Player Discussion Anthony Richard

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins have signed forward Anthony Richard to a one-year, two-way contract with an NHL cap hit of $775,000.

Richard, 26, most recently appeared in 13 games with the Montreal Canadiens during the 2022-23 season, tallying three goals and two assists for five points with a plus-two rating. The 5-foot-11, 183-pound forward has played in 15 career NHL games with Montreal and Nashville, totaling three goals and two assists for five points.

The Trois-Rivieres, Quebec native was originally selected by Nashville in the fourth round (100th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Speed....nice

“In my mind I was 25 (when the season started) and I lost a year with COVID. In my mind I was still young. I still have some good hockey left. I feel confident for the next couple of years. Obviously this is the best I’ve played. I’ve always been a strong offensive guy, but this year obviously is the best I’ve played overall.”

Houle said Richard was Syracuse’s best player in the playoffs, adding he urged management to sign him. Houle likes Richard’s speed, his ability to anticipate plays and how tough he is to defend. This season he has worked with Richard to improve his defensive game while becoming more physical

“He’s one of the guys we pinpointed,” Houle said. “It worked out in our favour this year to have him on our team.”

Most teams want to focus on younger players, and rightfully so, but in Richard’s case, the Canadiens may want to give him an extended look to evaluate whether he’s a late bloomer, or simply a player that likes to beat up on AHL-level competition.

It’s just two games, but even with the small sample size factored in, Richard’s play with the Canadiens seems to indicate he may very well be a prospect who was lost in the shuffle.

A closer look at his underlying numbers reveals an interesting phenomenon. When Richard is on the ice, they don’t necessarily control more shots, overall.

They do, however, control more high-danger shots.

And as it stands, Richard leads all Canadiens players with a 59.8 percent xGF%, connoting his style of play, which is powered by high-end speed and an affinity for scoring off the rush, is making a positive influence on a team that genuinely struggles to create high-quality chances.

Last edited:

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He looks like a camp arm who will get a chance to impress. Never saw this signing when it happened.

Small chance (SMALL) that he's a late bloomer and forces the issue. Taking a look at his minors salary ($450k)... It's no joke. That's a big raise. I think the Bruins see something in him and really wanted to get him here.

I like additions like this. Between him, Geekie, Boqvist, Topo, our defencemen from the Blackhawks and our own homegrown guys, I'm looking forward to training camp this year.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Speed....nice

“In my mind I was 25 (when the season started) and I lost a year with COVID. In my mind I was still young. I still have some good hockey left. I feel confident for the next couple of years. Obviously this is the best I’ve played. I’ve always been a strong offensive guy, but this year obviously is the best I’ve played overall.”

Houle said Richard was Syracuse’s best player in the playoffs, adding he urged management to sign him. Houle likes Richard’s speed, his ability to anticipate plays and how tough he is to defend. This season he has worked with Richard to improve his defensive game while becoming more physical

“He’s one of the guys we pinpointed,” Houle said. “It worked out in our favour this year to have him on our team.”

Most teams want to focus on younger players, and rightfully so, but in Richard’s case, the Canadiens may want to give him an extended look to evaluate whether he’s a late bloomer, or simply a player that likes to beat up on AHL-level competition.

It’s just two games, but even with the small sample size factored in, Richard’s play with the Canadiens seems to indicate he may very well be a prospect who was lost in the shuffle.

A closer look at his underlying numbers reveals an interesting phenomenon. When Richard is on the ice, they don’t necessarily control more shots, overall.

They do, however, control more high-danger shots.

And as it stands, Richard leads all Canadiens players with a 59.8 percent xGF%, connoting his style of play, which is powered by high-end speed and an affinity for scoring off the rush, is making a positive influence on a team that genuinely struggles to create high-quality chances.

Highly unlikely he makes the team, but his and Lauko's speed on the same line would be very tough to contain.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad