Prospect Info: Anthony Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Detroit's development strategy has spawned notable improvements of many recently drafted players, therefore I am sure that the organisation knows how to deal with Mantha.
I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I'm just curious. What players are you thinking of that have improved their attitude/work ethic after coming to the Detroit organization?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You think so? Personally, I was having trouble deciding if that was confidence or just arrogance. It might be that he just really thinks he's that good already...

Well I thought that as well but when I looked at Redwingscentral they had this this tidbit about Mantha "Takes criticism well and is eager to learn and improve". So either they get it wrong or the attitude/Work ethic problems weren't right. I think that he really believes in his abilities and as a goal scorer that's the right mentality to have, it may come off as cocky or arrogance but it's the same way Tatar is.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
What will he weigh when he fills out that frame... is he more of a 205-220 more lean guy á Jeff carter or a 230'ish franzen frame?

My guess would be lean; he's really tall and thin. For him to end up being a wider body would take a lot of weight gain/muscle mass.

He's like Charlie Conway all growed up build wise :) #DucksFlyTogether

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The skill set cultivated by his family is high-end on the offensive side of the game; Mantha said his greatest strengths are his ability to find the back of the net and his play with the man-advantage.

The main thing Mantha said he needs to improve on his how hard he competes on a nightly basis.

“It’s really to bring my compete level to every game,” Mantha said. “That’s what I’ve been working on the last year. I think that next year is going to be top-notch, I need to be able to bring it there, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be ready next year.”

Mantha said he tries to pattern his game off of Carolina Hurricanes captain Eric Staal.

“He’s a tall and big guy, good offensively or defensively,” Mantha said.

http://mihockeynow.com/2013/07/anth...-no-20/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I'm not disagreeing with you here, but I'm just curious. What players are you thinking of that have improved their attitude/work ethic after coming to the Detroit organization?
Actually, I did not specify the improvement solely with regard to attitude/work ethic. Without any insight, that would have been nothing more than a wild guess.

However, Jurco was said to be an inconsistent floater. Since he was drafted, he added a strong junior season and his first AHL year, where he adjusted late, but remarkably.

After some unusual celebration, Mrazek's attitude had been questioned; meanwhile, he went from AHL backup to one of the league's most praised goalies within his first pro year. Frk and Pulkinnen were also deemed by some to be pure offensive players with too many flaws for further tasks, but proved their willingness to work on their shortcomings. Athanasiou became constantly better this season and may have shed his previous "puck-hog" label with his strong playoff performance.

Therefore I am positive that each of the above-mentioned players would be drafted earlier now than they actually did. Add to this prospects like Järnkrok, Ouellet and Sproul, who also made huge steps forward after they have been drafted (yet were never said to have any detrimental attitude issues). Sheahan did not show this much progress, but he responded to the alcohol incident with a solid AHL season.

While all these players certainly are different than Mantha, I take their development as an indicater that the Red Wings staff is able to deal with different characters and different backgrounds. The only counter-example which was cited here, namely Axelsson, is not fully comparable to Mantha, because the latter will not be considered a star player in his home country and able to earn a nice salary, unless he progresses within the Red Wings system.

Gruß,
BSHH

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
If they coach him to be more physical and gritty on the 2-way, he can be a great hockey player and still be an offensive weapon. He NEEDS to get a little stronger and a more physical before he will play in Detroit. We already have a less-than-physical 1-way goal scorer (Brunner). Mantha will need to be more 2-way and physical before he will play in Detroit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hockeywriters report on him

Mantha has one of the shots in the QMJHL, with a lightning fast release that has helped him score at a .82 goals per game clip this season, and he sits 8th in league scoring. Mantha can also see the ice very well, setting up teammates on the rush and stationary on the powerplay. The concern with Mantha is his compete level, and the consistency with which he uses it. Mantha was fired up and agitated with fellow 2013 draft-eligible Nathan Mackinnon in Halifax and started hitting and dominating on the boards against Halifax. According other online viewings and scouting reports, that is exception and not the norm for Mantha. He even said himself in his interview with TSR that it is something that needs to be improved. That is the scary thing with Mantha, because if he used all his tools on a consistent basis he would be with names like Monohan and Drouin in the top 5 conversation.”

- Given his size and offensive skill, Anthony Mantha can be most compared to someone like Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek.

- Hall of Fame comparison: Pat Lafontaine

But his coach in Val-d'Or, Mario Durocher, said it is a side of Mantha that fans and even most scouts don't get to see that has him most impressed.

Anthony Mantha's high-end skill and skating ability has helped him burst onto the scene as a premier scorer for Val-d'Or in the QMJHL. (Photo: QMJHL Archives)
"He's a very intelligent kid. It's great talking hockey with him," Durocher told NHL.com. "He's always asking the right questions in practice and even pointing things out that we might have missed sometimes."

"He has offensive talent, that's undeniable," Durocher said. "But we're trying to get him to use his body more, to protect the puck a little better and to limit his turnovers. It reminds me a bit of Sean Couturier, who was a purely offensive player when he entered the league but he learned to play a sound defensive game by the time he left. Mantha has to do the same thing.

"But as far as his offensive game, he has it all. He can change a game by himself."

http://thehockeywriters.com/sharks-2013-draft-finding-a-great-white-scorer/

The problem with Anthony Mantha is that he will remind Sharks fans of a much larger version of Patrick Marleau and his streaks. Mantha is subject to droughts in scoring. He also has not quite mastered the ability to use his massive 6’4” frame to his advantage. However, with these issues in mind, Mantha is going to be, without a doubt, a first rounder. He is deadly with the puck on his stick and in the offensive zone in general. He is not afraid to get physical and plays a tough game. Mantha is capable of scoring over thirty goals a season and because of his inconsistency, he could drop all the way to twentieth where the Sharks could steal a golden pick.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl-draft-prospects-qmjhl/

Karen Mielands at InLowWeTrust.com, “Mantha has a gritty style to his game, and he isn’t afraid to head to the dirty areas around the net. With that style, he led the QMJHL in goals and was tenth overall in points. He doesn’t just depend on his size, though. Mantha has an impressive wrist shot and quick release. He is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, and seems to be headed towards the power forward role. It was difficult to see where his game was going just one year ago.”

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-potential-draft-targets/

A giant at only 17 years of age, Mantha was the only player in this year’s draft class to score 50 goals this season. He skates well for his size, is good on the power play, has a great hockey IQ, and shows up big in shootouts. The only thing he lacks is consistency. Scouts complained that he was almost invisible some nights – which is hard to do when you’re 6’4″ 201 lbs. Had he been less inconsistent he may have been a top 5 draft pick this year. But regardless, he possesses all the skills and abilities to be a major offensive threat in the NHL one day, and could be a steal for the Red Wings at #18.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I have really warmed up to this pick. I seem to remember reading similar things about guys like Saad and many others. I think because these guys are so big, they look like they're not giving maximum effort but as long as he's willing to learn to play a two way game, I am excited about the possibilities. I think the Wings, thus far seem to have done well recently with Q draft picks (Ouellette, Frk) that it makes sense to keep priming that pump.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
This, right here, is why this is a great pick. He understands his weaknesses and seems determined to improve that area. Jurco had similar knocks on his game, but Blashill is on record saying he is one of the hardest working kids on the team. Really exciting upside to this kid.

Personally I liked: "That is the scary thing with Mantha, because if he used all his tools on a consistent basis he would be with names like Monohan and Drouin in the top 5 conversation.â€

I can also live with the Pat Lafontaine comparison but I won't hold my breath :)

Seems like a pretty good deal at 20th overall to me.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Actually, I did not specify the improvement solely with regard to attitude/work ethic. Without any insight, that would have been nothing more than a wild guess.

However, Jurco was said to be an inconsistent floater. Since he was drafted, he added a strong junior season and his first AHL year, where he adjusted late, but remarkably.

After some unusual celebration, Mrazek's attitude had been questioned; meanwhile, he went from AHL backup to one of the league's most praised goalies within his first pro year. Frk and Pulkinnen were also deemed by some to be pure offensive players with too many flaws for further tasks, but proved their willingness to work on their shortcomings. Athanasiou became constantly better this season and may have shed his previous "puck-hog" label with his strong playoff performance.

Therefore I am positive that each of the above-mentioned players would be drafted earlier now than they actually did. Add to this prospects like Järnkrok, Ouellet and Sproul, who also made huge steps forward after they have been drafted (yet were never said to have any detrimental attitude issues). Sheahan did not show this much progress, but he responded to the alcohol incident with a solid AHL season.

While all these players certainly are different than Mantha, I take their development as an indicater that the Red Wings staff is able to deal with different characters and different backgrounds. The only counter-example which was cited here, namely Axelsson, is not fully comparable to Mantha, because the latter will not be considered a star player in his home country and able to earn a nice salary, unless he progresses within the Red Wings system.

Gruß,
BSHH
Thanks for the detailed response.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
And I don't really know why (maybe because of montreal and their historic players), but it feels good to finally have a highly skilled quebecois prospect....

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Mantha seems like a guy similar to Ouellet who will also really boost team toughness because they will be on the ice a lot and not scared to fight if they have to. Adding guys like this is the new way to have a tough team really and reduces the need for goons. Mantha had 5 fights this year total which isnt bad for a 50 goal scorer, it also makes me think there might be more edge to come with his game as he gets older and fills out his lanky frame a bit

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The criticism reminds me a bit of the criticism of Athanasiou last draft. Some said Detroit got the steal of the draft in AA. And he didn't disappoint this past season. Hopefully Mantha will do the same and have a strong season for his final year in the Q.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Well at least he's a -94 birthday so he can play in the AHL in 14-15 if he continues scoring like this next year. -95's drafted out of Major Junior can't play until 15-16.

I fully expect him to develop in those weaker parts of his game and he's talked about the will to do it in all the interviews. I'm stocked to have a 50 goal scorer in our prospect pool, but do you guys have any idea how big of a role Anton Zlobin had in Mantha's goal total?
newfy is right that mantha scored at a similar pace (19g, 40p in last 25 games) in 1/2 half of last season, when zlobin was playing for shawinigan.

their +/- also points to not being consistent linemates.

dunn (C): +21
mantha (RW): +21
sergeyev (D): +20
poudrier (C): +17
c henley (C/LW): +15
gelinas (D): +15
s henley (RW): +14
rioux-legault (D): +13
beaudry (C): +9
zlobin (LW): +9

i have also read that zlobin and mantha played separately often.

judging from game reports, mantha usually played with zlobin at ES and PP early in the season. later in the season, he played with zlobin on PP, but usually not at ES.

mantha was also used on PK, often with captain cedrick henley at C.

vanek and lafontaine seem like strange comparisons since they are so different. vanek is a big goalscoring W who plays around the net, whereas lafontaine was a smallish, fast, exciting C.

most common comparisons to active players are players like jeff carter, james neal (minus physicality and dirty play), ryder, franzen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Profile on lastwordonsports

“I’ve gained about 20 pounds since the beginning of last year and my confidence has gone straight up,” he said.
That confidence was carried over into the start of the 2012-13 season, scoring 14 goals in his first 14 games. That offensive output impressed linemate Cedrick Henley.
“Playing with him it makes my life easier,” said Henley, a draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres. “I just give him the puck and he scores. He has a lot of speed and he’s big. It’s pretty rare to see a guy that big and fast.”
Still, there’s more to the game of hockey than just scoring goals. According to coach Mario Durocher, Mantha has the opportunity to elevate his game further.
“He needs to compete hard for the puck every shift, take short shifts and things like that,” Durocher said. “Those are things he will learn but he has to be a little more consistent. He knows what he has to do but sometimes things come a little too easy in junior.”
- See more at: http://futureconsiderations.ca/mature-mantha-shooting-up-rankings/#sthash.25zKaIgL.dpuf

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
They can work on his commitment and compete level issues. He has the skill and physical assets and that's what is important to me.

Which worked well for Grigorenko, haha.

I still like this pick though. I love pure-offensive type of guys.
I hope this kid pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad