OT: Anything Goes 10: Very Very Very Important not useless thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
It's the “Scarlett Letter†for Illinois scofflaws.

State Tollway officials have published its list of shame -- deadbeat drivers who owe more than a thousand bucks in unpaid fines.

One day after Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn signed a bill into law okaying the public browbeating, the names are up at illinoistollway.com. The banner at the top of the page reads, “List of Super Scofflaws. Learn more.â€
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...ases-list-of-‘super-scofflaws’-170629551.html

At least none of us are on the list.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I haven't posted in a week or so. Been trying to get my feet wet at college. I've now been on campus a week and finish my first week of classes tomorrow morning. There's all kinds of **** to do. That's a perk of a big university. All kinds of parties and social events to go to, as well as a ton of people I've met to do stuff with. The campus is really great. I worked very hard for a long time to come here, and it's everything I could have asked for and more. And even though they're awful, I have season tickets and will be at the first football game Saturday morning. Half my classes are sports-related classes. My sports management teacher used to work for the Pistons. I'd recommend this place to anyone. It's not the best school ever, but it's the best school for me.

Can't wait to add watching NFL, NBA, and the Hawks to all the other stuff to do!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I remember when I worked for a state representative's office a few years back, and we had a constituent come in because he owed something like $20,000, give or take, to the tollway.

Those folks do not tread gently, believe me. Their response to the state rep was pretty much, "Yeah, what'chu gonna do about it?"

Ended up knocking it down to a few grand, and the tollway folks were acting like they were history's greatest saints for it.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I haven't posted in a week or so. Been trying to get my feet wet at college. I've now been on campus a week and finish my first week of classes tomorrow morning. There's all kinds of **** to do. That's a perk of a big university. All kinds of parties and social events to go to, as well as a ton of people I've met to do stuff with. The campus is really great. I worked very hard for a long time to come here, and it's everything I could have asked for and more. And even though they're awful, I have season tickets and will be at the first football game Saturday morning. Half my classes are sports-related classes. My sports management teacher used to work for the Pistons. I'd recommend this place to anyone. It's not the best school ever, but it's the best school for me.

Can't wait to add watching NFL, NBA, and the Hawks to all the other stuff to do!
u of i was waaaay too big for me. Also realized after a semester at EIU that I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

No, its the best school ever.

Make sure you check out a hockey game, guessing the season starts in about a month.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Wait, do you go to Illinois now? If so, awesome, enjoy my hometown! Definitely grab some Papa Del's. Don't want to raise your expectations, but I'd honestly rank their thin pizza as one of the best out there and I have yet to find a deep dish pizza better than their's.

And to reiterate what was already said, definitely catch a club hockey game. ACHA's obviously pretty low-level, but a lot of fun and a great environment.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Wait, do you go to Illinois now? If so, awesome, enjoy my hometown! Definitely grab some Papa Del's. Don't want to raise your expectations, but I'd honestly rank their thin pizza as one of the best out there and I have yet to find a deep dish pizza better than their's.

And to reiterate what was already said, definitely catch a club hockey game. ACHA's obviously pretty low-level, but a lot of fun and a great environment.

ACHA D-I is very good and getting better all the time. More and more Junior A players going that route every year, especially at the upper tier programs. It's no CHL or NCAA D-I, but it's damn good hockey and continuing to get even better. Below D-I it drops off quite a bit but D-I is strong. Illinois games are a great time.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Oh yeah, don't mean to imply that they're awful or anything. Just don't expect varsity, major junior, or minor league talent, because it ain't there.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
ACHA D-I is very good and getting better all the time. More and more Junior A players going that route every year, especially at the upper tier programs. It's no CHL or NCAA D-I, but it's damn good hockey and continuing to get even better. Below D-I it drops off quite a bit but D-I is strong. Illinois games are a great time.

I played with a lot of guys that played for Team Illinois or played junior A.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
My grandma has had some pretty bad bouts with that lately. Suffice to say I don't have to tell you that sucks.

I had it during the summer and just got a massage to take care of it. Gonna get the athletic trainer to give me a good massage then get it taken care of by a doctor.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
u of i was waaaay too big for me. Also realized after a semester at EIU that I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

You have to have a certain personality to like a big school. As far as academics, I like routines, but I don't like routines when it comes to free time. On a bigger campus, there's more things to do and people to meet. I will never find myself bored. There are all kinds of fun games like football, basketball, volleyball, and hockey, a sweet rec center, friends all over, places to hang, and things to sit in on. It's very cool. Nothing will get too repetitive. I have friends who went with the small school instead and are doing just fine. It's all about the person and what they want to get out of their experience.

No, its the best school ever.

Make sure you check out a hockey game, guessing the season starts in about a month.

It's my dream school, and I have no complaints through the first eight days. I've been out and about, walked everywhere, actually enjoy my classes (having half of them sports-related helps), met tons of people, etc. Football is tomorrow, too, and I have Block I tickets. Can't wait to see some good teams come to Memorial.

As far as attending hockey games, I absolutely will. Live hockey is unreal. Even though it's not WCHA-quality, I am looking forward to the crowd and some competitive games.

Yes, I do. I have heard good things about that place. I have been sticking to the meal plan for the most part. Had Fat Sandwich after a long night of fun and went to Chipotle tonight. It's going to have to be some damn good pizza to remind me of home, but I'm hoping it's awesome. There's a chance I'll go this weekend.

Hockey games are $6 each, and I can get to the ice arena pretty quickly.

I look forward to attending a few games and realize the difference between talent and potential NHL talent, but it's still live hockey. It'll be fun regardless. Can't wait to check one out.

member 151739

October 1st, please come to us soon
We ask only this, will you grant us this boon?
Though Summer's been effervescent, a new beginning shall emerge
Like the falling leaves of Autumn, a season will come forth
The graceful white, the ice sheets laid out
A hero named Kane, sobering up his drunken louts
The champions defend their title with fervor and pride
A suspension for Keith, for there are rules to abide
Oh, but this is a distant future it seems
The waiting has me tearing at the seams
So October 1st, please come to us soon
The next chapter of our heroes awaits, it looms...

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
My mom and stepdad are moving to Chicago. :) I'm pretty excited, now I have an excuse to go to home games again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad