Any Number you shouldn't be?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
If you get 99 or 69, you are automatically a bender.

66, 87, or 8 will lead to 50% of the guys thinking your a bender.

8 i can understand. It's within the lower range of #s and many players wore it before Ovie came to town.

Also, I'm not sure I can wear a jersey of any player younger than me...just feels creepy. Only exception might be Parise. Cause he's the ****in man. lol

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Yeah, well, like I said I wear 93 and 13, but I live in Vancouver so its not an issue, although last year a guy told me after the faceoff to "**** off Sundin!" otherwise I wear black pants, skates, gloves and helmet. I am just speaking for others.

But yeah, adults wearing Crosby's number while playing is kinda sad.

I dont see 93 or 13 being an issue anywhere.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i wore #10 (dale hawerchuk)my whole life until i got traded midseason in jr.s .when i got to my new team there was already a #10 so i took #8 which i had always worn in baseball(gary carter).been wearing #8 for about 20 years now.
i have two sons who play. they both took #13 this season!!! (last year they were #8, and #9 on their respective teams) i was shocked and figured it was bad luck, but my one boy is demolishing his whole league and the other is also a doing very well, so i guess numbers really don't mean a thing.
i would def. avoid the following though.69,99,66,88,87,00 and if you want to blend in , a single digit or # below 30 will do.

Sens16

Dec 15, 2009
Detroit
At times numbers do matter because a lot of people will be chirpin you for it. Even if your play is the complete opposite of the jersey you are wearing people will be swearing at you and say that you play like ****.

Back when I played high school hockey I would always pick #16 after my favorite hockey player(Hull) and still do in my rec league. I have some offensive talent but I'm more looked at as being a grinder.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
8 i can understand. It's within the lower range of #s and many players wore it before Ovie came to town.

Also, I'm not sure I can wear a jersey of any player younger than me...just feels creepy. Only exception might be Parise. Cause he's the ****in man. lol

8 is perfectly fine. Low number, very traditional. Numbers only make you look like a bender if they're very specifically associated with one player. 99, 66, 87, 71, and so on. Kane has eased the stigma associated with 88 (in a way only a new star player could), so that one's off the list.

Oh, and 69. That one is an absolute indicator of a hoser.

Also, don't wear a goalie number unless you're a goalie. It just looks weird, and might piss off a goalie joining the team who wants his number.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
8 is perfectly fine. Low number, very traditional. Numbers only make you look like a bender if they're very specifically associated with one player. 99, 66, 87, 71, and so on. Kane has eased the stigma associated with 88 (in a way only a new star player could), so that one's off the list.

Oh, and 69. That one is an absolute indicator of a hoser.

Also, don't wear a goalie number unless you're a goalie. It just looks weird, and might piss off a goalie joining the team who wants his number.

Ovi has ruined the 8 in some folks minds but your dead on.

SuicideKings15

Nov 3, 2009
London, ON
I've worn 15 since I started playing Atom. 69 is a touchy one. No great player (or decent player) has ever worn it, but everyone knows what it means, and it's just not funny anymore.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
if you're Chinese, you shouldnt have a 4 in your number, esp 44 because 4 sounds like 'death' in the language

On the other hand, having an 8 is lucky beacuse 8 sounds like 'fortune' in the language

Saved*

You only wear a superstar number if you can back it up.

I wear 81.

trisgale

Dec 16, 2009
SoCal
Thanks for the replies, and as a newbie I had to look up what a bender is. Which unfortunately I probably am. Old man beginner here 41 y.o, was born in 68. But I guess that number won't be used. I'll just reverse my age and be 14.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I either were 11 or 21. There is a 18 year old who wears a Crosby jersey but no one gives him any flack. He's a decent player, great skater, but not the best finishing skills. More of a playmaker. But no one minds. It helps during line changes, "Crosby, get the hell off the ice!"

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I wear 91 in ball hockey, but I'm pretty big guy so I don't get a lot of beaking coming my way. I do get some slashes and such but I don't think it's cause of my jersey, since I'm kind of a cheap player though, try to get as physical as possible 'cause it's second nature and all coming from being a Linebacker in football so I do get some of that stuff.

Regarding the number issue, I think you should stay away from the big two in 66 and 99, just 'cause it'll get you some unwanted attention. Some guys wear it because they like that attention. I've seen 66 a few times and a buddy of mine on my line has 99, it suits him though cause he's a really slick skinny player like Gretzky, likes going behind the net and he's really creative. I lead the league in goals but truthfully I only have really good speed and a pretty deadly and accurate wrister, other then that I'm leaching of him since he usually finds me in the slot with no one on me cause they got about 3 guys trying to take the ball off his stick so no one can really beak him.

Even then you still look like a bender

Who cares? Guys can call you a bender or whatever all they want, all you gotta do is quote your stat line and the score.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Who cares? Guys can call you a bender or whatever all they want, all you gotta do is quote your stat line and the score.

Yes we know, it has been stated many times already by many different people.

Wear whatever number you want but be prepared to to take the abuse for it.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Who fricking cares? Wear whatever number you want. It is just a beer league. If you are getting hacked and chirped for wearing a certain number those dudes need to get laid.

Last edited:

pfloyd75

Sep 17, 2008
Atlanta, GA
********. People rattle cages for wearing 99 and 66. You're gonna get "Gretzky and Lemieux" calls all game, along with a bench full of insults whenever you won't bury on a chance. Couple that with extra slashes and attention, and I wouldn't wear either...

If you've seen this happen, then I'm sorry but you play with some a-holes. Granted, I play with some of them too but I've never ever seen anyone get any grief over a freakin number in beer league. That's pretty much bush league material there. Anyone who gives someone serious crap (good natured ribbing is fine IMO- and yes they probably deserve a bit of that) for wearing 99 or 66 or 87 or 3.14 or whatever number they wear isn't much of a man (or woman) IMO.

All that said- I don't wear either number. The way I see it, I didn't like Gretzky or Lemieux as players so why should I show them any respect by wearing their number? Like I said before- some of you guys get too worked up over this.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
99, 66 = bender

If you wear number 8 and you have yellow laces, you will be considered a bender.

I suppose if I saw someone wearing 87 and he was diving or whining to the refs I'd call them a bender as well.

Edit- of course, wear whatever number you want. Just expect to take some grief for it.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Who fricking cares? Wear whatever number you want. It is just a beer league. If you are getting hacked and chirped for wearing a certain number those dudes need to get laid.

If you're playing in beer leagues, there are guaranteed to be some guys there who need to get laid and who haven't been laid since before the NHL lockout.

So since those guys ARE going to be there there, your statement is completely irrelevant.

So the real question then becomes: do you want to be the guy who has to deal with the all hacking, and the cheap shots, and the constant grief that goes along with wearing the numbers that you KNOW are going to bring those responses.

For the umpteen-millionth time.......if you want wear a number, fine! Go ahead! Wear whatever number you want. Just know understand what problems are likely going to be associated with it, both for yourself (if you wear a "sacred" number) or for your team (like wearing a typical goalie number).

That's the whole point of this thread, isn't? That the OP has a question about what jersey numbers represent and the etiquette behind them. Call it stupid if you want, but if one chooses to ignore the standard hockey protocols, one should know what to expect when they do so.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
99, 66 = bender

If you wear number 8 and you have yellow laces, you will be considered a bender.

I suppose if I saw someone wearing 87 and he was diving or whining to the refs I'd call them a bender as well.

Edit- of course, wear whatever number you want. Just expect to take some grief for it.

What exactly does wearing a certain number have to do with being a "bender"?

A "bender" is someone who can't skate. There is no correlation between ones skating ability and what number they wear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad