Prospect Info: Anthony Stolarz

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Been watching the Flyers next goalie hope in the London/Barrie series. He was ok in game 2. But the last 2 games in Barrie he looks like (shudder) Bryzgalov. He's big. That's all I have positive to say about him.

Poor puckhandling (he virtually turns it over everytime he touches it) Immobile (the only saves he makes are when the puck hits him, rarely does he move into a save. He just looks rattled all the time.(like Bryz) Barrie scored on the first shot on net (not his fault). But London dominated this game and in the 3rd, 4 of the next 7 shots went past him or through him. Prior to that the shots were 25-10 London so he really didn't have to do anything. I can't believe Hunter let him finish either game. There's no way London should have 12 goals scored on them in 2 games in an OHL championship.

Meanwhile at the other end undrafted Mattias Neiderberger just keeps outplaying every big name goalie thrown at him.

Last edited by a moderator:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Hmm. He's 19, a CHL rookie and still within half a calander year of being a starter at a significant level.

I'd say he's performed extraordinarily well under those circumstances. Lets wait til he has a few years of OHL experience under his belt before we start ripping him for things he hasn't had an opurtunity to work on or correct yet.

His natural talent and athleticism are great as is his work ethic. I'm hopeful that he has the frame of mine, desire and talent to correct his flaws. The kid has a really good hockey head and apparently has an absolutely outstanding work ethic.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
He's a big reason the Knights are in the finals. He's probably played more hockey this year than any other season in his life, considering how hard Hunter has ridden him since he came to the OHL.

I think he'll be fine. I just hope he doesn't start being fine until after he loses this series. :D

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
he's 19 years old....

It's junior...it's not like he's playing out of his age bracket. Obviously he's done some good to put up the numbers he had...he's also on a completely stacked team. But he sure hasn't looked so good in this final.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
He's a big reason the Knights are in the finals. He's probably played more hockey this year than any other season in his life, considering how hard Hunter has ridden him since he came to the OHL.

I think he'll be fine. I just hope he doesn't start being fine until after he loses this series. :D

Charlie - he's played 38 games this year in the OHL, including playoffs. I totally agree with your second comment. :laugh: I'm hoping Flyer scouts have taken notice of Neiderberger, who outplayed Subban in the last round and should win MVP of the playoffs even with Scheifele racking up points like crazy. His size isn't great but his skillset is unbelievable.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Hmm. He's 19, a CHL rookie and still within half a calander year of being a starter at a significant level.

I'd say he's performed extraordinarily well under those circumstances. Lets wait til he has a few years of OHL experience under his belt before we start ripping him for things he hasn't had an opurtunity to work on or correct yet.

His natural talent and athleticism are great as is his work ethic. I'm hopeful that he has the frame of mine, desire and talent to correct his flaws. The kid has a really good hockey head and apparently has an absolutely outstanding work ethic.

As I said, he's put up some great numbers this year. I was expecting this series to be a goalie battle. What I'm seeing is the OHLs version of Jonathan Quick in net for Barrie and Bryz vs the Pens last postseason in net for the Knights. I thought he was supposed to be very mobile for a big guy (and he IS very big) but he's not moving very fast.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Charlie - he's played 38 games this year in the OHL, including playoffs. I totally agree with your second comment. :laugh: I'm hoping Flyer scouts have taken notice of Neiderberger, who outplayed Subban in the last round and should win MVP of the playoffs even with Scheifele racking up points like crazy. His size isn't great but his skillset is unbelievable.

38 games in just over 4 months - with the last month having games every other night for the most part. It's a lot of hockey in a short time frame without a break. Patterson hasn't started a game in ages. It's no wonder the kid's game has taken a bit of a hit.

As for Neiderberger, he's a lot of fun to watch (as long as you're not cheering for the other team!) but I'm not sure he'll ever be an NHL goalie. His size is an issue and there is no way to know how he'll be vs NHL quality shots - he definitely looks great vs the OHL ones.

Flyers2point0

Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
I know he hasn't looked good but he's been good this year. He's young and like most young players, he's going to be inconsistent. And I mean for all we know it could be fatigue or he could be playing through a minor injury. I'm hoping he bounces back for game 5.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Maybe the guys a little rattled. No doubt he's feeling some pressure. I hope he turns out to be a decent goalie...but as Charlie said, that can wait until next year.

As for Neiderberger, he's 5'11" which doesn't bode well for NHL size. But you can't help but love his athleticism, quick reflexes and amazing glove hand.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For my own sanity, I'm trying to forget that Stolarz a) exists and b) is property of the Flyers. As has been said ad nauseum (and rightly so) on these boards, goaltenders are such a crap shoot that Stolarz could be the long-coveted franchise goaltender or he could be the next Maxime Ouellette.

Keeping expectations way, way down until at least the end of next season after he has had a whole year of playing for London.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Way too early to be critiquing him, give him another year or two in the OHL, then we can get a better judgement on him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So two bad games means we should give up on him now?

Neiderberger is also an overager too. He's older than most of his competition. There have been plenty of overaged players who have put up good numbers and gone on to do nothing at the next level.

Nice overreaction thread though.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
as others have said...rookie goalie having a few bad games against the 1st/2nd best team in the league. Shocking.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
So two bad games means we should give up on him now?

Neiderberger is also an overager too. He's older than most of his competition. There have been plenty of overaged players who have put up good numbers and gone on to do nothing at the next level.

Nice overreaction thread though.

Speaking of overreaction...Who said give up on him?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of overreaction...Who said give up on him?

Through implications that's basically what you were saying there.

You were basing this off of two games despite reports of him being good all year. His puck handling has been his weakness ever since he was drafted but nobody has ever questioned his athleticism.

He's had a bad series so far but he was great in the previous three including one where out-dueled John Gibson who many consider the best goalie in the OHL.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Through implications that's basically what you were saying there.

You were basing this off of two games despite reports of him being good all year. His puck handling has been his weakness ever since he was drafted but nobody has ever questioned his athleticism.

He's had a bad series so far but he was great in the previous three including one where out-dueled John Gibson who many consider the best goalie in the OHL.

Not to take anything away from Stolarz, but while he played well in the previous series and had a few moments of fantastic, he wasn't a much of a factor in London beating Gibson. If Gibson's team had shown up, he may have been.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not to take anything away from Stolarz, but while he played well in the previous series and had a few moments of fantastic, he wasn't a much of a factor in London beating Gibson. If Gibson's team had shown up, he may have been.

True but he wasn't a Fleury and did enough for his team to win. He had a few forty save performances during that series if I recall. Granted the Knights did have double digit shot advantedges every night over Kitchener.

Most of the goals during that series that I saw on the highlights were legit skilled goals by a Kitchener player.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

That's a fair assessment. Where Stolarz really shone was in the Plymouth series. I was at the opening game and watched the entire series and he was nothing short of brilliant. I'm watching this series and I think Stolarz is suffering from the sense that he really isn't involved. By that, when he was being physically rushed and ran by the Whalers, he elevated his game to a whole new level. I don't see the Barrie team making the runs at him that the Whalers did and it's been effective. They've taken him out of the series and that's been the difference.

Other than that though, I'm very happy with how Stolarz has progressed. Some have talked about comparing him to the goaltenders of the past the Flyers have drafted, but there's something very different about Stolarz when compared to those other goaltenders. None of them had the athleticism that Stolarz had. On top of it, none of them ever had the work ethic that Stolarz has and Stolarz is benefitting from the work that Bill Dark is doing with him. The fact that Dark has made Steve Mason an NHL goaltender and has made Michael Houser a legitimate prospect speaks in volumes about his work (it should be noted that Houser suffers from club foot and had over 13 operations on his feet to correct the problem).

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I hope he turns out well, but I really don't expect him to turn into anything. Nothing I've seen or read about him as made me feel like he's going to be a starter. Besides I lost faith in the Flyers ability to draft/develop goalies many years ago and as a general rule I just assume they'll be an AHLer at best.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's a fair assessment. Where Stolarz really shone was in the Plymouth series. I was at the opening game and watched the entire series and he was nothing short of brilliant. I'm watching this series and I think Stolarz is suffering from the sense that he really isn't involved. By that, when he was being physically rushed and ran by the Whalers, he elevated his game to a whole new level. I don't see the Barrie team making the runs at him that the Whalers did and it's been effective. They've taken him out of the series and that's been the difference.

Other than that though, I'm very happy with how Stolarz has progressed. Some have talked about comparing him to the goaltenders of the past the Flyers have drafted, but there's something very different about Stolarz when compared to those other goaltenders. None of them had the athleticism that Stolarz had. On top of it, none of them ever had the work ethic that Stolarz has and Stolarz is benefitting from the work that Bill Dark is doing with him. The fact that Dark has made Steve Mason an NHL goaltender and has made Michael Houser a legitimate prospect speaks in volumes about his work (it should be noted that Houser suffers from club foot and had over 13 operations on his feet to correct the problem).

A bit off topic, but what are your thoughts on Dark as a coach? What you've said here intrigues me. Could he be a potential Reese replacement down the line?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
A bit off topic, but what are your thoughts on Dark as a coach? What you've said here intrigues me. Could he be a potential Reese replacement down the line?

Bill Dark is the best junior goaltending coach in Canada, bar none. His work with young goaltenders is outstanding and he's very good at correcting technical flaws. On top of it, he's good at correcting puck handling flaws. One of the things that he made very apparent with Stolarz is that his puck handling has to get better and it's been night and day from when Stolarz came to London.

Dark is excellent at identifying weaknesses in a goaltender's game and correcting them. For instance, he really excelled at helping Michael Houser's footwork and he helped Steve Mason with positioning. Dark's work this upcoming season will be getting Stolarz to handle the puck better and relying less on having to make the athletic save. That's why I feel so good about Stolarz and his development - he's being developed by one of the best goaltending coaches in the business.

And maybe I'm a little too optimistic, but Stolarz is definitely a blue chipper and there have been a lot of GMs in the NHL who think the Flyers found their future goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad