Player Discussion Anton Forsberg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sogaard being exposed to this mess is not ideal. Hopefully they call up Mandolese instead.

whomever they bring up has to be the starter this afternoon….and the players better play like they want the goaltender to succeed and perhaps find some confidence in him, as it’s beginning to look like there is little confidence in Korpisalo.

i May as well be Sogaard, as he is been tagged as the future starter, and the younger core players ….you would hope…would rally around him.

a win this afternoon over the absolute worse team in the NHL this season is a very low bar, and nothing to pound their chest about if they manage to win…. But with J Martin as Head Coach, he has them playing at a .273 P% pace, so Expectations are not high

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
whomever they bring up has to be the starter this afternoon….and the players better play like they want the goaltender to succeed and perhaps find some confidence in him, as it’s beginning to look like there is little confidence in Korpisalo.

i May as well be Sogaard, as he is been tagged as the future starter, and the younger core players ….you would hope…would rally around him.

a win this afternoon over the absolute worse team in the NHL this season is a very low bar, and nothing to pound their chest about if they manage to win…. But with J Martin as Head Coach, he has them playing at a .273 P% pace, so Expectations are not high
How tall are you?

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Merillainen was called up from Allen, and was on the bench last night in Belleville, Mandolese was the starter played the whole game and let in 8 goals. Sogaard will be the backup for the Sens today i would imagine

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Merillainen was called up from Allen, and was on the bench last night in Belleville, Mandolese was the starter played the whole game and let in 8 goals. Sogaard will be the backup for the Sens today i would imagine
If winning games is the objective, then Korpisalo should play. If evaluating prospects is the goal, then Sogaard should play.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

I think this is a pretty careless approach when it comes to a critical prospect like Sogaard. Considering there is almost nothing to gain I would be factoring the worst case, that he comes in and the team play doesn't change, morale continues to drop and the tension between team and fans keeps going up and he exits with a GAA above 3.5. That's not a good situation for a young goalie.

On the flip side yes he could spark the team, he gets 10 or so games of NHL experience in a lost season and perhaps we can only go up from here. Maybe he will be part of the second half redemption tour and gets that fireman hat a couple times, who knows.

I personally feel that it isn't worth the risk especially when you look at how good things are going in Belleville right now.

Anyway, moot point. He's up and let's hope for the best. Always exciting watching your goalie of the future get reps regardless.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think this is a pretty careless approach when it comes to a critical prospect like Sogaard. Considering there is almost nothing to gain I would be factoring the worst case, that he comes in and the team play doesn't change, morale continues to drop and the tension between team and fans keeps going up and he exits with a GAA above 3.5. That's not a good situation for a young goalie.

On the flip side yes he could spark the team, he gets 10 or so games of NHL experience in a lost season and perhaps we can only go up from here. Maybe he will be part of the second half redemption tour and gets that fireman hat a couple times, who knows.

I personally feel that it isn't worth the risk especially when you look at how good things are going in Belleville right now.

Anyway, moot point. He's up and let's hope for the best. Always exciting watching your goalie of the future get reps regardless.
Sogaard could be a big part of the solution or at the very least not contribute to the problem which the other two do

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If winning games is the objective, then Korpisalo should play. If evaluating prospects is the goal, then Sogaard should play.
uhhhh hahahaha. I dunno, but Korpi is carrying this team to a tank season right now. I just dont want to see Soogard get shelled here. Until everyone starts buying in and pulling on the rope the same direction its not going to get any better.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Sogaard could be a big part of the solution or at the very least not contribute to the problem which the other two do
Our goaltending is not as bad as the team in front of them is making them look. Logic would suggest that Sogaard would be victim to this too. To believe otherwise is wishful thinking and a bit careless with regard to Sogaard's development imo.

Anyway, he's up so time will tell and I'm not saying that it is a foregone conclusion, just saying there is risk and I don't think it is worth it at this particular time in the season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Our goaltending is not as bad as the team in front of them is making them look. Logic would suggest that Sogaard would be victim to this too. To believe otherwise is wishful thinking and a bit careless with regard to Sogaard's development imo.

Anyway, he's up so time will tell and I'm not saying that it is a foregone conclusion, just saying there is risk and I don't think it is worth it at this particular time in the season.
Before this recent very bad stretch, out team was not as bad as the goaltending behind them made them look.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If you can boost his value in the next two weeks do you trade him at the deadline for a third round pick or do you keep him as the perennial insurance policy that he is?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Solid back up. Unless someone offers us a 2nd, is it worth it to trade a backup who is serviceable at his job?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Solid back up. Unless someone offers us a 2nd, is it worth it to trade a backup who is serviceable at his job?
Normally I don’t think so, but unless you buyout Korpisalo I’m not sure you have a choice honestly. We can’t go into next season with this tandem, so logically we probably have to move Forsberg to make space for someone that can push Korpisalo to a back up role.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
It feels like since the injury he hasn't really been that serviceable though, right? The last week or so has been encouraging at least.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
And signed to a reasonable number.

I tend to agree. On one hand if you trade him you create a hole that you might regret next year. But on the other hand if you open up the spot you create an opportunity to strike gold with the next backup, like countless teams are seemingly able to do these days.*

I would draw the line at a 2nd like you said. If someone wants to offer us a second or better then cut bait. If a third or worse I don't think it is worth the risk of not finding a viable alternative. He could be bought out next year if a better option presents itself down the road. $916k buyout cost if anyone is curious.

* this is assuming Sogaard isn't the answer

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Watch him somehow rebound on another team after he gets bought out/traded.

It might happen as he is still young enough for a goalie but he might be just another guy that needs to heal from injuries properly (if possible)

Think of how long it took for Batherson and Norris was in the same process befroe getting re-injured.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If we have a buyer for Forsberg sure sell him for a 7th or futures, but I could stomach him back as a backup with only 1 year left. Korpisalo is the worse out of them both and behind a competent 1a I could see Forsberg not being a liability.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we have a buyer for Forsberg sure sell him for a 7th or futures, but I could stomach him back as a backup with only 1 year left. Korpisalo is the worse out of them both and behind a competent 1a I could see Forsberg not being a liability.
Can't see anyone being interested in Forsberg after a down year (like next level bad) with a 2.75 cap hit. At that point, you try your luck with a UFA, Kings got Talbot for 1 mil and he had a way better season than Forsberg is having.

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Can't see anyone being interested in Forsberg after a down year (like next level bad) with a 2.75 cap hit. At that point, you try your luck with a UFA, Kings got Talbot for 1 mil and he had a way better season than Forsberg is having.
If Staios decides to buy him out, I'd be fine with that too, it'd be $916,667 which isn't the worst, especially since Korpisalo's buyout cap hit not going past $900k until after 2 years.

Still if Staios can get anything for him, that'll be some savvy GMing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad