Prospect Info: Anthony Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
the list itself is actually pretty impressive too:

guys that were drafted that put up 50 goals in the CHL the first year they were draft eligible since 2001-2002(there may have been one or two that put up 50 the first year they were eligible and then weren't drafted although that sounds unlikely it isn't something I checked):

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul

That's one heckuva group to be a part of... No wonder Mantha thinks he has a shot to make the Wings out of camp....

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
That's one heckuva group to be a part of... No wonder Mantha thinks he has a shot to make the Wings out of camp....

I like Mantha, I wasn't huge on him during draft prep but I like his scoring touch. He scored 50 points in his rookie season and I imagine if they give him another year in the Q he should be able to put up 100+ unless he plays in the junior worlds.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was really impressed about Mantha's reach. His arms were like 2 metres long. :laugh: Add a long stick in those hands. :amazed: When he learns to protect the puck with that reach and use body to protect the puck, it will be impossible to make any kind of retrieval against him. Chara will be off the league, when Mantha hits in. ;)

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002

guys that were drafted that put up 50 goals in the CHL the first year they were draft eligible since 2001-2002(there may have been one or two that put up 50 the first year they were eligible and then weren't drafted although that sounds unlikely it isn't something I checked):

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul

interesting! what source are you using?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I hope we have the next Cory Perry on our hands. Didn't Perry have a lot of the same criticisms in his draft year?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I remember Getzlaf having somewhat similar issues, but apparently the one that really contributed to his draft stock were the "maturity issues." Namely that his teammates in Calgary disliked him because he was a huge jerk.

Nobody can agitate folks like Tyler Bertuzzi. :sarcasm:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I remember Getzlaf having somewhat similar issues, but apparently the one that really contributed to his draft stock were the "maturity issues." Namely that his teammates in Calgary disliked him because he was a huge jerk.

And he still has maturity issues :laugh:

perry-getzlaf.gif

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So... to sum up Franzen's Red Wing career

Early Career 36 goals 229 games - 12.9 goals per 82 games
Beastmode til April 11 Contract -- 62 goals in 101 games, 50.3 goals per 82 games
Franzen Floater mode - 106 goals in 285 games - 30.4 goals per 82 games

Those numbers are pretty skewed.

If you're going to break down a guys career in 3 parts you should probably break them down evenly, rather than choosing the cut off point for greatest effect.

If you break his #'s down into even 205 game segments they look like this.

Early Career (First 205 games) 12.8 Goals per 82 games
Middle 205 games 36.4 Goals per 82 games
Last 205 games 28.4 goals per 82 games.

His numbers have fallen a bit from his middle 205 games but not drastically and not past an acceptable level. If they continue to fall this next season it might be time to think about buying him out, but I still don't think the guy deserves all the criticism he gets around here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I hope he's less of a ****** than Corey Perry.

What comes to Corey Perry, he has scored 220 goals in 574 career games. 31.4 goals per 82 games.

Would you pay rather 8.6 million for a 31.4 goal scorer (like Corey Perry)

or

3.9 million for a 27.2 goal scorer (like Johan Franzen) ?

Franzen scores 87% of Corey Perry's scoring and earns over 54% less.

Perspective does nice things.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005

Anthony Mantha
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares
Steven Stamkos
Patrick Kane
Sidney Crosby
Joffrey Lupul
CHLers who have scored 50g at or before age 18 since 2000:

tavares
patrick kane
stamkos
jeff skinner
christian thomas
alexandre picard-hooper
crosby
roussin ---- (crosby's linemate)
parenteau
yanick lehoux
vermette
ty rattie
eric fehr
lupul
brendl

several more were on pace for 50, but missed games.

Franzen signed on April 11, 2009.

At the end of 2008, Franzen scored 15 goals in 16 games.
Then in the 08 playoffs, Franzen scored 13 goals in 16 games
Then in 2009, until April 10, he scored 34 goals in 69 games.

During this stretch, Franzen scored 62 goals in 101 games
That's a 50 goal pace.

Now, if you want to know some Wings fans thought it was OK to sign mule instead of Hossa -- Before Hossa ever played a playoff game in Detroit -- that's why.

Some Detroit fans thought they'd just found a giant powerforward who could scored at a 40 to 50 goal pace.

Was some of Franzen's streak just luck? Sure.
But Franzen hasn't approached the eyepopping goal scoring ability he showed.

People will point to his caphit, and say, but a 28 goal guy is fine for $4m ayear.
But this wasn't a 5 year contract. This was a lifetime contract.

We were securing him for life based on 100 games or so.

I think questioning Franzen's effort is fair. We questioned Flip's effort quite a bit, and that was deserved, too.

Questions about Franzen's effort and commitment are legit, IMO.

He scored at a 50 goal pace for 101 games.
285 106
Since then he has 106 goals in 285 games -- which is a 30.4 goal pace

50.4 to 30.4

That's a huge fall.

So... to sum up Franzen's Red Wing career

Early Career 36 goals 229 games - 12.9 goals per 82 games
Beastmode til April 11 Contract -- 62 goals in 101 games, 50.3 goals per 82 games
Franzen Floater mode - 106 goals in 285 games - 30.4 goals per 82 games
franzen was also probably more physical then, and had more highlight plays.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
CHLers who have scored 50g at or before age 18 since 2000:

tavares
patrick kane
stamkos
jeff skinner

christian thomas

hit 50 the year after he was drafted not in his draft year

alexandre picard-hooper
never drafted

roussin ---- (crosby's linemate)

parenteau

yanick lehoux

ty rattie

eric fehr

sure,was a few years before the time period I was using though

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And though 15.2% is on the high side, it's not as outlandish as I was expecting, and is actually a slight regression from the 16.1% shooting percentage he had in 2011-12 when he scored just twenty-four goals. No, Mantha's big bump is mostly the result of an increase in shots. In 2011-12, Mantha had just 2.22 shots per game, but in 2012-13 he was able to push that number all the way up to 4.76 shots per game, more than doubling his previous output. In fact, Mantha's shot rate is better than either of the two top prospects in the draft, Nathan MacKinnon (4.62) and Jonathan Drouin (3.52). So even if Mantha was a little bit lucky, it really is just a little, and his shot rate alone is reason for optimism.

His 0.72 adjusted goals per game is actually 21st among all forwards drafted out of the CHL over the last thirty years, and the guys above him are mostly pretty good company:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/6/17/4431098/anthony-mantha-comparables

Some graphs there too.

I know this is just stats scouting but personally I'm a lot more high on Mantha than I was before the draft or when he was drafted.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I would have personally liked to see the Wings take Mike McCarron with their first rounder, but Mantha does have an intriguing skill package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad