Any updates on Markov's game

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I'm not worried about his point totals so much as how his skating is.

If his skating is back up to snuff and his knee can hold up everything else will fall back into place.

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
A 75% Markov is still better than most. As long as he is healthy he'll do fine.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah I'm not worried about his point totals so much as how his skating is.

If his skating is back up to snuff and his knee can hold up everything else will fall back into place.

Yep, he's playing on a low skill team plus in the KHL they are very loose with handing out assists so he may really have 9-10 pts.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The score keeping in the KHL is almost on par with the NHL, there's no missed assists or stuff like that anymore, things like that became a part of the history about the same time as the USSR.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The low point total is pretty concerning to me. I think if he's a decent #3 d-man (if there's a season this year), that's a good stepping stone for a full season next year.

I don't believe the KHL awards secondary assists, or at least much more sparingly than they do in the NHL. Obviously as a dman, Markov would be racking up a lot of secondary assists.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I don't believe the KHL awards secondary assists, or at least much more sparingly than they do in the NHL. Obviously as a dman, Markov would be racking up a lot of secondary assists.

Yes. I've always thought that second assists is the stat that is
most important to puck moving D-men.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

heh, you guys are really trying hard to excuse Markov's sub-par play.

Take a look at Sergei Gonchar's numbers in the same league.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Vityaz is one of the worst team in the league......Gonchar is playing on one of the best team in the KHL and with Malkin as well, for Vityaz, the best forward are Korolyuk and Hennessy.....

Joey

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario

I did, and you know what jumped out?

Markov's team: 2 guys over 20 points, none above 25
Gonchar's team: 8 guys over 20 points, 2 above 60 (including Evgeni Malkin)

Do you really want to compare Markov's and Gonchar's stats?

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
With Markov I'm not really concerned about his ability. It's all mental. If he's worried every time he goes in the corner to fight for the puck that he'll blow out his knee, he'll be liability on the ice. We all remember how Komisarek looked when he came back from his shoulder injury.

And if he's worried about getting re-injured, it will affect his play all over the ice. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
With Markov I'm not really concerned about his ability. It's all mental. If he's worried every time he goes in the corner to fight for the puck that he'll blow out his knee, he'll be liability on the ice. We all remember how Komisarek looked when he came back from his shoulder injury.

And if he's worried about getting re-injured, it will affect his play all over the ice. It will be interesting to see how he bounces back.

Seeing as he got in a fight after coming back from his rib injury, seems to me he's pretty fearless.

If there's one Hab I'm not worried about, it's Carey Price. Then it's Andrei Markov.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Maybe it's just a cHekhov thing...their Assist totals seem out of whack with goals. Nobody has more than 11 assists. Magnitogorsk the assist to goal ratio is more like an NHL team.

I'm not too concerned about his hands, vision or hockey sense. The fact that he's played 6 weeks of KHL and had no setbacks or issues is huge. from the video I saw he is moving very well and he'll have the benefit of having played while half of NHLers are just skating and doing conditionning stuff.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
I did, and you know what jumped out?

Markov's team: 2 guys over 20 points, none above 25
Gonchar's team: 8 guys over 20 points, 2 above 60 (including Evgeni Malkin)

Do you really want to compare Markov's and Gonchar's stats?

Wow, thanks for fishing that out.

I think this closes the ''Markov does not have enough points in the KHL'' thing. How can he be racking up the points if no one on his team is scoring? He is a good defenseman but Bobby Orr he is not.

Makes you wonder why he chose that team.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Wow, thanks for fishing that out.

I think this closes the ''Markov does not have enough points in the KHL'' thing. How can he be racking up the points if no one on his team is scoring? He is a good defenseman but Bobby Orr he is not.

Makes you wonder why he chose that team

Probably the highest bidder in all likelihood. There probably wasn't an abundance of teams knocking on his door for his services this time around, given the injury history and the lack of playing time. I'm not saying this to slight Markov in any way, but to me given how bad this team is... It's kind of the only thing that makes sense to me.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Markov didn't really have a choice, he didn't take the first flight home the way many other Russians did, he only started looking for a KHL team later on, and even then, not many teams were knocking down the door for a player who isn't that marketable and whose insurance costs are considerable.

Vityaz was the only team to show interest as far as we know.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
In case anyone was wondering, Markov was invited to the KHL's all-star game (same with Emelin!) so obviously he isn't doing too shabby over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad