Player Discussion Anton Forsberg

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Can't see anyone being interested in Forsberg after a down year (like next level bad) with a 2.75 cap hit. At that point, you try your luck with a UFA, Kings got Talbot for 1 mil and he had a way better season than Forsberg is having.
Talbot? There’s some irony here. We ran him out of town (so to speak) and were happy to do so.

Forsberg’s buy out only costs $917 k for 2 years. But, if the strategy for next year includes acquiring a good RD, a new contract for Pinto and perhaps another 2nd/3rd line winger, things will get tight (could be other moves or subtractions of course).

On top of that, Korpisalo will still be getting some starts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If someone offers future considerations or a 7th, take it.
Of course, you get out of 2.75 mil and can sign some discount backup for 1 mil. Problem is it will probably cost us a 2nd+ to dump his contract since it's all risk for the acquiring team, and not a heck of a lot of upside.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
You know what is sad... my Gustavsson game photos coming up as a google photo reminder from his pro debut 6 years ago, yesterday...
To be fair his numbers arent a whole lot better than either Forsberg or Korpisalo for that matter. I shudder to think what his numbers would look like here.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What a difference a year makes...

Actually the post was April 2022 so it was for the 2021-22 season, Forsberg really had a Vezina level season. 0.917 SV% and the 11th best GSAA in the league. Incredible feat in a DJ's messed up team defense.

If Forsberg was still that goalie now, we'd be in the playoffs, particularly since the coaching change. We are more structured and give up less shots/chances but our goaltending has been way worse... go figure

Of course, you get out of 2.75 mil and can sign some discount backup for 1 mil. Problem is it will probably cost us a 2nd+ to dump his contract since it's all risk for the acquiring team, and not a heck of a lot of upside.

Don't think it would cost 2nd + to "dump" him... only 1 year left a 2.75 AAV

It costed a 3rd + 7th to dump 75% of Matt Murray final 2 years ($4,687,500 x 2) and while Forsberg had injury issues, nobody was as injury prone as Matt Murray. Forsberg is still worth half of his salary so we're talking about a 1.5 dump at most (plus cap is rising)

I personally would keep him for the last year to see if he can rebound after more time to heal from injuries. If not, could maybe send him down in the AHL and call up Sogaard if he keeps progressing like he has

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Actually the post was April 2022 so it was for the 2021-22 season, Forsberg really had a Vezina level season. 0.917 SV% and the 11th best GSAA in the league. Incredible feat in a DJ's messed up team defense.

If Forsberg was still that goalie now, we'd be in the playoffs, particularly since the coaching change. We are more structured and give up less shots/chances but our goaltending has been way worse... go figure

Don't think it would cost 2nd + to "dump" him... only 1 year left a 2.75 AAV

It costed a 3rd + 7th to dump 75% of Matt Murray final 2 years ($4,687,500 x 2) and while Forsberg had injury issues, nobody was as injury prone as Matt Murray. Forsberg is still worth half of his salary so we're talking about a 1.5 dump at most (plus cap is rising)

I personally would keep him for the last year to see if he can rebound after more time to heal from injuries. If not, could maybe send him down in the AHL and call up Sogaard if he keeps progressing like he has
Matt Murray was viewed as a potential starter, we didn't just dump him, TO saw some value in a reclamation project.

Forsberg is not and never will be a starter, and he's paid far too much to be a backup that isn't reliable. You can get guys performing as well or better than Forsberg on ~1 mil one year contracts, his salary would be a pure dump with little to no upside since better performance can be had for free for the same caphit.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Matt Murray was viewed as a potential starter, we didn't just dump him, TO saw some value in a reclamation project.

Forsberg is not and never will be a starter, and he's paid far too much to be a backup that isn't reliable. You can get guys performing as well or better than Forsberg on ~1 mil one year contracts, his salary would be a pure dump with little to no upside since better performance can be had for free for the same caphit.

Yeah but Murray hasn't had a season like Forsberg had in 2021-22 since 2018-19

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Except for the 2021-22 season that Xspirit identified I guess which looks pretty decent. Didn’t he get his current contract the year following that good 2021-22 season?

Reactions: Xspyrit

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If someone offers future considerations or a 7th, take it.
About as likely as a team giving Ottawa a 2nd for Brannstrom. Or anything for Brannstrom at all.

Just run with 3 goalies and bury him in the minors next year if he continues to be hilariously terrible.

To be fair his numbers arent a whole lot better than either Forsberg or Korpisalo for that matter. I shudder to think what his numbers would look like here.
They would be better, he's better than both of them. Way more technically sound.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah but Murray hasn't had a season like Forsberg had in 2021-22 since 2018-19
Murray had a track record including Stanley cups, Toronto took a risk hoping his failing here was just the environment not the talent, not the risk I'd have taken, but they clearly hoped it would work

Forsberg having one outlier season doesn't have much of a track record other than as a below average backup. He's not the type of goalie that a team talked a risk on at 31 coming off a season like the one he's having

The situations are not at all comparable, teams aren't tying themselves to Forsberg for a 3rd, maybe if you retain but that's altering the parameters, max retention only gets us 250k more cap space than burying him in the minors and still results in a bad contract for the acquiring team.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I feel like Toronto also took a chance on Murray knowing they could LTIR/Robidas island him and try to follow Vegas and TBL's tactics.

Stupid rich teams

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Murray had a track record including Stanley cups, Toronto took a risk hoping his failing here was just the environment not the talent, not the risk I'd have taken, but they clearly hoped it would work

Forsberg having one outlier season doesn't have much of a track record other than as a below average backup. He's not the type of goalie that a team talked a risk on at 31 coming off a season like the one he's having

The situations are not at all comparable, teams aren't tying themselves to Forsberg for a 3rd, maybe if you retain but that's altering the parameters, max retention only gets us 250k more cap space than burying him in the minors and still results in a bad contract for the acquiring team.
it wasn’t hard to see Murray was very injury prone, lucky for us Toronto were fools,

Reactions: Xspyrit

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
it wasn’t hard to see Murray was very injury prone, lucky for us Toronto were fools,
They got a draft pick, got us to retain, and could LTIR him without worry. Lucky for us Treliving still can't find a good goalie. Ott was the fool for signing him to his current contract, and still having $1.5 million retained cap that we could've used this year.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They got a draft pick, got us to retain, and could LTIR him without worry. Lucky for us Treliving still can't find a good goalie. Ott was the fool for signing him to his current contract, and still having $1.5 million retained cap that we could've used this year.
If they didn’t get rid of Murray they would have had 6.25 million less cap available,
It was definitely worth dumping him on Toronto.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they didn’t get rid of Murray they would have had 6.25 million less cap available, this year.
It was definitely worth dumping him on Toronto.
Broken Murray is still better than Korpisalo.... And 6.25 less cap space would be offset by LTIR room assuming he ended up on LTIR either way, covered by insurance in all likelihood too.

Edit: I'm fine with how we handled Murray tbh. Retention is not an issue, how we used the cap space we freed up is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
About as likely as a team giving Ottawa a 2nd for Brannstrom. Or anything for Brannstrom at all.

Just run with 3 goalies and bury him in the minors next year if he continues to be hilariously terrible.

They would be better, he's better than both of them. Way more technically sound.
Someone posted he’s the only goalie with a lower Low Danger sv% than korpisalo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I defended Murray here, he was certainly very talented but at some point, the human body has limits and he was "damaged goods" for how much of a beating his body took over the years. He was getting multiple injuries per season even before he started in the NHL. It was a crazy bet for Toronto.

Also important to note the hugh difference in cap hit (6.25 x 2 years vs 2.75 for 1 year)

Broken Murray is still better than Korpisalo.... And 6.25 less cap space would be offset by LTIR room assuming he ended up on LTIR either way, covered by insurance in all likelihood too.

Edit: I'm fine with how we handled Murray tbh. Retention is not an issue, how we used the cap space we freed up is.

Yeah but he doesn't play as he's always injured. It was actually a good trade by Dorion but still wasted assets and cap space because he gave him that horrible contract.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Healthy Murray way better than the two we have now. But also too expensive. Didn’t he have like a .909 with us? Scary. It can always be worse I suppose.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Healthy Murray way better than the two we have now. But also too expensive. Didn’t he have like a .909 with us? Scary. It can always be worse I suppose.
.893 and .906,
League averages were also a little better then, than now. But ya, he just couldn’t stay healthy, and still can’t.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I defended Murray here, he was certainly very talented but at some point, the human body has limits and he was "damaged goods" for how much of a beating his body took over the years. He was getting multiple injuries per season even before he started in the NHL. It was a crazy bet for Toronto.

Also important to note the hugh difference in cap hit (6.25 x 2 years vs 2.75 for 1 year)

Yeah but he doesn't play as he's always injured. It was actually a good trade by Dorion but still wasted assets and cap space because he gave him that horrible contract.
Mm no not a good trade. And even worse contract. But def better than korpisalo who might legit me the worst goalie to have played a game in the NHL this year

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Mm no not a good trade. And even worse contract. But def better than korpisalo who might legit me the worst goalie to have played a game in the NHL this year
I'd say the trade was justifiable, contract was absolutely not. Like if Murray was signed for 2 years at $4.5 million aav, I could understand the risk being taken, but the 4 year deal just screamed poor player evaluation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad