OT: Anything Goes 35 - Tony O Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah. I just get the vibe that it's always going to be miserably crowded.

We went in early October and there were not huge lines at all. Walked right in to the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. but had to wait 5-10 minutes at Versailles but we paid for a private tour in a small group with a special entrance (100% as worth it). Weather was spectacular 60-65 degrees, sunny, and not humid at all. Great walking weather.

The food goes without saying.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
We went in early October and there were not huge lines at all. Walked right in to the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. but had to wait 5-10 minutes at Versailles but we paid for a private tour in a small group with a special entrance (100% as worth it). Weather was spectacular 60-65 degrees, sunny, and not humid at all. Great walking weather.

The food goes without saying.

That's not too bad. We are thinking either Labor Day or over our anniversary for an extended vacation next year.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's not too bad. We are thinking either Labor Day or over our anniversary for an extended vacation next year.

Crowds will be bigger then but I could not recommend Paris in early October more. Versailles gardens in the Fall were beautiful as was the entire city.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Crowds will be bigger then but I could not recommend Paris in early October more. Versailles gardens in the Fall were beautiful as was the entire city.

I just still don't see a whole lot there that I'm dying to do. :dunno:

So many other places I'd rather go.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I hate art. I don't mind history, but I'm not taking a trip somewhere for it.

Paris might not be your place then. The history is amazing but if you don't travel for it then it is not worth it.

History, art, architecture, and food are all amazing there.

My wife would add shopping.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
How exactly does one HATE art? Not judging, I have just never heard that before

Maybe it's the culture within art and the pretentiousness that it brings out of people.

Not to mention I look at a picture people can spend hours staring at and I just see nothing.

Not my thing. Only time I found it mildly interesting was in the Vatican.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe it's the culture within art and the pretentiousness that it brings out of people.

Not to mention I look at a picture people can spend hours staring at and I just see nothing.

Not my thing. Only time I found it mildly interesting was in the Vatican.

Bold: I mean it is basically the greatest collection of art in the world.

I 100% understand the pretentiousness comment.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
That makes sense I guess. I think art is fun. But I love local art shows more. I also know a lot of the artists so it's cool getting to see their work. It's more of a celebration here in Rockford then a pretentious viewing. Although we do have an art museum which has that basic, quieter atmosphere.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm somewhat close to Ray's POV on art. I'm not artistic on any level and certainly find myself confused in terms of what is held up as masterpieces vs other pieces of work.

That being said, I did enjoy the Louvre more than I anticipated because of the history associated with the works.

On the other hand going to a modern (new work, not the style necessarily) art show would be something I don't think I would really like. Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in viewing the work at a cursory level. But trying to BS my way through conversations about what the artist is trying to say with this piece sounds awful.

Reactions: RayP

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As for art, modern art isn't really for me, but beyond that I'm all about all kinds of classical paintings and sculptures and stuff that blends the old with the new.

Went to the Dali museum in St. Pete a few months back and enjoyed the hell out of that, for instance. Paintings of soup cans or stuff that looks like an artist threw six buckets of paint against a canvass and tap danced on it or sculptures of just words? Pass.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm somewhat close to Ray's POV on art. I'm not artistic on any level and certainly find myself confused in terms of what is held up as masterpieces vs other pieces of work.

That being said, I did enjoy the Louvre more than I anticipated because of the history associated with the works.

On the other hand going to a modern (new work, not the style necessarily) art show would be something I don't think I would really like. Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in viewing the work at a cursory level. But trying to BS my way through conversations about what the artist is trying to say with this piece sounds awful.

I don't think you could have outlined a more miserable sounding evening for me.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As for art, modern art isn't really for me, but beyond that I'm all about all kinds of classical paintings and sculptures and stuff that blends the old with the new.

Went to the Dali museum in St. Pete a few months back and enjoyed the hell out of that, for instance. Paintings of soup cans or stuff that looks like an artist threw six buckets of paint against a canvass and tap danced on it or sculptures of just words? Pass.

Sculpture is my favorite.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Actor Rutger Hauer dead at 75

RIP to a guy who was always underrated as actor especially for his TV work

Enjoyed his performances in Escape from Sobibor and Fatherland

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Its funny when you ask are you an art or a history person because to me, art is history in a lot of cases. Even more modern art like Warhol or Picasso....thats historical stuff.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Always been a fan.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Even if you're not crazy about art, I still highly recommend the Monet, Picasso, and Rodin museums. The city is an experience in and of itself, but it's certainly more of a hub for art, history, and architecture than anything else.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I hate art. I don't mind history, but I'm not taking a trip somewhere for it.

I think everyone has art that would appeal to them. Growing up I didn’t care much for it because I was always dragged to see art of the renaissance, which didn’t speak to me for multiple reasons. But in college I took an art history class as an elective, and loved post-Impressionism, Matisse, Gauguin, Degas...

A friend of mine has an original Agam, and when I’m at his house I could easily spend the whole time staring at it.

Tangentially, while I like to think I’m creative, I’m not artistic, and I have an envy/admiration for those who are, because they seem to have so much fun with it. It’s a part of life in which I feel like I’m missing out.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nice!

Now that I'll have a new job with a nice chunk of PTO to use and a ton of company holidays, the wife and I are trying to plan a big vacation next week. We initially were talking about going back to Florence and just spending a week there and only there, but then somehow Singapore came up last night.

Either way, it'll be nice to go somewhere together for a week or longer. It's been a while since we've done that. Seems everything the last few years has just been long weekend trips to somewhere, or visiting family.

My fiance and I have been together for 7 1/2 years and this is our first trip, solo, without the kids. We've done overnighters in like St. Joe's, but never a full blown vacation without the kids with. Should be a good time.

No direct flight?

There were, but it was $150 more, so we saved some money with a 3 hour layover in Nashville.

I don't think I've ever been in the Nashville airport before.

I did have to book flights today to West Palm Beach, which sounds nice, except I'm going because my FIL is having spinal and possible brain surgery next Friday.

The Nashville airport is nice. Second time I've been in it and I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad