Prospect Info: Anthony Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Let the conversation begin!

“I saw him a couple of times where he was dominant,” said Red Wings scout Jeff Finley. “He takes the puck wide and can beat defensemen, take it to the net … he has a knack for finding open ice and he has a good shot and release. I wouldn’t label him as just a scorer, either. He’s creative and he can see the ice and make plays. He’s a gifted all-around offensive player.”

“I like the size, the skating — he’s got lots of speed and mobility for a big guy — he can shoot on the fly and his hockey sense is good,” said Red Wings scout Mario Marois. “He can play any style he wants offensively. He is very good down low, too. He has a good shot, he protects the puck well.”

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/07/01/4043/polarizing-mantha-can-do-it-all-offensively/

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looks like he needs to put on about 40 pounds. Scrawny, tall NHL players seem to bust all the time.

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Great pick. Mantha is a big goal scorer, that is a rare combination and the Wings are in no hurry to put him on the roster so he has time to sort his issues out.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Truthfully, I wanted DET to trade back again (was looking at MTL's 25th + 55th). I didnt have anyone singled out specifically to draft but from everything ive read and heard, Mantha is a 1 trick pony

If that trick is scoring a ******** of goals then I am fine with it.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Truthfully, I wanted DET to trade back again (was looking at MTL's 25th + 55th). I didnt have anyone singled out specifically to draft but from everything ive read and heard, Mantha is a 1 trick pony

Thats funny. Thats exactly what one of the commentators said on NBC Sports after the pick...

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
He was my number 1 guy and was hoping he'd still be there after we traded down too. Very glad we got him. He's 18, he'll mature and be something special.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
They can work on his commitment and compete level issues. He has the skill and physical assets and that's what is important to me.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm pretty happy with this pick, I really wanted them to swing for the fences and Mantha fits the bill nicely. 2-way game and compete level can be taught and gained with maturation his frame and his shot cannot be taught.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
A good thing with the pick is that he only has one more year of junior eligibility left. He's one of the oldest guys(the oldest?) in the draft. He's big and he can skate so it's good the get him into pro hockey sooner rather than later and learn him the physical/defensive aspects he probably won't learn in the Q.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
They can work on his commitment and compete level issues. He has the skill and physical assets and that's what is important to me.

Sure, some of his shortcomings can be taught. If he wants to play for DET, he'll improve defensively. Its the confidence/composure that im worried about

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I'm very happy with this pick, not only does he have the size, drive and hands, but he stands to develop into a clutch powerforward/scorer for the Wings.

Get that kid some metrx bars and get him into the weight room, then condition him to be as aggressive a power forward as he can be. Big kid with a big future, if everything works out well.

That's a 'plus' for Kenny and the Wings front office.:handclap: I hope to be eating crow about Kenny by the end of the draft!

RedWingsNow*

It bugs me that the TSN tools have been slobbering all over every pick...
As soon as the Wings select Mantha, Bob McKenzie takes a dump all over a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad