. All I wanted was a chance to prove my worth. I never got it.

I've always been willing to go above and beyond.

I worked Saturdays at my old job whenever they asked me to. I was literally on vacation one day, got called in to work the next day unexpectedly, and drove 3 hours to go to work when I could have easily said I was unavailable.

I'd argue that you're where you are, because despite not having many qualifications, someone decided to give you a chance to prove yourself. That has nothing to do with you. It has to do with the other person making a decision to hire you. It's 100% out of your control.

Nobody gets a job because of anything but dumb luck. You never know who you're going up against, and the other people up for the job are also out of your control.

You can't make the decision for the interviewer.....If they want to hire someone else, they will.
You can't control your competition for each individual job.
Ergo, getting a job=dumb luck.

You can't control office politics.
You can't control who your co-workers are, or how seriously they take their job.
You can't control who your boss decides to promote

Therefore, career advancement=dumb luck.

You can only put your best foot forward. For some people, that's enough. For others....not so much.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Haha.
I never expected that.
I was always willing to take 10-15% less than a neurotypical in order to get my foot in the door.
I had no grand illusions about making 6 figures immediately. I hoped I could get there 10 years into my career.
I've always accepted that in order to make it, I'd have to get paid less than a comparable neurotypical with the same skillset, as well as work twice as hard to get the same work done. I realized that there was no guarantee that I'd be able to handle anything above an entry level or mid-level position in my field. I was fine with that. All I wanted was a chance to prove my worth. I never got it.

I worked Saturdays at my old job whenever they asked me to. I was literally on vacation one day, got called in to work the next day unexpectedly, and drove 3 hours to go to work when I could have easily said I was unavailable.

I like you man. I've met you in person. I'm just telling you, as a friend, how your posts are coming off. I'm trying to show you that it's not all about luck. I made my own damn luck, by busting my ass for years. Now I'm finally getting to see the rewards of that hard work.

You asked the other day about IT. I said it then, and I'll say it now. Get into it. Put your head down, get your A+ and NET+ and you'll find a job making 30-40k a year on like an entry-level helpdesk or some shit. Hell, you may even be able to come in between 40-50k per year.

In the IT world, many people are weird, they're quirky, they're anti-social, or socially awkward, and introverted. So they don't give a rat's ass about that kinda stuff. If you can do the work, and do it well, then you'll be fine. I've talked to you in person. You talk a lot. A helpdesk gig would be perfect for you to start out in, because half that job is about customer service, and knowing how to talk to people.

I just gave this same recommendation to a buddy of mine a while back. He was unemployed for years, and had no idea what direction to go, he just knew he didn't want to continue what he had been doing. I told him get into IT. It's not going anywhere. Technology is just dominating our lives more and more every day, so the job security is there. He got his A+, and NET+. He worked towards an associates degree, but never even finished it. He got a job on an entry-level help desk making 35-40k per year, and 5 years later, he's making 75k as an IT Security Analyst, got paid to move to Arizona, and is living the dream.

I'd highly recommend going that route, honestly. It seems like a match made in Heaven.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I like you man. I've met you in person. I'm just telling you, as a friend, how your posts are coming off. I'm trying to show you that it's not all about luck. I made my own damn luck, by busting my ass for years. Now I'm finally getting to see the rewards of that hard work.

You asked the other day about IT. I said it then, and I'll say it now. Get into it. Put your head down, get your A+ and NET+ and you'll find a job making 30-40k a year on like an entry-level helpdesk or some ****. Hell, you may even be able to come in between 40 and 50k per year. In the IT world, many people are weird, they're quirky, they're anti-social, or socially awkward, and introverted. So they don't give a rat's ass about that kinda stuff in this world. If you can do the work, and do it well, then you'll be fine. I've talked to you in person. You talk a lot. A helpdesk gig would be perfect for you to start out in, because half that job is customer service/customer satisfaction, and knowing how to talk to people.

I just gave this same recommendation to a buddy of mine a while back. He was unemployed for 2 years, and had no idea what direction to go, he just knew he didn't want to continue what he had been doing. I told him get into IT. It's not going anywhere. Technology is just dominating our lives more and more every day, so the job security is there. He got his A+, and NET+. He worked towards an associates degree, but never even finished it. He got a job on an entry-level help desk making 35k per year, and 5 years later, he's making 75k as an IT Security Analyst, got paid to move to Arizona, and is living the dream.

I'd highly recommend going that route.
Yeah, I'm still working on it.

I'm usually pretty patient with people who are ignorant of tech, so I think that would be a good start for me.

I actually really enjoy the material in the classes.
I have a hope problem. I have zero faith in the process right now. So I invested all of this time and money, and I didn't get a shot again. It's like PTSD.

I will admit that I have issues multitasking and with time management. The issue that I have is prioritization..when it's up to me to decide what to do first, I get paralyzed.
When everything is equally important, how do you decide what to do first? I could spend hours on it. I've learned to either ask my boss or just do something.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, I'm still working on it.

I will admit that I have issues multitasking and with time management. The issue that I have is prioritization..when it's up to me to decide what to do first, I get paralyzed.
When everything is equally important, how do you decide what to do first?

In IT, importance is pretty much completely mapped out for you.

If someone needs a password reset for their email, or a company-wide application that 100 employees use crashes, what's more important?

Multi-tasking is something you'll have to get used to doing if you go that route. On a helpdesk, you'll regularly be working on 2-3 things at one time, while on the phone with someone that isn't even related to those 2-3 things. :laugh: The nice thing is, you can physically input your notes into the software that helpdesks use, hit save, and then change to the other thing you're working on, add notes, save, so on and so forth. I'd focus on bettering that skill if you choose to go this direction.

The bonus with a NET+ and A+? It won't cost you any money for school really. You can self-teach pretty much all that stuff through books you can buy online. Might cost you $50-$100 to teach that stuff to yourself. You can even find places online that allow you to build virtual environments so you can get hands-on experience while reading up on it all. Half of the A+ stuff you'll know and can play around with just by using your own laptop/desktop as a training tool.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
In IT, importance is pretty much completely mapped out for you.

If someone needs a password reset, or a company-wide application that 100 employees use crashes, what's more important?

Multi-tasking is something you'll have to get used to doing if you go that route. On a helpdesk, you'll regularly be working on 2-3 things at one time, while on the phone with someone that isn't even related to those 2-3 things. :laugh: The nice thing is, you can physically input your notes into the software that helpdesks use, hit save, and then change to the other thing you're working on, add notes, save, so on and so forth. I'd focus on bettering that skill if you choose to go this direction.

The bonus with a NET+ and A+? It won't cost you any money for school really. You can self-teach pretty much all that stuff through books you can buy online. Might cost you $50-$100 to teach that stuff to yourself. You can even find places online that allow you to build virtual environments so you can get hands-on experience while reading up on it all.
Yup. I got Mike Meyers NET+ A+, and Security+ online classes as well as 3 practice tests for each for less than $75. Like I said, I'm working on it but it's hard to keep going when you're freaked that your effort won't pay off.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yup. I got Mike Meyers NET+ A+, and Security+ online classes as well as 3 practice tests for each for less than $75.

$75 could put you in a position to make 30-45k per year, starting salary. Could even look into IT University Online. A lot of times they have virtual classes/video recorded classes for like $100 for a one year subscription and whatnot. And they do the most basic stuff all the way up to some of the most advanced.

They have all kinds of promos all the time, too.

Online IT Training Courses For IT Certifications | ITU Online IT Training

Edit: There's currently a bunch of CompTIA stuff with lifetime subscriptions for like $100.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
$75 could put you in a position to make 30-45k per year, starting salary.
I know, why do you think I did this? lol.
It costs like $200 for the real test though.
I would go back to school, but it's way too expensive. I'm still paying for my previous BS.

It's not like I'm not doing anything now. I do work Uber Eats for pocket money.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I know, why do you think I did this? lol.
It costs like $200 for the real test though.
I would go back to school, but it's way too expensive. I'm still paying for my previous BS.

See above link. It's all virtual classroom stuff, video recorded. There's a CompTIA one for $59, it's 12 courses, 200+ hours, with lifetime access. There's a Cyber Security one, 10 courses, 170+ hours, lifetime access, $100.

Don't go back to college for IT. Get certs. They're as good as degrees when it comes to the IT world. And ITU that I linked above is one of the best ways to get em. And no, I don't work for them, and never have. :laugh:

I have used them, though. I was using them when I was unemployed years ago to try and better my position.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
See above link. It's all virtual classroom stuff, video recorded. There's a CompTIA one for $59, it's 12 courses, 200+ hours, with lifetime access. There's a Cyber Security one, 10 courses, 170+ hours, lifetime access, $100.

Don't go back to college for IT. Get certs. They're as good as degrees when it comes to the IT world.
I've got all of that stuff already. Have you ever heard of Udemy? I bought it on sale from them. $12 for each item.

I'm trying to work through my PTSD about not getting a job when younger despite doing what I was supposed to do. I have a BS in Chemical Engineering....that is quite literally the most difficult undergraduate degree to obtain. I thought it was worth something, apparently not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Haha.
I never expected that.

I'd argue that you're where you are, because despite not having many qualifications, someone decided to give you a chance to prove yourself. That has nothing to do with you. It has to do with the other person making a decision to hire you. It's 100% out of your control.

Nobody gets a job because of anything but dumb luck. You never know who you're going up against, and the other people up for the job are also out of your control.

You can't make the decision for the interviewer.....If they want to hire someone else, they will.
You can't control your competition for each individual job.
Ergo, getting a job=dumb luck.

You can't control office politics.
You can't control who your co-workers are, or how seriously they take their job.
You can't control who your boss decides to promote

Therefore, career advancement=dumb luck.

You can only put your best foot forward. For some people, that's enough. For others....not so much.

I'll disagree. I forced that company to hire me, by putting my best self on display. It has everything to do with me. I interviewed better than the other candidates. I showed more than they did. I proved to the guy who became my boss, that I was the right investment, and that I was the right choice. Once I started working there, I continued to prove it.

I don't care about who I'm going up against, and who the other candidates for the job are. I go in there with the confidence that I'm going to get that job. I don't care if Bill f***ing Gates is interviewing for it. It's mine.

And I'll disagree. You can make the decision for the interviewer. You literally impress them to the point that they have no choice but to hire you. The whole point of the interview is to make their decision for them. And make it easy for them.

You can control your competition. Be better than it. If your competition is good, be great.

No, you can't control office politics, or your co-workers, unless they're your subordinates, but you can control who your boss decides to promote. Don't give him a choice. Be better than anyone else.

There's a lot more that you're in control of than you think.

Other than during the Great Recession, I've never failed to get a job I've interviewed for. Not one. Is that dumb luck? Or is it me? I'd have to lean towards it being me.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'll disagree. I forced that company to hire me, by putting my best self on display. It has everything to do with me. I interviewed better than the other candidates. I showed more than they did. I proved to the guy who became my boss, that I was the right investment, and that I was the right choice. Once I started working there, I continued to prove it.

I don't care about who I'm going up against, and who the other candidates for the job are. I go in there with the confidence that I'm going to get that job. I don't care if Bill ****ing Gates is interviewing for it. It's mine.

And I'll disagree. You can make the decision for the interviewer. You literally impress them to the point that they have no choice but to hire you. The whole point of the interview is to make their decision for them. And make it easy for them.

You can control your competition. Be better than it. If your competition is good, be great.

No, you can't control office politics, or your co-workers, unless they're your subordinates, but you can control who your boss decides to promote. Don't give him a choice. Be better than anyone else.
Yeah, but you can't control if there's someone there that's just better than you at your job. You can only put your best foot forward. Sometimes, no matter how much time and effort you put in, someone you're working with is just better than you. It could be something little like a system for efficiency, or it could be something bigger like a natural knack for applying information.

There are very few people out there that are the best at what they do in the world. Most likely, there's always someone better. All you can do is be the best version of yourself possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad