Any Number you shouldn't be?

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Yeah, that's absurd and beyond childish. I repeat, if you or anyone on your team is acting that way because of someone's number, you need to grow the **** up. It's a game, and it doesn't belong to you.

This thread makes me want to change my number to 99 and get some yellow laces, just to piss off all of the hyper-sensitive hockey snobs out there.

Once again, you wont be "pissing" people off, they will be "pissing" you off after a game or two.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
it's ok though. scouts are there. with contracts in their pockets!!

We played a team this past summer that had a guy like that. it was his team and he ran it and played the part.

He also had a huge beard that had not been trimmed in 2 years (best guess).

Every play the little crosscheck in the back in the crease, glove wash, spear, shinwhack after the whistle etc etc etc.

I asked if he noticed that he was the ONLY one being a total a#@-hole out there. he just gritted his teeth with a mean face.

What a useless backwoods hicked jamook.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
We played a team this past summer that had a guy like that. it was his team and he ran it and played the part.

He also had a huge beard that had not been trimmed in 2 years (best guess).

Every play the little crosscheck in the back in the crease, glove wash, spear, shinwhack after the whistle etc etc etc.

I asked if he noticed that he was the ONLY one being a total a#@-hole out there. he just gritted his teeth with a mean face.

What a useless backwoods hicked jamook.

lol dear god, thats one of the best phrases I've ever heard.

I usually just play drop-in because of my schedule and we've got guys who just hack and hack and hack. I don't mind a little bump in the corner or when you're fighting for the puck, but stop ****ing hacking at my ankles. If i've got a step on you either bust your ass or admit defeat. Don't hook me. We've all gotta go back to work after this.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
is there anything worse than playing some pickup and some ********* gives you a 2 hander on the wrist. I mean really WTF I have to work later. the scouts are at the other rink dummy.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
[/B]

lol dear god, thats one of the best phrases I've ever heard.

I usually just play drop-in because of my schedule and we've got guys who just hack and hack and hack. I don't mind a little bump in the corner or when you're fighting for the puck, but stop ****ing hacking at my ankles. If i've got a step on you either bust your ass or admit defeat. Don't hook me. We've all gotta go back to work after this.

Most guys are okay so those meatheads stick out. I see a lot of tougher than you are "oh yeah" shoving matches.

Sometimes it is warranted but sometimes it is just dumb.

I have more fun with the guys i play with on Wednesday nights who all pay to rent the ice. We have a blast without the stupidity.

is there anything worse than playing some pickup and some ********* gives you a 2 hander on the wrist. I mean really WTF I have to work later. the scouts are at the other rink dummy.

I know it one just has to wonder what goes through someone's head there.

TheSandman

Apr 18, 2006
San Jose
I wear 36 to honor my father's birthyear. He'd be proud of me and my 0 points. :sarcasm: :laugh: Too much talk about picking numbers of other players and not numbers that actually matter.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Some years ago we made a team of all friends pretty much, and one friend was on our team who never played hockey in his life, could barely skate, and we knew this. So when ordering jerseys, we gave him #99. It was pretty funny seeing 99 out on the ice not even be able to move. We have a famous play we still talk about where he took a penalty somehow, got out of the box, and fell down and couldn't get back up, resulting in like a 4 minute PP for the other team, and everyone is just watching him on the ice from the bench laughing their ***** off.

It was just a fun league, ah good times.

edit: And reading through this thread, I know im late to the discussion, but I have a mini rant about the terms bender and all the other juniour hockey bible-esque insults, too lazy and tired to type it now though. :)

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've worn 14 any year i've ever had a choice...
there was one year I joined the team late and they had premade jerseys with numbers....i got stuck with 97.
man did I get hacked and beaked that year....

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Yeah, that's absurd and beyond childish. I repeat, if you or anyone on your team is acting that way because of someone's number, you need to grow the **** up. It's a game, and it doesn't belong to you.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.......WHOA!!!

Do you mean to imply that there might actually be absurd childish people who play in amateur organized sports leagues?! Well, bust my buttons and call in the fire brigade!!!

I suppose that in the magical pixie dust-laced fantasy world that you live in--where all hockey players are mature respectful gentlefolk of good breeding and manner, and where everybody rides to the rink on flying unicorns that poop out majestic rainbows--perhaps none of this shall be of any concern to you, and therefore you need not worry about it.

But for the rest of us who live in the unicorn-less land of reality, it can be helpful to inform others of problems that may arise with one's jersey selection including (but not limited to) being razzed and hacked at by members of the opposing team, screwing up your team's roster, damaging your game by drawing attention to yourself, and causing those around you (possibly even your own teammates) to think of you in an unfavorable manner. I know, I know.....perish the thought of such barbarism.

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
I've worn 14 any year i've ever had a choice...
there was one year I joined the team late and they had premade jerseys with numbers....i got stuck with 97.
man did I get hacked and beaked that year....

why?

I hate all numbers in the twenties...

Danrik

It is what it is.
Oct 17, 2006
Super Surrey, BC
I wear my kids birthdays:

I don't really care what other people wear. Haven't seen a 99 but when I see a 66 I do think to myself "You're not Lemiuex you know..."

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
87 doesn't own more records than most people have hair follicles.

I think irony is the only reason for 99 and 66.

That and some people just like to pay homage to their favorite players, an exmaple would be Joe Thornton wearing Yzerman's number.

Pretty much everybody unless it is a rookie assigned a number chooses their number for a reason special to themselves.

If a guy wants 66 because Lemieux wore it or 77 because Bourque wore it then so be it.

I do not have a problem with it personally.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
That and some people just like to pay homage to their favorite players, an exmaple would be Joe Thornton wearing Yzerman's number.

Pretty much everybody unless it is a rookie assigned a number chooses their number for a reason special to themselves.

If a guy wants 66 because Lemieux wore it or 77 because Bourque wore it then so be it.

I do not have a problem with it personally.

I'm not really a chirper, but I'm not a fan of using those two numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad