Prospect Info: Anthony Stolarz

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They also shouldn't trade their starting goalie till they know they have a better one lined up.

Waiting till the middle of next season won't kill his trade value. Dubnyk returned a 3rd as a free agent last January despite only been one year removed from a .891 season.

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They also shouldn't trade their starting goalie till they know they have a better one lined up.

Waiting till the middle of next season won't kill his trade value. Dubnyk returned a 3rd as a free agent last January despite only been one year removed from a .891 season.

Maybe they could get 2nd if they trade him this year. It's stand to reason they would get more with the extra year on his deal.

As far as next year, you can always find average goalies on the market for cheap. Maybe the Flyers luck out a get another Neuvirth like (so far) performance for a year out of the guy they sign. Even if they guess wrong, it doesn't really matter. The Flyers with Mason won't be challenging for the cup next year anyway.

So the question needs to be answered is do the Flyers view Mason as the goalie for 2018/2019 and thus willing to commit to him before his contract runs out at or greater than his current cap hit for term. If the answer is no, trade him when you can get the most for him. If they think they can get him for cheaper once he hits UFA and sees the market, then get the asset and let him perform for some other team one last year and then try to sign him for cheap. The only risk is a bad season next year. What's the reward if they keep him next season, a first round exit?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They could get a 2nd if they trade him in 2017, because he's a better goalie with a more consistent recent record than Dubnyk had when he was traded for a 3rd.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Pointless argument as it's not going to happen. Hextall's not going to put the cart before the horse here. Odds are he wants Mason to be here going forward & is going to let the situation play out.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Now with the cap stagnating, he might not be able to get big money. He will be 29 at the end of his contract, so I doubt he will get much more than 4-5 years on his deal max so in the end it might not be that bad cause the cap is plateauing. But I doubt he will get a pay decrease from his $4.1 million. If the Flyers offer that he will walk. So this is also a question of asset management. If you wait til the middle of next season, you kill his trade value. If you do it now or this offseason you might be able to get something for him. So instead of letting him walk for nothing, why not get an asset while you can. The Flyers are still in a rebuilding phase and shouldn't let assets just walk for nothing.

The cap is estimated to rise by 3 million next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A few million would be just enough to make it easier to move a couple players this offseason and to carry Vinnie and Umberger one more season before buying them out, if needed. Not enough to inflate salaries but enough to give Hextall breathing room.

Pray with me: our salary cap maven, who art in league headquarters, have mercy on us.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Agreed.

This is one of those situations that there is no need to do a deal early. And next year thru the season, decide which direction to go in. Either way, I only go with a 3 year deal. And who knows, you might be able to play the 2 goalies agents against each other to get a better deal.

Mason's agent knows that Neuvirth would love a starting role and will settle for like a 2-3 million dollar deal for a few years so he has good job security.

Hopefully we get Mason for 3 years around 5 million.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
A lot of GMs don't expect it go up by much at all.

With the way Alberta is going and the CDN dollar so low, I can see the cap not rising at all .

Regarding Mase, he isn't going anywhere next year, but with Neuvy also signed next year, I don't think it's a lock that Mase is here long term. Neuvy will continue to push him IMO.

kwickly

Apr 27, 2015
Hey guys I'm a Sabres fan, but more importantly a big Stolarz fan. His size and athleticism always intrigued me. I see theres some debate as to when Stolarz will be ready for the big league, I'm not looking to start anything amongst yourselves, but is there a consensus as to when he'll be in the NHL? I can't wait to see him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hey guys I'm a Sabres fan, but more importantly a big Stolarz fan. His size and athleticism always intrigued me. I see theres some debate as to when Stolarz will be ready for the big league, I'm not looking to start anything amongst yourselves, but is there a consensus as to when he'll be in the NHL? I can't wait to see him.

With any regularity the earliest would be 2017-18 after one of Mason or Neuvirth leaves. If a trade or injury were to occur before then, I think he'd be capable to handle backuo duties, but at this point I'd rather have him start consistently in the AHL.

kwickly

Apr 27, 2015
With any regularity the earliest would be 2017-18 after one of Mason or Neuvirth leaves. If a trade or injury were to occur before then, I think he'd be capable to handle backuo duties, but at this point I'd rather have him start consistently in the AHL.

Yeah I would agree regular minutes in the AHL is best for him, thanks for the response, I think he's gonna be a good one

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
He seems to be playing well enough that one wouldn't have to alter one's defensive system to shelter him a bit.

No need for a Stolarz system.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad