Confirmed with Link: Anton Forsberg extended at 2.75 AAV x 3 years

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
When I hear guys like Mike McKenna talking glowingly of Forsberg, it makes me thinks he's not another goalie on a hot streak like Hammond or Condon but a guy who has finally received an opportunity to play in the NHL regularly.

I'd rather see a 2 year deal for a guy with his track record but goalies are voodoo. It's so hard to predict what they're going to do.

I just hope this means they're moving on from Murray. Dorion pumping his tires on TSN this morning made little sense unless he's foolish enough to think someone would trade for him. Buyout would be more likely. Not much difference going forward with the cap or dollars by going with Forsberg and a bought out Murray vs just Murray.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: DrEasy

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Once again it looks like this team has no real plan and just reacts to situations as they occur.

At least this year I know not to get my hopes up for next season well before the start of the season.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Murray being made of glass means Forsberg gets paid big time. Good for him.

Now we hope he doesn't go bad on us immediately.

I liked getting Murray because him getting back to being a decent starter seemed inevitble. He kind of did in spurts but he's always hurt. We had no choice.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
3 one way goalies signed for next year. Something has to give.

Gus will probably go on waivers and then get called up when Murray spends 75% of the season injured, assuming he isn’t claimed.

Reactions: DrEasy

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
What else is Doiron going to do?

Murray has been wildly inconsistent at best, and can't stay healthy. He traded for Murray and signed him to that ridiculous contract, now he needs to pay again because if he doesn't he could be going into 2022/23 with what amounts to no proven goaltending. Forsberg has been dependable and $2.75 AAV for that is perfectly fine in the NHL. He will be either the clear #1 or at best in a 1a/1b situation with Murray assuming Murray can even play consistently next year. And Forsberg who has bounced around the league gets a 3 year deal which I am sure he is happy with.

Good move considering the circumstances.

Reactions: KingAlfie11

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I love it, the AVV is very manageable and right now Forsberg is the best GK we've got! Pierre gets an A+ from me!

Reactions: guyzeur

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Another Dodo Dorion special. Too much salary plus too much term on a player without leverage for either. But forsberg has been good, Hope he can keep it going.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
3 year term is just stupid. Should have been 1 year or 2 max for a career backup on a heater. Wonder if they buyout Murray

Reactions: Icelevel

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow two straight days of meltdown in here.

Glad to see Forsberg signed he’s been great for us. Gus is clearly not ready, and Murray is injury prone.

If he keeps up his play it’s a great deal. I liked the comparisons to Andy by McKenna over Hamburgaler/Condon, I’m pulling for the guy to be that late bloomer finally getting his shot!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Meh, the AAV is low enough that if he does suck then you can burry him. We'll see if this turns out to be another Condon/Hammond/Nillson or an Anderson.
Sure but..when you give “well the AAV is low enough that if he does suck” for multiple players than you can’t actually bury anyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad