OT: Anything Goes 32: Topicality? What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I don’t think I’ve ever pooped on an airplane.

And I’ve traveled a lot.

Me neither. Yuck. I don’t think I ever have in a public bathroom. The thought makes me want to vomit.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Awwwww yeah..... Spoiled an early Xmas Present for me

75192-UCS-Millennium-Falcon-Cover.jpg

Gonna be busy for a few MONTHS

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I deleted my Instagram and Snapchat today. I don’t use Facebook. Just gonna keep twitter for now. Felt like I was checking them too much. Might just do it for 30 days. Maybe forever.

I've started putting my phone next to my night stand when I get home from work. It's really noticeable at first, but after the first day, you really get used to not having it.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I deleted my Instagram and Snapchat today. I don’t use Facebook. Just gonna keep twitter for now. Felt like I was checking them too much. Might just do it for 30 days. Maybe forever.

Welcome aboard.

I've discussed my reasons for no Facebook in the past, so I won't get into that. I haven't had one in 6-7 years. I have a Snapchat and Instagram, but I don't do anything but follow family and my kids on Snapchat, and follow breweries on IG. I don't post content on either. It's liberating to not be glued to social media non-stop at all times of the day. All the social media I need is on here, my fishing forums, and my beer forums.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m 22 so to say it feels different is an understatement. Miss a whole lot of what everyone is doing but just kinda trying to change my time usage.

Used to stay up until like 12-1 then wake up for work and then be demotivated later in the day to do anything else. This past month I changed my gym time to 5 AM and bed time to 9:00-10 PM and just see if I see an improvement in certain things.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I’m 22 so to say it feels different is an understatement. Miss a whole lot of what everyone is doing but just kinda trying to change my time usage.

Used to stay up until like 12-1 then wake up for work and then be demotivated later in the day to do anything else. This past month I changed my gym time to 5 AM and bed time to 9:00-10 PM and just see if I see an improvement in certain things.

Is it really what they are doing though? You can never know for sure.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Is it really what they are doing though? You can never know for sure.

I might be old hat (29), but I hope Facebook goes away. Total timesink. It filled a void when SMS/MMS was limited, FaceTime didn't exist, and no other social media avenue was available.

Snapchat is essentially morphing into Facebook 2.0, which is horrible. The whole "Discover" tab is embarrassing. I only use it for Family and son photos. My nephew uses it as a way to SMS without his parents knowing .

I don't really know what Instagram purpose is. To me, it's tumblr without nudity. Don't use Tumblr either.

Twitter, I don't use it, but I'm fine with it. Seems like a ticker system for headlines. Short, concise, no nonsense photos, 9gag crap.

Reddit, love, try to avoid the trap of just searching and searching.

LinkedIn, ok, Microsoft attempt at Facebook, used to be way better .
IMO

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Just like Snapchat stories can see what some of my friends are doing people that I might not talk to everyday but still are friends with.

Ok, yeah, I’m aware of Snapchat, but I’ve never used it. I was talking more about Facebook or Twitter where people will talk about how great they are then you’re appalled when you see how they treat people IRL.

As an example, the Ice Bucket Challenge. As I understand it, you were supposed to dump the bucket of ice on your head and then donate to ALS research. But I saw a lot of people just doing it as a look at me thing and really didn’t give a damn about ALS.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I might be old hat (29), but I hope Facebook goes away. Total timesink. It filled a void when SMS/MMS was limited, FaceTime didn't exist, and no other social media avenue was available.

Snapchat is essentially morphing into Facebook 2.0, which is horrible. The whole "Discover" tab is embarrassing. I only use it for Family and son photos. My nephew uses it as a way to SMS without his parents knowing .

I don't really know what Instagram purpose is. To me, it's tumblr without nudity. Don't use Tumblr either.

Twitter, I don't use it, but I'm fine with it. Seems like a ticker system for headlines. Short, concise, no nonsense photos, 9gag crap.

Reddit, love, try to avoid the trap of just searching and searching.

IMO

I know what you are talking about with reddit. I love to read other people’s perspectives, especially those I might not agree with, and you can find a topic on literally anything there. It’s an amazing learning tool but yeah, I could read that all day.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Reddit is absolute garbage. It's the dregs of social media/the internet. No other platform even comes close to being as bad.

I’ve seen this viewpoint a lot, but to each their own. I want to know what other people are talking about on a deeper level and you can find that on reddit. That’s not to say you will not see some stuff you wish you didn’t, but that is interesting to me. I’ve never posted there.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I’ve seen this viewpoint a lot, but to each their own. I want to know what other people are talking about on a deeper level and you can find that on reddit. That’s not to say you will not see some stuff you wish you didn’t, but that is interesting to me. I’ve never posted there.

If you like masochism, Reddit is for you.

It's not for me. I can see/hear what people are talking about on a deeper level without resorting to the trash that comprises the majority of Reddit. I've never seen so many stupid people gathered in one place, all presenting stupid opinions. Between that and 4chan, you could probably nuke every regular contributor on both platforms, and the world wouldn't flinch. :laugh:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

It's not for me. I can see/hear what people are talking about on a deeper level without resorting to the trash that comprises the majority of Reddit. I've never seen so many stupid people gathered in one place, all presenting stupid opinions. Between that and 4chan, you could probably nuke every regular contributor on both platforms, and the world wouldn't flinch. :laugh:

I hear you. There is a lot of shit to wade through, I’ll give you that. But there are also things being discussed that very few people would ever discuss publicly and I want to know what they really think, even if it is ugly. Maybe I am a masochist. :laugh:

Social media is an interesting tool. But like I said at the beginning, you never truly know what is real and what is a false representation.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I use (mostly just view, not post) twitter. Facebook is for kids pictures and I'm on this lovely site.

Never done snapchat, insta, tumbler, reddit or anything else. That said, I still feel like I'm online way too much, checking sites to see if anything new in sports or news happened in the last 30 minutes. Admittedly, part of that is from being bored at work, but I think I would be better of if I was checking stuff less.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Depends on what you are looking for. I usually use it to research things I'm doing, find someone who has done things before, etc. I do agree tho, redditors are nuts and judgey the majority of the time.

4chan/9gag is just no.

Lol but everyone is different.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
totally off topic. i am watching the funeral of Pres Bush...... alots of good humor.... didn't really understand his sense of humor when he is one on one with these foreign leaders.....

Man..... America really produce many great leaders.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Never was into social media at all for a number of reasons. Trust me when I say you're doing the right thing.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I look at Facebook for 2 group pages (one for everything work related, one my gaming group of friends). And then Facebook messenger with the same group of friends. That’s all I use FB for. Never post anything.

Don’t have any others, including Twitter. Mostly cuz it’s obnoxious seeing other people I’m hanging out with constantly looking at their phones while we hang out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad