Player Discussion Anthony Richard

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sure, but why do I have to respect him?

I still want to know why? He doesn't look like he's worth having.
It’s a zero risk signing. He plays centre. About to his his prime and he may be too good for the ahl. It’s a two way contract. He might be a providence bruin all year. If he is too good he can be called up on the cheap. This is a good signing

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
He just seems too small to me. The league is going big centers (probably always has been) and considering what we have at center (without Bergeron) this seems like a desperate gamble but sure, whatever, he's probably just a Providence guy anyway.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Is every veteran minor leaguer signed a “desperate gamble”? Bizarre way to look at things to say the least. He’s probably their what, 6C?

If they expected him to play 3C you’d maybe have a point

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He just seems too small to me. The league is going big centers (probably always has been) and considering what we have at center (without Bergeron) this seems like a desperate gamble but sure, whatever, he's probably just a Providence guy anyway.
Maybe u should look up what “gamble” means.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Lack of speed was more than evident in the playoffs...Richard has a great opportunity in Boston. Curious to know where he would rank "speed-wise" Boston/Providence. Equal/Greater/Less vs. Lysell/Lauko?

--------

The Bruins, says Anthony Richard, made him an offer he “couldn’t refuse.” If he plays in the NHL, he will certainly earn the minimum wage in force according to the collective agreement – $775,000. However, if he is sold to the Bruins of Providence, he will pocket $ 450,000, an increase of 50% compared to his salary in Laval in 2022-2023.

However, the conversations he had with the organization encouraged him. General manager Don Sweeney presented him with the argument of a staff limited by his limited budget. With just $5 million wiggle room, the manager has yet to come to terms with goaltender Jeremy Swayman. Skaters at low prices will therefore be welcome.

Head coach Jim Montgomery instead emphasized that he was looking for speed on offense. It is certainly not the return of Milan Lucic that will get him!

Good news: this is Anthony Richard’s greatest asset. Now, can he prove, for the first time in his career, that he deserves a spot on an NHL team this October? The answer is his alone.

Montgomery also strongly suggested that he arrive in Boston about ten days before training camp to familiarize himself with the group of players and with the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
More on one of my Binkys ...

Richard had 6 more goals over Merkulov playing 6 less games. He was 7th in the AHL goals scored. 7 behind the leader who played 9 more games. The dude is a late bloomer. Love a good story. Hope he makes the team out of camp.

J-F changed me to be more responsible defensively and bring more physicality in my game, and that often puts me in a better position on the ice. I don't have to think, I can play free, and when I play without having to think, I play my best games. J-F really helped me play with a clear mind and be more creative offensively without costing my team goals," explained Richard. "He's a demanding coach when it comes to the small details and he really helps me get the most out of my game. He's a big part of my success this season."
For his part, Houle knows exactly what he has in Richard.
He's pleased to see that the QMJHL grad has taken full advantage of his opportunities with Laval.
"Anthony is the most dangerous player on our team. That's no secret. He's one of the best players in the league. He has a lot of speed, he's tough to defend against, and we're happy to have him on our side," said Houle. "We've put him in good situations and he capitalized on them. He reads the play really well both on the power play and penalty kill and he makes the most of his ice time to really stand out."

Last edited:

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
More on one of my Binkys ...

Richard had 6 more goals over Merkulov playing 6 less games. He was 7th in the AHL goals scored. 7 behind the leader who played 9 more games. The dude is a late bloomer. Love a good story. Hope he makes the team out of camp.

J-F changed me to be more responsible defensively and bring more physicality in my game, and that often puts me in a better position on the ice. I don't have to think, I can play free, and when I play without having to think, I play my best games. J-F really helped me play with a clear mind and be more creative offensively without costing my team goals," explained Richard. "He's a demanding coach when it comes to the small details and he really helps me get the most out of my game. He's a big part of my success this season."
For his part, Houle knows exactly what he has in Richard.
He's pleased to see that the QMJHL grad has taken full advantage of his opportunities with Laval.
"Anthony is the most dangerous player on our team. That's no secret. He's one of the best players in the league. He has a lot of speed, he's tough to defend against, and we're happy to have him on our side," said Houle. "We've put him in good situations and he capitalized on them. He reads the play really well both on the power play and penalty kill and he makes the most of his ice time to really stand out."

Although he was 2 years younger his rookie season is no where close to Merkulov’s. At the same age with already 141 pro games under his belt AR was 66th in points in the AHL. Merkulov had only 9 games before this year and was the 2nd highest rookie scorer and 34th league wide.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Although he was 2 years younger his rookie season is no where close to Merkulov’s. At the same age with already 141 pro games under his belt AR was 66th in points in the AHL. Merkulov had only 9 games before this year and was the 2nd highest rookie scorer and 34th league wide.
Like I said...Richard might be a late bloomer. His stats were impressive last year. No denying that right? I haven't watched either player but you can't close a blind eye to Richard because he's slightly older.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Like I said...Richard might be a late bloomer. His stats were impressive last year. No denying that right? I haven't watched either player but you can't close a blind eye to Richard because he's slightly older.

Those who have watched both players put Merkulov well above Richard. Well above.

Reactions: DominicT

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't believe @Blowfish was claiming that Richard was a more valuable asset than Merkulov. He was providing some stats for context. And posted an article that helped outline why he's excited about Richard.

He's not beating Merkulov down. He's not saying he sucks. In fact, his post had almost nothing to do about Merkulov at all.

I don't understand why everything has to be turned into a fight. Why is it hard to accept that Blowfish is excited about an under-the-radar addition who has an outside chance of making a team who could really use someone of his skillset?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

I’m rooting for both of these guys, I just thought it was weird to compare him to Merkulov. The list of guys not good enough for the NHL that end up becoming very good ahlers is pretty long. The list of guys who are top players off the bat is much shorter. If Richard becomes the next Colin Blackwell that would be awesome. I just have higher expectations for Merkulov.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't believe @Blowfish was claiming that Richard was a more valuable asset than Merkulov. He was providing some stats for context. And posted an article that helped outline why he's excited about Richard.

He's not beating Merkulov down. He's not saying he sucks. In fact, his post had almost nothing to do about Merkulov at all.

I don't understand why everything has to be turned into a fight. Why is it hard to accept that Blowfish is excited about an under-the-radar addition who has an outside chance of making a team who could really use someone of his skillset?
Thinking it's a good thing I can't read some of the posts. Must be my "ignored" fans. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

I wasn’t trying to start a fight. Sorry if it came off that way.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’m rooting for both of these guys, I just thought it was weird to compare him to Merkulov. The list of guys not good enough for the NHL that end up becoming very good ahlers is pretty long. The list of guys who are top players off the bat is much shorter. If Richard becomes the next Colin Blackwell that would be awesome. I just have higher expectations for Merkulov.
Merk is one of my other binkys ... I have a few this year. I was simply showing a comparison in numbers to help provide some context to Richard's capability. He could surprise and for bruin fans ... that's a good thing. Especially since he left the habitants to join the bruins. A team he despised growing up a habitants fan.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sure, but why do I have to respect him?

I still want to know why? He doesn't look like he's worth having.
When a team is a contender for like 20 years they have trouble drafting high end talent so they sign guys with potential. You’re aciting like this affects you. Do you personally pay him?

He turned a corner last year offensively. He is fast. He plays centre. Zero risk signing.

Reactions: Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It’s a zero risk signing. He plays centre. About to his his prime and he may be too good for the ahl. It’s a two way contract. He might be a providence bruin all year. If he is too good he can be called up on the cheap. This is a good signing
Maybe I’m crazy but Boquist and Richard both excite me. Geekie too but he excites everyone. I really like the collection of options that were added both at forward and on defense.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Merk is one of my other binkys ... I have a few this year. I was simply showing a comparison in numbers to help provide some context to Richard's capability. He could surprise and for bruin fans ... that's a good thing. Especially since he left the habitants to join the bruins. A team he despised growing up a habitants fan.
Can you fill me in on these other binky's so I know to stay away from them in my fantasy draft? Thanks.

Mine are Wotherspoon, Brown and Lucic. Dark horse is Toporowski, just wish he played more like his dad.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Whats everyone think so far of Richard? Pretty nice goal against the Kings courteous of Dubois's defensive coverage

Good speed and finishes some checks. I like him more than Boqvist, Steen and what I saw from Merkulov but don't think he's a better option than what we saw from Beecher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad