Confirmed with Link: Anton Forsberg extended at 2.75 AAV x 3 years

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We had zero leverage??

Forsberg has been good this season but he was NEVER going to be getting this term or money elsewhere. Come on.
It doesn't matter what he'd have gotten elsewhere it's what it costs to get something similar to him here. We have no real leverage, we can either let him walk and overpay someone else, or overpay him. I have no issues with thinking we should have focused on a different goalie, but we'd likely have to overpay them too

Reactions: Yak

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It doesn't matter what he'd have gotten elsewhere it's what it costs to get something similar to him here. We have no real leverage, we can either let him walk and overpay someone else, or overpay him. I have no issues with thinking we should have focused on a different goalie, but we'd likely have to overpay them too

Yeah sure, no other GM would have been able to secure a journeyman backup goalie for less than 3 years at nearly $3M......

He had some leverage here because of our situation but to say we HAD to give him this big a contract to keep him around is quite the stretch, especially knowing how Dorion loves to overpay for flash in the pan type goalies before they vanish from the league.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Dorion's goaltending investments so far:

Andrew Hammond
3 year 4.05M extension
included as cap dump in Duchene trade less than 1.5 years later

Mike Condon
3 year 7.2M extension
traded as cap dump less than 1.5 years later

Craig Anderson
2 year 9.5M extension locking up his age-37 and 38 seasons a year early
Anderson was cooked and terrible both years

Anders Nilsson
2 year 5.2M extension
will end up playing 19 mediocre games

Matt Murray
acquired for 2nd round pick and then signed for 4 years and 25M
has provided no value and might be bought out

Needless to say, I'm not optimistic about this Forsberg deal.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Put me in the camp of not thrilled. Have liked his game for sure, but we've done this before with not good results. I hope its different this time. I really do.

Reactions: DrEasy

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Because he's barely had one good season in the NHL, and outside of that he's been a fringe NHLer?

I'm sure other teams had interest in acquiring him now or this summer, but there's very little chance he gets a 3 year contract like this anywhere else.
The guy in Arizona with even less track record signed a nearly identical deal. Check capfriendly for all the guys around that caphit with worse stats. The idea he would NEVER get that deal somewhere else is not a reasonable statement to make. Chris Driedger, for instance, signed for 3 years in Seattle and more AAV with even less proven track record.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I don't mind this. Cheap enough so that it doesn't cripple us, not like that's possible anwyays when you're so beneath the cap ceiling.

Goalies are late bloomers and he's finally playing a lot of games, looks technically sound. Maybe he can grow into this and be our guy until Gustavsson/Soogard are ready.

I hope this means that Murray is gone though.

I have seen a couple of posts like this so far about this contract not being "too bad" or other terms like "not a boat anchor" or "doesn't cripple us". I am not picking on you by the way, I just happened to quote your post, but the issue is not that $2.75 over three years is a bad contract in and of itself....it is a bad contract (for now at least) when you consider every other terrible contract that Dorion has handed out the past few years. Just terrible contract after terrible contract that when you put them all together, have become more than just boat anchors cumulatively.

Dadonov
Murray
Del Zotto
J. Brown
Gudbranson

Not to mention other bad deals handed out in the past.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its a gamble at that price and term.. but.. Dorion has created a mess of the goal tending position and this guy has played well for the Senators.
It gives them a little certainty to start next year and hopefully his play does not drop off too much.

Now they have to deal with Murray and Gustavsson. After losing Daccord ..now we may be looking at losing Gus as well.
If Murray gets healthy down the stretch and/or before the season. they have a 3 goalie issue , over $10m ..and its still a question mark as to what they will get.

Reactions: Yak and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because he's barely had one good season in the NHL, and outside of that he's been a fringe NHLer?

I'm sure other teams had interest in acquiring him now or this summer, but there's very little chance he gets a 3 year contract like this anywhere else.
I dont agree with you often, but this one is bang on. This move honestly doesnt bother me relative to the other things that have happened.

Reactions: cudi

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Andrew Hammond/Mike Condon 3.0

This time next year, we'll be looking for a way to get out of this contract.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah sure, no other GM would have been able to secure a journeyman backup goalie for less than 3 years at nearly $3M......

He had some leverage here because of our situation but to say we HAD to give him this big a contract to keep him around is quite the stretch, especially knowing how Dorion loves to overpay for flash in the pan type goalies before they vanish from the league.
Not at all what I said, what I said is we had no leverage, not that it was a good deal or one that we had to make. I never made any suggestion that Forsberg would have gotten as much elsewhere, in fact I suggested the opposite, it's not what he can get elsewhere that is important, its what we have to pay to acquire a goalie we are comfortable with if Murray's out all season again. We probably end up overpaying Greiss or Koskinen if we don't re-sign Forsberg. Maybe Martin Jones... sooo many possible Dorion moves.

Dorion could choose between overpaying Forsberg, or likely overpaying somebody else either by trade or as a UFA, because we can't afford to go into next season with Murray as the only proven goalie.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So every day that we play we will have at least $2.75M sitting on our bench doing nothing (more when Murray is the one sitting). Spending so much money on a backup goalie is just not a good use of assets, especially when you're operating with a budget that is way below the cap. Of course we've done this before when we signed both Anderson and Condon to extensions, or when we extended Hammond while still having Anderson on payroll. We saw the result.

The only way this makes sense is if Murray is on LTIR. It's not that I don't like Forsberg as a goalie, and I actually have higher hopes for him than I do for Murray.

The money spent on MDZ + Hamonic + Forsberg would fetch a pretty good top 6 forward or top 4 D...

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
So every day that we play we will have at least $2.75M sitting on our bench doing nothing (more when Murray is the one sitting). Spending so much money on a backup goalie is just not a good use of assets, especially when you're operating with a budget that is way below the cap. Of course we've done this before when we signed both Anderson and Condon to extensions, or when we extended Hammond while still having Anderson on payroll. We saw the result.

The only way this makes sense is if Murray is on LTIR. It's not that I don't like Forsberg as a goalie, and I actually have higher hopes for him than I do for Murray.

The money spent on MDZ + Hamonic + Forsberg would fetch a pretty good top 6 forward or top 4 D...
Murray can’t be counted on to stay healthy, and Gus hasn’t played well enough to merit throwing him in to what would probably be 50+ games at the rate Murray gets injured.

We need goaltending if we have any hope, assuming Forsberg continues to play the way he has there is nowhere that money is better spent. The issue is moreso Murray’s contract than Forsberg’s but we’re stuck with it.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Forsberg has been playing well and parlayed his leverage in our untenable situation

Maybe this time it works out - maybe he lives up to this

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would have liked to see the average closer to $2 mil, but that's still a decent contract.

It's a movable contract, at any rate. If Gus blows the door off the place next season, and we can't bury Murray somewhere, we can move Forsberg (if that's the direction we choose).

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
On its own, this deal is fine. We have a goalie that can play some games while our main guy (Murray) is out long term and our touted prospects have shat the bed when given a chance to perform (Gus). The term and length isn't the end of the world, it feels like a fair market value of a back up who has been probably our best player the last little while.

Issue becomes Dorion. He shouldn't be allowed to give out any deals to any goaltender given how bad he is at talent evaluation. We need a leadership change in management and I don't trust Dorion to get anything done right. We lost Daccord for nothing and have a log jam for next year as well with Gus being on a one way.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We had to lose Daccord or Gus, nothing wrong with choosing Gus. We even exposed Murray which was also the right move.

Nothing wrong with taking cheap fliers on goalies who kick down the door. If it’s flash in the pan the guys are easy enough to move, as we have seen. If we get another late bloomer like Andy, then it’s a home run.

Either way there is very little risk, and the GM should be able to run this game over and over and over again as there is basically zero risk.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This contract was exactly what I figured it would take to re-sign Forsberg now. Should have moved him and circled back in the summer.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Dorion's goaltending investments so far:

Andrew Hammond
3 year 4.05M extension
included as cap dump in Duchene trade less than 1.5 years later

Mike Condon
3 year 7.2M extension
traded as cap dump less than 1.5 years later

Craig Anderson
2 year 9.5M extension locking up his age-37 and 38 seasons a year early
Anderson was cooked and terrible both years

Anders Nilsson
2 year 5.2M extension
will end up playing 19 mediocre games

Matt Murray
acquired for 2nd round pick and then signed for 4 years and 25M
has provided no value and might be bought out

Needless to say, I'm not optimistic about this Forsberg deal.
Hammond was a pretty obvious candidate to regress, but that deal was pretty cheap tbh. The cap dump says more about our finances than that deal itself. Barely above $1M... hard to say that's a bad contract. Should be a meaningless thing to bury in the AHL.

Condon was 1 year too long but injuries derailed him. He was probably a decent backup had he stayed healthy.

Anderson... loved him but we did not need to give him that second year. Especially at that stage of his career.

Nilsson was the same as Condon, a slightly higher than ideal AAV but a good length. Injuries were the issue after that contract was signed.

Murray was a bad contract imo. Way too long, way too big of a risk.

For me, the bigger money deals were the mistakes. The backups he signed were not that bad. Maybe slightly too high AAV or one extra year, but that's the Ottawa tax whether we like it or not. Hopefully the guys they've drafted work out. But of all his signings, this one may be one of the better ones (or least bad?)

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
and there's enough evidence through his results to suggest he may be a decent goalie. NHL stats are okay, but largely on very poor teams which likely drags his stats down. AHL results are excellent. I think the difference between this deal and the Hammond/Condon deals is that this one could end up being a very good deal if this recent play is sustainable. Not sure Condon or Hammond deals ever had that upside.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad