Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What would it take for the lightning to trade Cirelli at the draft? Is there any scenario where you can trade him and improve the team as a whole?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What would it take for the lightning to trade Cirelli at the draft? Is there any scenario where you can trade him and improve the team as a whole?
You can see the general mood around here on him (and Sergachev) on Speculation: - 2021-2022 General Lightning Discussion beginning with the post by Perratrooper asking a similar question from earlier this season.

At this point, I think I'm significantly back on the "keep Sergachev" train, but I suspect the cap reaper is coming for us one way or another and if we could get someone like the names I mentioned in that discussion, e.g. Newhook, Mercer then we have to at least think about moving him if he appears to not have another gear offensively during the regular season or postseason.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
You can see the general mood around here on him (and Sergachev) on Speculation: - 2021-2022 General Lightning Discussion beginning with the post by Perratrooper asking a similar question from earlier this season.

At this point, I think I'm significantly back on the "keep Sergachev" train, but I suspect the cap reaper is coming for us one way or another and if we could get someone like the names I mentioned in that discussion, e.g. Newhook, Mercer then we have to at least think about moving him if he appears to not have another gear offensively during the regular season or postseason.
That Cap reaper iS coming. For either Sergi or Cirelli. The chance that Cap will increase even the 1 million that has been talked about could well be in jeapordy. The number of games already postponed and the possibility that the league will be paused longer than this Christmas break are real. The league has pulled the players from the Olympics in the last 24 hours. Could be to make up games or maybe a precursor to a longer pause. Rumblings starting to come out of Ottawa about closing the border again.
The bright sidr in my opinion is the more days they do not play the more games in the end we have Kuch and Pointer back. I will eat some crow here the team has done really well without those two except the Pp. I hope the season is not shortened but it well could be.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

it would take a lot because we aren’t looking to trade him so another team would have to over pay if they wanted him for us to say yea

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It would take a large overpay to have JBB even consider moving Cirelli. Even when all 3 of Cirelli, Serg, and Cernak need new deals summer after next, it should be doable to keep all 3. JBB will have to make a choice as to who between Palat and Killorn is more valuable long term, as in order to keep all 3 of the aforementioned players, one of the two will need to be traded or let walk. Doing so should.let the team have a 22 player roster for 23-24, with Maroon still there if both sides want, one of Miftakhov or Alnefelt as the backup to Vasilevskiy, and the defense mostly the same(Rutta lely gone but by then Foote will have plenty of exp and Thompson will likely be ready). Tbe only other losses may be Perry and/or Bellemare, but they didn't seem to be intended as long term solutions anyway. With Fortier, ABB possibly, Finley, Goncalves etc., Tampa shouldn't have a problem filling out the middle/bottom 6 either. Cirelli is too important to move barring something ridiculous coming back, and the team shouldn't have to.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
Sure, there are scenarios where trading Cirelli could be parlayed into more production, but it is pretty unlikely. Draft picks are crap shoots, even in the first round. This is a text book "bird in the hand" situation.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Sure, there are scenarios where trading Cirelli could be parlayed into more production, but it is pretty unlikely. Draft picks are crap shoots, even in the first round. This is a text book "bird in the hand" situation.
The danger is we may have too many big birds in our hands in the short term if the cap is only going to raise 1M/year.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's a tough call as Cirelli has really stepped up again with the injuries, but so has Sergachev.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
The danger is we may have too many big birds in our hands in the short term if the cap is only going to raise 1M/year.
I wasn't thinking in terms of cap, just the on ice. With the exception of Palat they've got two more years to keep the core mostly intact to try to make history. After that, particularly if they do, whatever cap hell they will be in at that time will have been well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I wasn't thinking in terms of cap, just the on ice. With the exception of Palat they've got two more years to keep the core mostly intact to try to make history. After that, particularly if they do, whatever cap hell they will be in at that time will have been well worth it.

I could see Palat signing cheaper on his next deal. Like 3m x 2 years. If not we likely let him walk.

road islander

Sep 16, 2019
West Warwick, RI
I could see Palat signing cheaper on his next deal. Like 3m x 2 years. If not we likely let him walk.
I think it all depends on how we finish. *If we manage to pull it off again this year IMO he would take a short term deal at relatively low $ to try to be part of something even more extraordinary and historic next year, but if we do come up short he's probably gone. Now, if we get to the finals and lose in 6 or 7, he may still want to stick around at low $ to try for 3 in of 4 years if we got that close with the core still intact.

*Yes, I know, a long, long way to go before any of that is on the horizon and a lot of mighty big "ifs" in there. And, no, I admittedly don't know anything about his personal economic circumstance or how much money motivates him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NatoGhost

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Open market will pay a guy like him a lot. I can sort of see him agreeing to 3m, but only if we're giving him a lot of years.

I think there will be more than a few teams lining up to give him 6 on a 2 or 3 year deal.

6 seems high to me but possible. 5m open market maybe. This past season (while extremely unusual) saw a lot of guys left over looking for deals. But with Palats cups and track record as a solid contributor, you're right - he'll be sought after. Everyone of our legit pieces is sought after when they leave it seems...

But with TJ going to Chicago and other friends going elsewhere with varied amounts of success...I wouldn't be surprised if he hears people saying that it might be worth staying if he can make it work. He's made some good $$$ on this last contract and he's getting older now. Decline likely around the corner?

Reactions: The Big Swede13

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa can likely pay Palat somewhere between 4-4.5 and still probably keep Cirelli, Cernak and Sergachev when they need new deals. There's basically no way to keep all 5 of Palat, Killorn, and the 3 main rfa's after next season, so a decision between Palat and Killorn is likely coming. If Palat gets re-signed, it likely means the end of Killorn after next season, but if Palat ends up walking, then I would expect a new deal for Killorn to be done sooner rather than later.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
6 seems high to me but possible. 5m open market maybe. This past season (while extremely unusual) saw a lot of guys left over looking for deals. But with Palats cups and track record as a solid contributor, you're right - he'll be sought after. Everyone of our legit pieces is sought after when they leave it seems...

But with TJ going to Chicago and other friends going elsewhere with varied amounts of success...I wouldn't be surprised if he hears people saying that it might be worth staying if he can make it work. He's made some good $$$ on this last contract and he's getting older now. Decline likely around the corner?

On a short term deal I think 6 is where he lands. He'll take less for term, like Hyman, but in the short-term I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think a few teams will pony up 6 for Palat. Every year there are at least a handful of teams who think they need to add some grit to their skill. Hell, we did, and getting Palat healthy for a couple of post-seasons was part of the recipe that won two cups.

Teams also pay for winning experience -- look at the Coleman and Goodrow contracts. Palat brings a lot more to the table than either of those guys, and he also has the experience.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
On a short term deal I think 6 is where he lands. He'll take less for term, like Hyman, but in the short-term I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think a few teams will pony up 6 for Palat. Every year there are at least a handful of teams who think they need to add some grit to their skill. Hell, we did, and getting Palat healthy for a couple of post-seasons was part of the recipe that won two cups.

Teams also pay for winning experience -- look at the Coleman and Goodrow contracts. Palat brings a lot more to the table than either of those guys, and he also has the experience.
Hell, if we want to peg the AAV at 6, then just look at Taylor Hall getting it for 4 years. If he goes to the market I don't think 7 is out of the question on something relatively short.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Whoever pays him that much will be sorely disappointed I feel. Great player but consider how we found guys like that on the cheap means they really shouldn't be worth $6-7m, lol. They will be mad when he doesn't score for half the year and gets injured.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just want to note it. I've been pretty critical of Cirelli's playoff performances (sort of -- what I tend to say is "He hasn't figured it out yet."). This year, I think he's figured it out. He's been great shadowing Mathews, and he popped a goal tonight. Win or lose, this is the best series of his playoff career.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
iu

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You sometimes get frustrated with his lack of scoring and then he has games like he did last night. The guy just has a motor that never stops.
He's played a lot tougher. A lot harder on the puck and harder on his opponent. It reminds me of what we saw Gourde go through. Gourde was borderline terrible in his first couple of playoffs, but then in the cup year, it was like he magically figured out how to make his game translate.

Cirelli was never terrible. He was just not a playoff performer. But that appears to have changed. I think he's been one of our three or four best players this series, and probably our single best last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad