Any Number you shouldn't be?

pfloyd75

Sep 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
In my game last night the other team had both a 99 and a 66. It made me think about this thread and I had a good chuckle about it.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I was always number 77 when I had a chance in juniors. If you like a certain number, there's no reasons not to wear it.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
In any case, most of this thread cracks me up. Maybe it's from growing up playing other sports in addition to hockey, but I've never seen anyone in another sport go out there and say, "He's wearing the distinctive number of a great player! I must go defend that player's honor by taking a shot at this pseudo-great!"

That's because hockey is different from the other sports. The other sports There is no one with a "distinct" number.

Plenty of QB's have worn #16. Plenty of WR's have worn #80. Plenty of baseball players have worn.....well, every number you can think of. Sure, there's some locally recognizable unis, but there's almost no distinctive number in those sports (with rosters of 40 and 53 players) where a number is only universally identified with one player. Even basketball, despite the small roster size, has distinct numbers. 8 and 23 are the most popular, but they aren't singular.

But aside from that, those games are just different. Basketball and baseball have no meaningful physical contact. Football players don't choose whether or not they're going to tackle the ball carrier. None of the other sports have as many players get into the game. None of the other sports have the kinds of line and position changes during the game that are so frequent in hockey that make it so important (and difficult) to distinguish one player from another. Hockey has a different culture than the other sports.....and that unique culture is a beautiful part of the fabric of the game.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The only number I used to laugh at was when players chose 69. Sort of trying a little bit too hard.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I wore 99 for one season, there was no other choice. We showed up late the first night and the only two numbers left were 99 and 11. My buddy was first in line, looked at the 99 and said "no way I'm wearing that". I caught some crap for it too. Thing is, with a number like 99 or 66, you kind of stick out so you automatically attract attention. Plus most people assume you want that number because you think your all that.

These days, I'd stay away from 87 too.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
I wore 99 for one season, there was no other choice. We showed up late the first night and the only two numbers left were 99 and 11. My buddy was first in line, looked at the 99 and said "no way I'm wearing that". I caught some crap for it too. Thing is, with a number like 99 or 66, you kind of stick out so you automatically attract attention. Plus most people assume you want that number because you think your all that.

I think 87 might be a bit different because of people using due to their birth year.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
I'm 22 years old and play in an adult league with a lot of younger guys, and in this league if you're wearing a certain number you will definitely get **** for it, and be considered a huge ******. If you wear 99, you should be shot.

If you wear 66, you should be hanged.

Other than that, 87, 68, 77...those numbers can be risky. This probably isn't the case in all leagues, especially those tight-knit leagues where most guys are friends, but the league I play in isn't really like that.

Also, does it really piss you off when guys wear absolutely ridiculous gear, or use leopard print tape on their stick? I guess in itself it doesn't matter, but that is so friggin old already. I feel like using low-profile gear is the new risque move.

pfloyd75

Sep 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Also, does it really piss you off when guys wear absolutely ridiculous gear, or use leopard print tape on their stick? I guess in itself it doesn't matter, but that is so friggin old already. I feel like using low-profile gear is the new risque move.

The only thing that annoys me are tinted or mirrored visors.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Also, does it really piss you off when guys wear absolutely ridiculous gear, or use leopard print tape on their stick?

i think it looks absolutely ridiculous, but at the same time some of those guys can absolutely annihilate me out there. lol If I'm tight with them I crucify them mercilessly about it, but it's all good.

gintonic

Jan 16, 2009

At least with that number (87) you could always claim to be a Brashear fan or something. With 99 I don't think there was ever any other player to wear that was there?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
At least with that number (87) you could always claim to be a Brashear fan or something. With 99 I don't think there was ever any other player to wear that was there?

Joe Lamb

Des Roche

Leo Bourgault

Wilf Paiement

oh and Dudley on the Jets

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Some people take this stuff way too seriously. I mean really? Getting offended by someone else's jersey number? Grow up.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Some people take this stuff way too seriously. I mean really? Getting offended by someone else's jersey number? Grow up.

It's not that it's offensive.....it's that, as stick9 so perfectly said, it's a flashy number that stands out and automatically draws attention to you. People who wear such numbers (and equipment) appear to be going out of their way to unnecessarily draw attention upon themselves. If you've ever played hockey before, I'm sure you have your own personal opinions and feelings about opponents (or even teammates) who seem to have a need to draw extra attention upon themselves. Regardless of whether one's feelings towards such players are positive or negative, regardless of the relevance or influence that the opinions of someone else should have, and regardless of what the individual players actual intent is (personality vs. vanity), the simple fact is it does automatically draw more attention to you.

If you've ever played the game, then you should know that it is easier to succeed on the ice when the opposing team doesn't know where you are.....when you can find a quiet patch of open ice, or slide towards the doorstep of the crease unchallenged, or slip unnoticed behind the defense in the neutral zone looking for a breakout pass. Flashy equipment/numbers/etc. draw constant attention. That means defenders will be playing you closer, goaltenders and defenders will be quicker to locate you in a prime scoring areas, the agitators on other teams will be drawn to you, and your opponents will learn your playing tendencies a lot faster than normal. Anything that stands out unnecessarily and draws attention to you specifically puts a giant flashing target on you which will in turn reduce the open ice and skating room you have, thus making it harder for you to be successful. How much harder is debatable (it might only be a negligible amount), but the more attention you bring upon yourself, the more difficult your game will become.

Is that worth the expression of one's individuality? It's up to each person to decide for themselves, but it's still something that must be considered.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I wear number 2 on most of my jerseys and the name on it is PSYCHO. Number 2 for Eddie Shore .... OLDTIME HOCKEY!!!! See all my fans in the seats????

1249888916_l.jpg

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA

If a guy I don't know (another team or stranger at pickup hockey) has 99 as their jersey number I'll draw one of the following conclusions:

1. He's got a big ego
2. He's a puck hog
3. He thinks he's more important than the rest of the team
4. He's only concerned about his points, not about going into the corners or playing defense

I'm a pretty low key guy but these things will be in the back of my mind until I get to know the player. Granted, you can tell where he stands skill-wise and attitude-wise by the time he finishes his first shift but until then all eyes will be on him and all the whispering will be about him.

For what it's worth the NHL made #99 uncool to wear when they retired Gretzky's number across all 30 teams. Wearing #4 won't draw as much attention unless you're a defenseman who pinches too much and gets burned for it ("Who do you think you are, Bobby Orr?) or you wear #9 and throw elbows a lot (Howe). I wear #26 because my team colors match the Tampa Bay Lightning. I'm a small guy who's always liked Martin St. Louis' game though I can only dream of having his speed. Wearing my birth year has never been an option as I was born in 1969.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I dont really see anyone getting offended. Maybe re-read the thread?

********. People rattle cages for wearing 99 and 66. You're gonna get "Gretzky and Lemieux" calls all game, along with a bench full of insults whenever you won't bury on a chance. Couple that with extra slashes and attention, and I wouldn't wear either...

Yeah, that's absurd and beyond childish. I repeat, if you or anyone on your team is acting that way because of someone's number, you need to grow the **** up. It's a game, and it doesn't belong to you.

This thread makes me want to change my number to 99 and get some yellow laces, just to piss off all of the hyper-sensitive hockey snobs out there.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The fact that I'd have to pay for a new jersey! :cry:

I'll definitely order yellow laces with my next shipment though.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Don't wear 4, 66 or 99.

Personally I wouldn't wear 9 either, (Howe, Hull, Richard etc.), but I cut people slack on that one. :P

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
The fact that I'd have to pay for a new jersey! :cry:

I'll definitely order yellow laces with my next shipment though.

As long as you can handle a chippy game (not saying every game will be) and as long as you can handle the chirps, go for it.

Its just part of the hockey culture anyone who has played knows the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad