Any updates on Markov's game

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Markov is kind of a strange cat he used to eat a lot at this restaurant I worked at. He'd just sit at the back by himself with a mountain of food eating and looking at his cell phone. Sometimes he'd be with some russian bimbo and would just be doing the same thing not even talking to her lol.

But he is one helluva hockey player. Guy hasn't played much in 3 years, better he gets some serious hockey warm up in Russia than on a practice rink. Plus he could injure himself in a practice anyways pivoting on a rut or something so it's not like he's at seriously more risk in low contact Russian hockey.

e46330ivs*

Markov is kind of a strange cat he used to eat a lot at this restaurant I worked at. He'd just sit at the back by himself with a mountain of food eating and looking at his cell phone. Sometimes he'd be with some russian bimbo and would just be doing the same thing not even talking to her lol.

But he is one helluva hockey player. Guy hasn't played much in 3 years, better he gets some serious hockey warm up in Russia than on a practice rink. Plus he could injure himself in a practice anyways pivoting on a rut or something so it's not like he's at seriously more risk in low contact Russian hockey.

do you blame him, russian/canadian/whatever not many women have anything interesting to say anyways.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

You see I'd be skeptical about this if it was another player, but with Markov this makes a lot of sense. A lot of times with him it's not even the language barrier, I just think he's that introverted. That's why I could never buy all those Mr. Hab-esque conspiracies about Markov stealing from the Habs or whatever, more than Russia or Canada I think the man seriously just lives for hockey. That's also why I wouldn't write him off just yet.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Exactly, he's the kind of guy who doesn't talk often, but makes it count when he does.

Worst Photoshop ever but, yeah, I only had a minute lol.

bob.gif

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
You see I'd be skeptical about this if it was another player, but with Markov this makes a lot of sense. A lot of times with him it's not even the language barrier, I just think he's that introverted. That's why I could never buy all those Mr. Hab-esque conspiracies about Markov stealing from the Habs or whatever, more than Russia or Canada I think the man seriously just lives for hockey. That's also why I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I hope you're right (but sounds like you're not that far from writing him off! since you mentioned it! maybe one more injury away from writing him off? ;) ). Anyways...I hope you're right about Markov because (imo) when you live for hockey (especially when we're talking/referring to the NHL) you can see that a player lives for hockey and has that passion to do anything it takes to win in the PLAYOFFS (ex: Gorges, Subban, Roy, Claude Lemieux, Kirk ''is work'' Muller, Koivu, etc). I have yet to see this in Markov when it comes to the playoffs (not even close)...and I'm waiting to be proven wrong (hope he proves me wrong...I'd rather be wrong of course so our Habs can win).

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Markov speaks about it. http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...s+controversy+playing+game/7790413/story.html

I really don't see how this is a controversy, at all.

Also LOL at that comment from some old man. "Mark-do me a favor and stay in Russia-don't need you here in th free world,"

Surprised no one quoted Markov on this one (Don Meehan part)...

''I’m not a boy who’s 16 years old,” Markov said. “I’m a big man and I make my decisions. (Playing) is my decision.”
Markov said he had spoken to his Toronto-based agent, Don Meehan, “who told me, ‘Don’t practice, don’t even think about the (KHL) game,” he said. “But like I said, I’m a big man and I’m responsible for my decisions.''
(imo sounds like a 9 year-old said the above! I can't be the only one! anyways it's just my opinion!;), and yes...I can act like a 9 year-old as well, so I'm just having fun with this...don't take this too seriously...not good for your blood pressure!!:p:;)).

And...how dare Meehan tell Markov what to do...no wonder Markov played that last KHL game...he had to show everyone that he's an adult now...and not a not a 16year-old anymore, nor a 12 year-old or a 9 year-old. I'm glad Markov defended himself.

Go Markov Go (just stay healthy for once...can't wait to see him play with Emelin).

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Surprised no one quoted Markov on this one (Don Meehan part)...

''I’m not a boy who’s 16 years old,†Markov said. “I’m a big man and I make my decisions. (Playing) is my decision.â€
Markov said he had spoken to his Toronto-based agent, Don Meehan, “who told me, ‘Don’t practice, don’t even think about the (KHL) game,†he said. “But like I said, I’m a big man and I’m responsible for my decisions.''
(imo sounds like a 9 year-old said the above! I can't be the only one! anyways it's just my opinion!;), and yes...I can act like a 9 year-old as well, so I'm just having fun with this...don't take this too seriously...not good for your blood pressure!!:p:;)).

And...how dare Meehan tell Markov what to do...no wonder Markov played that last KHL game...he had to show everyone that he's an adult now...and not a not a 16year-old anymore, nor a 12 year-old or a 9 year-old. I'm glad Markov defended himself.

Go Markov Go (just stay healthy for once...can't wait to see him play with Emelin).

I don't know if I want Emelin playing on his off side but at the same time I don't know if he could play top minutes with PK either. If Markov could play top minutes again then he could partner with Gorges but I think PK deserves top minutes because he just eats them up and spits them out. It'll be interesting how the pairings work out.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't know if I want Emelin playing on his off side but at the same time I don't know if he could play top minutes with PK either. If Markov could play top minutes again then he could partner with Gorges but I think PK deserves top minutes because he just eats them up and spits them out. It'll be interesting how the pairings work out.

Gorges can play the right side or left side...and does a solid job.
But funny enough no one ever mentions trying Markov on the right side? (this way Emelin can be on the left side...no?).
A lot of us Hab fans seem to agree with a Markov-Emelin pairing, but like you...I'm not sure if Emelin can be effective on the right side (I hope so)...we'll just have to wait and see what the coach does with the pairings...could be interesting. Maybe Emelin with Subban?
I actually want to separate the two best dmen (Subban and Gorges) to spread the wealth/quality to other pairings.

Many options:
Emelin-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Bouillon-Diaz
Kaberle

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Kaberle
Emelin-Bouillon
Diaz

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Diaz
Kaberle

Markov-Subban
Bouillon/Emelin-Gorges
Emelin/Bouillon-Diaz
Kaberle

Can't wait for the 19th!!! (even though I'm still bitter about the long depressing lockout).

Last edited:

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
I expect Therrien will dress an extra dman for most games in case of injury, alot of movement in the 3rd pairing anyway. Diaz at forward would be interesting imo.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=649548

The best example of this came in 2009-10, the last time Markov played a significant number of games. Including the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Canadiens were 29-16-8 in the 53 games in which Markov dressed and 15-23-2 when he didn't. Overall, since the start of the 2009-10 season, the Canadiens have a 38-22-13 record with Markov in the lineup and an 84-86-21 record without him

In 2009-10, the Canadiens power play clicked 24.5 percent of the time in the 45 regular- season games Markov played; that figure dipped to 18.2 percent in the 37 games he missed with injuries. The difference was equally striking in the playoffs, with the Canadiens scoring on 20.6 percent of their power plays in eight games with Markov but connecting on only 12.8 percent in 11 games without him.

Interesting numbers all the same.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm actually excited...IF only Markov could pull off staying healthy and playing well like he can (all-cerebral)...yes we might need a misracle for Markov to stay healthy but it will be very entertaining for our PP if he can! also 'cause it would be the first time that Subban and Kaberle can benefit from the PP by playing with Markov.
(if only for once since 4 years he can manage to stay healthy, or else I'm quickly going back to bashing his jinxed/glass body! and begging management for an iron-man top 4 dman that we badly need).

PP Power (many options):
Markov-Subban (1st PP unit)
or
Markov-Kaberle
or
Kaberle-Subban
or
Markov-Diaz
or
Kaberle-Diaz (2nd PP unit)

etc,etc...

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Gorges can play the right side or left side...and does a solid job.
But funny enough no one ever mentions trying Markov on the right side? (this way Emelin can be on the left side...no?).

Some Dmen can adjust defensively better than others to playing their weak side. I'm sure they've tried Markov on right side in practice a few times, and I would hope a NHL coach would be able to tell how well he can play it (or Markov himself).

Some like Gorges can adapt, but others like Spacek never could. It was a shame about Spacek cuz I really think that was a huge problem with his mostly underwhelming tenure in Montreal, the few times he did get a chance to play on his natural LD side he looked a lot stronger.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
If you want to get pumped up about Markov's return, just get a look at the Canadiens comeback against the Rangers in 2008. The team had an amazing game, and he was the best both sides of the ice. Stealing pucks, amazing positionning, incredible vision in the transition and very patient with the puck.

Sadly, injuries slowed him down the last couple of years while he was about to reach his peak (it's hard to really tell since he was progressing each and every year).

All in all, I'm really excited to have him back in the lineup for, let's hope so, a long stretch.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

Chelios had pretty serious knee issues, then recovered and played 16 more years. Markov probably takes better care of his health and fitness than even Chelly. Draw your conclusions. I'm not counting Markov out just yet.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I hope you're right (but sounds like you're not that far from writing him off! since you mentioned it! maybe one more injury away from writing him off? ;) ). Anyways...I hope you're right about Markov because (imo) when you live for hockey (especially when we're talking/referring to the NHL) you can see that a player lives for hockey and has that passion to do anything it takes to win in the PLAYOFFS (ex: Gorges, Subban, Roy, Claude Lemieux, Kirk ''is work'' Muller, Koivu, etc). I have yet to see this in Markov when it comes to the playoffs (not even close)...and I'm waiting to be proven wrong (hope he proves me wrong...I'd rather be wrong of course so our Habs can win).

Too bad Markov was never in the playoffs with a team that had any chance of winning, and with mostly crappy players playing on fumes. I guess Orr won those two cups by himself too.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Some Dmen can adjust defensively better than others to playing their weak side. I'm sure they've tried Markov on right side in practice a few times, and I would hope a NHL coach would be able to tell how well he can play it (or Markov himself).

Some like Gorges can adapt, but others like Spacek never could. It was a shame about Spacek cuz I really think that was a huge problem with his mostly underwhelming tenure in Montreal, the few times he did get a chance to play on his natural LD side he looked a lot stronger.

Well, we all (or a lot of us) would like to see Emelin play with Markov (Russian duo), but...somew might thinkg the veteran (markov) shojuld try the right side so that Emelin gets the left side,etc.... unless Emelin could adapt quickly.

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
Markov on his role in the KHL: "I was one of the tough guys and had to get into some fights."

Not quite sure how to look at that.
His team was incredibly soft obviously but allowing Markov to sit in the penalty box rather than on the ice...something smells there.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

The key on that is the power play, Markov has a good case of being the best PP defenseman of his time. He's never really dominated the ES game, although that might be attributable to the Habs habit of having him carry some third pairing quality guy (Komisarek, OByrne, Bergeron etc.) to balance the pairings.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
only a fringe analyst on rds would take what markov is doing negatively

so either you come back and twirl your thumbs till training camp starts, OR

you stay and play a few more games to get rid as much rust as possible so you can come back in the best game shape you can cause you know you respect the team and want to give them your best

but ofcourse it cant possibly be the second thing
it has to be that he's disrespecting the team and the fans cause he's russian

I like Markov as a player but what he did was incredibly selfish and ignorant. After two seasons of cashing an enormous paycheck that he barely played under, his responsibility was to the Montreal Canadiens....end of story. He can say that he is a man but it is accountability and responsibility that seperate a man from a boy, and he didn't display either of those virtues. If he hurts himself, he still gets paid but the Canadiens are left with a hole that they can't fill, just like the one that he has left them with for the last two seasons. He was just cashing in on another couple of games as locked out players are paid per games played while leaving the accountability and responsibility with the Canadiens. Sounds like an immature teenager taking off with Daddy's car without permission for a night on the town.

If he blows out his knee in those games would you still feel the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad