Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So it's bye week and we don't play again until the Cup Finals if I read the schedule correctly, so I've been thinking about him.

I kind of hear a lot about how he's a 3C, complete or whatever. And I have to disagree with that. Cirelli has two defining characteristics - through-the-roof IQ and a motor that doesn't stop. He's bust through any ceiling anyone has ever put on him his entire career. Right now his offensive skills are a bit limited, but that's the type of thing that can change over time.

A player like that - that's all motor and IQ at 21 years old - there's no ceiling on a player like that. If he ends up staying as a 3C, that's fine. But he's also a prime candidate to continue developing into something way more than expected. Hell - he already is. He played on a deep Cup contender at 20 years old as a third round pick.

I'm still not really seeing it. I agree with the through-the-roof IQ and the motor, but I don't see any single physical skill that sets him apart. Seems great on breakaways. But he's an above average skater, average-ish shooter, vision, etc. I think he could be a top-end 3C, but I don't see him breaking into a top-six role outside of an emergency. He's sort of Yanni Gourde, but not quite as good at any single thing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The thing is... you dont need to have top flight physical skills, but those can also develop. He can improve his shot and passing. Maybe he ends up being our Kris Draper. Maybe our Patrice Bergeron. Just dont be surprised either way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The thing is... you dont need to have top flight physical skills, but those can also develop. He can improve his shot and passing. Maybe he ends up being our Kris Draper. Maybe our Patrice Bergeron. Just dont be surprised either way.

Draper's the guy who comes to mind for me, but even with him, he had unreal speed for his day. Arguably faster than Fedorov. But Draper might have been a 2C on another team. I'll be happy if Cirelli turns into that type of player. Ecstatic if he winds up better. But I think he's kind of the opposite of the "All the tools/no toolbox" player. He gets by on his wonderful toolbox, while the tools themselves are mostly average, or a little above.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Draper's the guy who comes to mind for me, but even with him, he had unreal speed for his day. Arguably faster than Fedorov. But Draper might have been a 2C on another team. I'll be happy if Cirelli turns into that type of player. Ecstatic if he winds up better. But I think he's kind of the opposite of the "All the tools/no toolbox" player. He gets by on his wonderful toolbox, while the tools themselves are mostly average, or a little above.
I agree with your assessment of Cirelli. All signs point to him being a high end 3C. I love the kid’s motor, speed and IQ. So if all else remains constant, we should be estatic with the result. Neither his shot nor his stickhandling skills make him a prime candidate for a top 6 role. The kid, however, continues to surprise. It therefore is too early to call.

I also agree with your Draper comparison. But in no world was it arguable - ever - that Draper was as fast as Federov. Federov had a claim to fastest player in the league at times. Draper simply wasn’t in the conversation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with your assessment of Cirelli. All signs point to him being a high end 3C. I love the kid’s motor, speed and IQ. So if all else remains constant, we should be estatic with the result. Neither his shot nor his stickhandling skills make him a prime candidate for a top 6 role. The kid, however, continues to surprise. It therefore is too early to call.

I also agree with your Draper comparison. But in no world was it arguable - ever - that Draper was as fast as Federov. Federov had a claim to fastest player in the league at times. Draper simply wasn’t in the conversation.

Kris Draper won in-house fastest skater competitions, in which Fedorov also competed. Draper was insanely fast. But it's somewhat forgotten because of his role. Still, I say "arguably" faster because Fedorov was insanely fast too.

One thing about Cirelli though is, going back to his days in junior, he's always been a big game player. So while I don't know if he's ever going to score, say, 50 points, I do think he's going to have some big playoff moments. He always seemed to shine more and more as the pressure went up.

I wonder what kind of player he'll be when he fills out. I mean, maybe he's another Vlad-type and never will, but he looks like a guy who's not fully matured physically.

Reactions: JDBolt

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Kris Draper won in-house fastest skater competitions, in which Fedorov also competed. Draper was insanely fast. But it's somewhat forgotten because of his role. Still, I say "arguably" faster because Fedorov was insanely fast too.

One thing about Cirelli though is, going back to his days in junior, he's always been a big game player. So while I don't know if he's ever going to score, say, 50 points, I do think he's going to have some big playoff moments. He always seemed to shine more and more as the pressure went up.

I wonder what kind of player he'll be when he fills out. I mean, maybe he's another Vlad-type and never will, but he looks like a guy who's not fully matured physically.
I watched Detroit closely in the 1990s and never heard about these “in house” races. I’ll still take your word for it - no dispute that Draper was very fast. Anyways, I think that Cirelli is tailored made for the playoffs, when there is a premium on speed and a high-motor with less time and space out there. The game becomes more north and south, chip it deep and go get the puck. This is why Cirelli had a couple big moments last playoffs. And I expect him to pot a couple timely goals again. My hope is that Joseph is able to do the same and this partly fixes the dry spells that often doom our campaigns.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I watched Detroit closely in the 1990s and never heard about these “in house” races. I’ll still take your word for it - no dispute that Draper was very fast. Anyways, I think that Cirelli is tailored made for the playoffs, when there is a premium on speed and a high-motor with less time and space out there. The game becomes more north and south, chip it deep and go get the puck. This is why Cirelli had a couple big moments last playoffs. And I expect him to pot a couple timely goals again. My hope is that Joseph is able to do the same and this partly fixes the dry spells that often doom our campaigns.

Teams used to hold their own skills competitions for fans. Not sure if they still do, but they were mentioned occasionally in Wings' broadcasts over the years. It actually surprised me the first time I heard Draper won their fastest skater competition. At the time I figured Fedorov, or maybe even Matthieu Dandenault would win. But yeah, they were a real thing, but lost to history, and maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I think I am. Skating in straight lines without the puck was kind of Draper's thing though. Fedorov was fast as hell, but more of a "beautiful" skater in a way.

Anyway. My fear with Joseph in the playoffs is he won't stand up to the intensity, kind of like what we saw with Gourde a little bit last year. He's still very thin for his frame. I think, in time, it won't be an issue. Most players get bigger and sturdier, and I think that'll happen for both Cirelli and Joseph. If there's one specific skill that I think Cirelli could realistically improve, it's the physical aspect of his game. He's a little slight at the moment, but he's like 6'1, and just judging by his baby face makes you (well, me) believe he's got some growing left to do. And his "do anything for the win" attitude makes me think he would embrace a Ryan Kesler-like role.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Cirelli has 8 points in the last 10 games. He definitely has some offensive upside still. While his offensive tools aren’t anything crazy his hockey IQ should help him get more and more points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cirelli has 8 points in the last 10 games. He definitely has some offensive upside still. While his offensive tools aren’t anything crazy his hockey IQ should help him get more and more points.

He had 11 points in 18 games to start last season, that's 50 point pace - this isn't new to him. You're right though aside from his skating his other skills aren't anything to brag about but he's got great IQ which is helped by playing on a skilled team that can finish.

Hopefully he hits 40 this year. Not sure how much higher he can go cause I think he's already in the perfect position for a player like him to thrive in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he would be an asset on the PP, and that would probably be worth 10-15 points or more. We tried him out there briefly earlier in the year. I think a prolonged stay would prove he's better behind the net than any of our other options. I feel like he's closer to what Palat used to be than Palat currently is.

Reactions: Rschmitz

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
This kids going to have a monster playoffs, calling it now.
Agreed. I think our playoffs depend on it. Guys like Cirelli, Paquette and Joseph stepping up is going to be huge. Paquette is playing the best hockey I've seen him play. Cirelli is so sneaky dangerous offensively while being solid defensively. I wish it was Wednesday.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So what do you guys think Rocco Celery is going to ask for next year? Anyone else think trying to sign him for 5 million is me over paying or under paying?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad