Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Sorry for your loss, bwc. I hope your warm memories of her help you through this difficult time.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Anyone else keep getting logged out of HF or is it just me?
I think HFB admin changed some settings. I've been logged off too many times too.

More annoying, though, is that my maximum posts per page was reduced from 50 to 25 in the recent past. Previously in settings we were able to set 50 posts per page rather than the default 25 (in "Settings>Preferences"). That option is currently missing. Fewer pages is better. I think that bandwidth use is being limited right now with the draft looming tonight.

Edit...back to being able to load 50 pages and posts per page.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Are they working to fix the boards, because the forums have been a shit show since the draft.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Are they working to fix the boards, because the forums have been a **** show since the draft.

The site was basically unusable for a couple days, but it’s been working fine for me since yesterday afternoon. July 1 may not be pretty.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Saw Tag over the weekend with the missus. Was expecting an okay flick that dragged the premise too long, but it was actually a legitimately hilarious film. Would highly recommend.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't like most of the cast so probably wont ever give film a look

Ed Helms was ok on office but I find everything else he has done to be pretty terrible. Hamm and Renner are meh while the guy from Zoey Deschanel show has never been funny to me and I dont find Hannibal Burress funny either

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I don't like most of the cast so probably wont ever give film a look

Ed Helms was ok on office but I find everything else he has done to be pretty terrible. Hamm and Renner are meh while the guy from Zoey Deschanel show has never been funny to me and I dont find Hannibal Burress funny either

The first Hangover was hysterical.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not huge on really anybody in the film, but all in all the cast really gelled well and there was a good chemistry between everybody.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Saw Tag over the weekend with the missus. Was expecting an okay flick that dragged the premise too long, but it was actually a legitimately hilarious film. Would highly recommend.

I saw it and found it entertaining too. Was surprised how packed movie was last weekend but maybe some people couldn't get into Jurassic World or Incredibles. The annoying thing is when I try to go see dumb comedies like this I always get treated to at least one preview for a horror movie I'd never go to. No thank you creepy nun movie!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So I’m in a weird situation.

The job I had lined up for post-graduation fell through (well didn’t fall through, but their timeline is different than mine), so I started applying for other jobs.

I had an interview with State Farm last Monday, and then another one with a bank this Monday. I think I prefer the job with the bank, but State Farm offered me the job today. Fidelity has said they want a second interview, but there is no promise of a job. Like I said, the one with the bank is kind of a position I’d really prefer, but I’d hate to turn down State Farm and then not get the other job offer. Not really totally sure how to handle the situation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Is the State Farm gig in their corporate HQ? I can vouch for Bloomington-Normal as a nice town at least. There's a massive undercurrent of concern over State Farm moving too many jobs down south and out west which would murder the housing market in the area, though. Town is essentially in a perpetual buyer's market as a result. You'd pretty easily be able to get a house if you were committed to the area.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So I’m in a weird situation.

The job I had lined up for post-graduation fell through (well didn’t fall through, but their timeline is different than mine), so I started applying for other jobs.

I had an interview with State Farm last Monday, and then another one with a bank this Monday. I think I prefer the job with the bank, but State Farm offered me the job today. Fidelity has said they want a second interview, but there is no promise of a job. Like I said, the one with the bank is kind of a position I’d really prefer, but I’d hate to turn down State Farm and then not get the other job offer. Not really totally sure how to handle the situation.

Can you just ask for time to decide?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Can you just ask for time to decide?

I’d ask when they need an answer by.

He said he could give me a little time, but my second interview with the bank is too far away. And I don’t want to keep him waiting either, because he has to get back to the other people who interviewed, which I can understand for sure. I am leaning forwards declining the offer and hoping all going well elsewhere, but it’s an odd situation. I feel really bad about turning the man down. I know it happens a lot, but it’s just not something I’d ever really thought much about.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Is the State Farm gig in their corporate HQ? I can vouch for Bloomington-Normal as a nice town at least. There's a massive undercurrent of concern over State Farm moving too many jobs down south and out west which would murder the housing market in the area, though. Town is essentially in a perpetual buyer's market as a result. You'd pretty easily be able to get a house if you were committed to the area.

Nah, this job is in my local area at an agent’s office.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I guess it depends on your situation, too. Are you in an urgent "I need to have a job ASAP" mode or do you have the finances/ability to be jobless for a while if you decline this AND don't get one of the other jobs? If that's the case, I'd probably take a shot at hoping one of those other ones comes through and give them a chance versus taking the State Farm gig. Tough call, though. I get it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Speaking of jobs, I have an interview tomorrow........ where my wife works.

Still unsure how I feel about that, but we would be in entirely different departments. Not to mention the pay increase would be very, very significant.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Speaking of jobs, I have an interview tomorrow........ where my wife works.

Still unsure how I feel about that, but we would be in entirely different departments. Not to mention the pay increase would be very, very significant.

Best of luck.

OCMC - Just spreadsheet the pros and cons and then make the choice. Personally I but assign values to each pro and con based on my need and then go from there. I could be weird for doing that though.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I guess it depends on your situation, too. Are you in an urgent "I need to have a job ASAP" mode or do you have the finances/ability to be jobless for a while if you decline this AND don't get one of the other jobs? If that's the case, I'd probably take a shot at hoping one of those other ones comes through and give them a chance versus taking the State Farm gig. Tough call, though. I get it.

I’m actually doing some landscaping and painting right now. Pays cash, and a pretty solid rate (better than State Farm, actually haha), so I’m definitely not in a situation where I need a job as soon as possible.

I have decided to decline the offer and hope all goes well with the bank. They asked me back for a second interview, so I just need to keep doing what I’ve been doing, and I think I should be able to pull it off. If not, I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing now, and something will come around eventually.

Weird situation to be in, but I am thankful that I at least have places interested in me - and also some work to do while I figure it out. Not everyone is that blessed.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Best of luck.

OCMC - Just spreadsheet the pros and cons and then make the choice. Personally I but assign values to each pro and con based on my need and then go from there. I could be weird for doing that though.

I didn’t do it with a spreadsheet, but I talked to one of my best buddies and my dad about it. I have my whole life ahead of me, so I may as well shoot for the job I want more right now. I didn’t see State Farm as something I’d probably end up doing long-term, where I see more of that potential with the bank job. Of course, that could totally be wrong, but I may as well shoot for the job I want more right now, and see where things go. Have plenty of years ahead to figure things out.

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didn’t do it with a spreadsheet, but I talked to one of my best buddies and my dad about it. I have my whole life ahead of me, so I may as well shoot for the job I want more right now. I didn’t see State Farm as something I’d probably end up doing long-term, where I see more of that potential with the bank job. Of course, that could totally be wrong, but I may as well shoot for the job I want more right now, and see where things go. Have plenty of years ahead to figure things out.

Go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad