OT: Anything Goes 33: What'cha Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's one image, did you see more than one? The only one I've seen is the picture that BWC posted above. I believe anything else you find on the web is simply a rendering of what they think they look like. And to me... it looks like someone took a blurry picture of a campfire. :laugh: Or it looks like The Eye of Sauron in Lord of the Rings. :laugh:

Cool, sure. I wouldn't call it some amazing image, though(amazing that they got it, but not like it's some crazy beautiful picture). Now if they had a focused, detailed image... that's a different story.

I'm a science guy through and through, and I just felt like it was underwhelming. Very cool accomplishment, though. Not trying to take anything away from them in that regard.

Honestly it looks like camera light went out as someone was doing colonoscopy

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was just checking around to see if anything was changing IN THERE- nothing weird on static IP, but some of the help stuff mentioned looking into the device and static IP address.

I just did a factory reset on it, totally new now and the same **** is happening, won't connect - signal strength is good, it says - wi-fi connection failure - security wpa2 psk and underneath that says disabled...**** keeps disabling on me..I have never seen this before ever..same router/modem nothing changed. att u-verse..

Wifi adapter could be bad. Does the device need a O/S update?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wifi adapter could be bad. Does the device need a O/S update?
just got the thing for Christmas for my little guy, auto updates are set as well...I will putz around more with it, do more research - might go out and get another one and see if that works then I will know something is up with just those specific devices for whatever the reason. thanks man.,

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
just got the thing for Christmas for my little guy, auto updates are set as well...I will putz around more with it, do more research - might go out and get another one and see if that works then I will know something is up with just those specific devices for whatever the reason. thanks man.,

Google is your best friend. It's mine, and IT is my living. :laugh:

I know the answer to about 10% of the things asked me.

Reactions: AmericanDream

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Cool, sure. I wouldn't call it some amazing image, though(amazing that they got it, but not like it's some crazy beautiful picture). Now if they had a focused, detailed image... that's a different story.

Honestly it looks like camera light went out as someone was doing colonoscopy

The actual image is half the story. The achievement is monumental...

This was more than getting eight facilities with radio telescopes to work together. Because a black hole is “infinitely smaller and darker” than any radio source in the sky, the observatories had to be synchronized and conditions had to be just right.
“Making a picture of a black hole also requires a magnification, or ‘angular resolution,’ equivalent to reading a text on a phone in New York from a sidewalk café in Paris,” say officials.

It’s a picture of something 25 million miles wide that’s 55 million LIGHT YEARS away. It’s an incredible achievement and it was done with the cooperation of 8 different telescopes from countries all over the world. Not to mention, black holes literally suck light into them, so getting a photo of this is extra cool, it’s never been done before!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The actual image is half the story. The achievement is monumental...

It’s a picture of something 25 million miles wide that’s 55 million LIGHT YEARS away. It’s an incredible achievement and it was done with the cooperation of 8 different telescopes from countries all over the world. Not to mention, black holes literally suck light into them, so getting a photo of this is extra cool, it’s never been done before!

Yeah, I read the article after you posted, pretty cool, especially with the telescopes. I can’t imagine how much tedious work was required to calibrate those telescopes to work together as one.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I need a day off work so bad. Haven’t had a day off (not including weekends) since New Year’s Day.

Beyond burned out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So take a day off, turd.

Was trying to wait for the wife’s foot to heal so we could take a trip somewhere to mountain bike. May have mentioned it already, but they freak accident where she sliced her foot.... turns out she broke her fibula about 90% of the way and her foot in the process. Walked on it for a week like that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My job and the team I manage admittedly sucks. I’ve gotten rid of one person, and am getting rid of another person today.

Last few weeks my don’t give a f*** meter has been on full blast.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Was trying to wait for the wife’s foot to heal so we could take a trip somewhere to mountain bike. May have mentioned it already, but they freak accident where she sliced her foot.... turns out she broke her fibula about 90% of the way and her foot in the process. Walked on it for a week like that.

Doh. That sucks. Just do both. A mental health day never hurt anyone.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Mine definitely is. Dunno about Ray's. :laugh:

I can’t tell you how many people I don’t even know in the company have come up to me to tell me they’re sorry for the bullshit I have to deal with daily....

Doh. That sucks. Just do both. A mental health day never hurt anyone.

If I take a day off it’s going to be to use this new damn mountain bike. The trails near SLC are still a mess. Absurd amounts of snow.

Where I had a ski pass this season got 17 inches of snow Wednesday. This Wednesday. In April. 600+ inches of snow for the season at that resort.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
A new Star Wars teaser was released?

Well, that's one more thing to try to avoid seeing or reading up on or hearing mentioned in a podcast. I feel like I'm the last person alive that doesn't want to know a literal thing about a movie I'm definitely going to see, and I absolutely don't want any visual spectacle reveals in advance either.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Well, that's one more thing to try to avoid seeing or reading up on or hearing mentioned in a podcast. I feel like I'm the last person alive that doesn't want to know a literal thing about a movie I'm definitely going to see, and I absolutely don't want any visual spectacle reveals in advance either.

Yes it was.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I’m the same way.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
TFA was a fun movie that offered nothing really ground-breaking or particularly memorable.

TLJ was a grind of a movie that had a lot of interesting ideas, but flubbed the landing on most of them. The idea of democratizing the force and taking it out of the hands of one 'royal family' essentially, is a good one. How the movie actually meandered it's way there was terrible. I'd take it over Ep1, 2 and 6 but no others.

This one seems like it could be fun, if only for all the wacky theories of how they're going to tie everything together and explain all the lose threads.

Anybody ever read the Revelations storyline from the Spider-Man comics? It basically ended the interminable 'Clone Saga' and revealed that Norman Osborne who we had thought dead for decades, had been operating behind the scenes to make Peter Parker's life a living hell. Up to and including having somebody clone him, then having confidants convince him HE was the clone, etc. Anyway, Norman Osborne reveals himself, Peter Parker is told he is not a clone, the most significant clone dies saving Peter, and all is right with the world.

The 'powerful antagonist you thought was dead was really manipulating everything behind the scenes' trick is usually pretty dumb... but sometimes those antagonists are so iconic, and so established in both their power and influence, that audiences are willing to say 'ok, I'll go on this ride with you'. And it gives author's a way to retcon some content they're no longer comfortable with.
Palpatine's laugh makes me think this is going to be a pretty heavy retcon of a lot of things that have happened. My wild theory (which is based on very little other than images in the trailer):
When he was still alive, Palpatine took Anakin’s DNA as a contingency plan in case Vader rebelled or died before he found a suitable replacement. Rey is a clone of sorts, and some scavengers found her in some lab in the ruined Death Star wreckage, didnt know what to do with her, so they dropped her off on Jakku and ran. That’s why the lightsaber 'called' to her. It 'thinks' she’s Anakin. That’s why she’s so immediately and naturally powerful.

So the grandfather Kylo worships and the woman he lusts are, on the genetic level, the same person. He’s drawn to both for the same reason, whatever that really is. I think there’s going to me some revelations of meddling and manipulation from beyond the grave by Palpatine. That Kylo is another pawn in Palpatine's quest to hurt the people that took him down.

I think the title refers to Kylo. Kylo's real name is Ben Solo (named for Ben Kenobi, and taking his father's name). But his mother's maiden name is Skywalker. I think there is going to be come kind of redemption for him, even if it ends with him pursuing some kind of self-healing in exile, rather than medals and award ceremonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad