Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So what do you guys think Rocco Celery is going to ask for next year? Anyone else think trying to sign him for 5 million is me over paying or under paying?
Over-paying, for now. He's still a 3C as long as he's behind Stamkos and Point. Unless he blows up for 65 points, I think we'll get him for 4 or less. Hard to imagine him cracking 50 points, if only because of his role.

Things could change if we find someone else to play 3C and move him to a top-6 wing spot. But I feel like Cooper likes him where he is.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What’s your projection for the Italian Stallion for next season? Do we overrate him or is he the real deal?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What’s your projection for the Italian Stallion for next season? Do we overrate him or is he the real deal?
I said it earlier - a guy with brains and tenacity is the type of player I don't think you can put a ceiling on, but they're also hard to project. The only thing keeping him from being Point is puck skills, but those can improve.

Basically - I don't know. He's an x factor. Could be another 40 point season on the third line being our match up center, or he could get top 6 time and score 70. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My guess is he scores 21g - 26a - 47p playing #1PK and #2PP while also getting looks in the top 6 at some points. He gets a 2 year bridge at 2.85.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Think he'll stay at 3C for now and continue to give us solid strength down the middle. I think he might just be the real deal, but, as others have said, he's got Stamkos and Point ahead of him at center so I doubt we'll overpay him. But dang, he's gonna be fun to watch this season!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My guess is he scores 21g - 26a - 47p playing #1PK and #2PP while also getting looks in the top 6 at some points. He gets a 2 year bridge at 2.85.

Looks about right to me.

Interesting note: I picked up a magazine a few days back and they picked Cirelli for the Selke. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that doesn't happen, but this is how reputations are built. So maybe in a few years he starts getting in the conversation.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Looks about right to me.

Interesting note: I picked up a magazine a few days back and they picked Cirelli for the Selke. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that doesn't happen, but this is how reputations are built. So maybe in a few years he starts getting in the conversation.
Didn’t he finish 11th in Selke voting last season?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Looks about right to me.

Bolts Magazine? :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bolts Magazine? :laugh:
Haha, nah. One of the hockey forecasting magazines. I was surprised anyone was paying attention. We usually have to wait for the playoffs before people check in, and we all know what a fiasco that was last year.

Reactions: Rschmitz

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Depending on his season but I think that number is a little high what they would give him

Could have to match it if anyone were to offer sheet him. There's also Sergachev to re-sign, gotta wonder if he will demand anything like his contemporaries (Provorov/Werenski)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Could have to match it if anyone were to offer sheet him. There's also Sergachev to re-sign, gotta wonder if he will demand anything like his contemporaries (Provorov/Werenski)

Sergachev could be a good target for an offersheet next off season. If he has another shaky season the Lightning will absolutely not be comfortable giving him lots of money, while it would definitely be worth the risk for someone else to throw ~5 million at him.

Sergachev should not be compared to Provorov and Werenski as of now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would Bolts pay 4.2 for him?

It really depends on what happens around him, and how his season goes. If he ends up in the top-six and scores 50+ points, 4.2m x 3 might be about right.

I think he'll get some time in the top-six but mostly be used in a 3C role. And I feel like we'll end up just over 3m on the contract.

Next year's gonna be tough. Somebody will likely be traded. Odds-on favorite right now, IMO, is Sergachev, but he can have a big season and make it somebody else. Maybe even Cirelli or Joseph.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev could be a good target for an offersheet next off season. If he has another shaky season the Lightning will absolutely not be comfortable giving him lots of money, while it would definitely be worth the risk for someone else to throw ~5 million at him.

Sergachev should not be compared to Provorov and Werenski as of now.

We know this from watching him every night. The problem, of course, is Sergachev's numbers are quite a bit higher than his actual value.

I don't know. Russians tend to show a little bit of loyalty to us, or so it seems with the other two, so maybe he does us a favor. But he really doesn't have to. I don't think it's unthinkable that he asks for 4. I just think it would be unthinkable that we pay him that. Barring a step forward, obviously. That would be an awesome problem to have.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
We know this from watching him every night. The problem, of course, is Sergachev's numbers are quite a bit higher than his actual value.

I don't know. Russians tend to show a little bit of loyalty to us, or so it seems with the other two, so maybe he does us a favor. But he really doesn't have to. I don't think it's unthinkable that he asks for 4. I just think it would be unthinkable that we pay him that. Barring a step forward, obviously. That would be an awesome problem to have.
Definitely a good problem to have, but perhaps a problem without a clear resolution if he and Cirelli both take a step forward this season. Next offseason will be tricky to say the least.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I would be shocked if a team offer sheeted Cirelli. He's good but not a guy you would go out of your way to bother doing that with, and I don't think the gap between how we value him and other teams value him is that large. Sergachev I agree could be more of a target that keeps coming up, we don't need him as badly as other teams might.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would be shocked if a team offer sheeted Cirelli. He's good but not a guy you would go out of your way to bother doing that with, and I don't think the gap between how we value him and other teams value him is that large. Sergachev I agree could be more of a target that keeps coming up, we don't need him as badly as other teams might.

That might make him a bigger target. He wouldn't cost a ton of picks because you wouldn't have to offer him the moon to take it out of our price range.

Let's say he puts up 20 goals and 45 points as a shut-down center. Could we match a 5m offer sheet, with the other players we have coming up? Probably not. And it wouldn't cost the other team a crazy amount of picks, if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I have to think we move one of our other role players to keep him in that scenario.

Who knows, maybe things will change but so far offer sheets have been used for the Weber/Aho types not 3rd liners.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I have to think we move one of our other role players to keep him in that scenario.

Who knows, maybe things will change but so far offer sheets have been used for the Weber/Aho types not 3rd liners.
I'm with @DFC, I think teams would be smarter and more successful if they targeted some of the guys who are more of a "reach," instead of seeing if they shake loose from a team like ours. How many Kyle Palmieri-like trades have there been in the last 5 years or so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->