Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I really think there's absolutely no value in speculating, pontificating, or worrying about this until we get some actual further news. Grier thought replacing Quinn a year earlier than apparently planned was the right move, and there are a dozen separate reasons why that could be, but we won't know which one is true (and thus, have no means by which to actually evaluate the process) until we get more info.
I thought that was what this message board was for?

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don’t care if the coach has NHL experience I care that he’s a good coach.

I can’t get it out of my mind that Gallant at least outwardly seems like the kind of guy Grier would want (fiery, accountability, etc etc) but since we have no actual idea why Quinn was fired (this team would have been terrible under the best coach), I don’t know the quality he’s looking to replace.

I actually really dislike the game of musical chairs that NHL coaches play and I’d rather bring in someone smart and promising with new ideas than the same old thing. Isn’t Marco Sturm supposed to be pretty good?

**edited Marco in for Nico because brain
Grier was also part of the NYR front office group that hired Gallant if memory serves correctly. That said, if you're Gallant I don't see why you'd want to come to SJ in what's likely your final NHL HC job (successful means he coaches somewhere 4-5 years at which point he's 65 and failure means he's not getting another one most likely).

Jul 10, 2010
That's seemingly the party line from Rangers fans. I think that's why it was the message out there.
this seems like it applied mainly to KK and Laf, both of whom have shown to be underwhelming especially KK even in the absence of Quinn, so how much was him not wanting to play the kids vs the kids not being that great?

Reactions: coooldude

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
If he's also not committed to signing long-term deals, I don't know how he's going to pull that off.
I think Grier's knows the identity of the team he wants and trusts his ability to bring in under-utilized players. He wants the team to be competitive starting next year. Maybe not playoff-bound, but competitive. To go this path means he has a lot of confidence in seeing roles for declining players to be successful and judging talent. It will be really interesting to see who he signs over the summer.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

PlayTheMan

Feb 3, 2022
Which is exactly why it makes no sense to promote a guy who was part of the shitty culture.
Yes, culture was not so great but isn’t it the HC that runs the show while the AC’s are merely “toeing the line” to save face and their jobs. Thinking Warsofsky has already demonstrated HC skillsets albeit in the other leagues. Serious consideration should be given to him yet still not seeing any possible HC retreads.

PlayTheMan

Feb 3, 2022
That's seemingly the party line from Rangers fans. I think that's why it was the message out there.
And this same party line was asked of Quinn at the presser announcing Quinn as new SJ Head Coach. Grier almost immediately jumped up to take over the discussion. GMMG couldn’t let things start to spiral so early on.

PlayTheMan

Feb 3, 2022
Quinn had one edict this season - the team should be tough to play against and have a high compete. This team was the complete opposite. The only times there was any pushback was after Grier addressed the team and a slight bump when Couture came back for a few games.

I thought Sturm’s end of season comments revealed a lot. I took them to mean that the team became comfortable with being blown out in games and not pushing back. This is obviously not acceptable when you want prospects to be developing in the right kind of culture, otherwise you end up in the Buffalo/Arizona zone of constant rebuild.
Sturm is the epitome of an NHL caliber player with the right skillsets. Noticed him immediately as he 1st stepped out of the Shark head. Still fresh off from the SC winning Colo Avs was a bonus. Paid close attention to him throughout the season. His leadership skills were/are noticeable both on/off the ice. His recent “Locker Room Clean-Out” interview exhibited his high hockey IQ while assessing the ‘real’ story of the dismal ‘23-24 season. While we’ll always love Cooch, I believe Sturmi oozes the title of “Captaincy”. Or continue with 3 Alternates adding Sturmi to the trifecta is the way to go.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I saw Sheng’s ten coaches and didn’t think any of them ticked all the boxes but Evason made the most sense to me. I’m not sure a team trying to rebuild and teach young players NHL hockey should go with inexperienced coaches unless there’s a player development specialty associated with it.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
“And when the players played bad I said coach we must punish them, crush them for their weaknesses and coach said, Nico, relax for a second, and I said, this is how I relax.”
GMMG: "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"
Sturm: "No."
GMMG: "I thought not. It's not a story that JW would tell you..."

Reactions: Jargon

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Because GM position was primarily for a former Sharks player, the assumption is that a former Sharks player may be the leading candidate.

Of the candidates listed by folks, Marco Sturm and Dean Evanson fit those criteria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad