Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Except I'm not seeing anything resembling a top-6 player in Colton, shiny new toy syndrome?

People forgetting that Ross Colton is a year older than Cirelli too?
Last season he had 20 less games and he was at 3rd 4th line and only 10 less points than Cirelli. So I think he can be scoring forward. I dont say he is better,i say he can be better at 2nd C IF he develops right. Its only hes other season in NHL.
I didnt know he is older

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think what's disillusioned us about Cirelli is he's had really productive parts of seasons before and just hasn't been able to get back to that trajectory. It's like he's lost the offensive spark. Just thinking back to that 2nd year where he had 19 goals, 5 shorthanded. The next year he was shooting more, and then after that he's just kind of been more on the defensive part of being a 2-way player and we're being angsty about it, lol.

Colton made a big splash in a small sample size and now we're expecting too much out of him, so it's really hard and unfair to compare really.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cirelli as a call-up in 2018 had 1 less point in 12 less games than Colton last year.

It's new toy syndrome.

Reactions: Peacefool

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not sure what people see in Colton to think he'd be a top 6 player. Nothing in his skillset would have me thinking so. He's been a great bottom 6 guy so far and I for one am perfectly fine with that.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Anybody else notice Cirelli has flipped the switch back on? Regardless of points or goals, he's a force on the ice again in all zones. Does anybody have answers or speculation on what's going on in his head? Or really, what was going on for about a year?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Anybody else notice Cirelli has flipped the switch back on? Regardless of points or goals, he's a force on the ice again in all zones. Does anybody have answers or speculation on what's going on in his head? Or really, what was going on for about a year?

I think he might have been banged up the last year or so and that can affect things and it can be hard to get back on track to where you once were when that happens sometimes. For the majority of his career with us he's been a tough sob to play against.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Easy, it's called a slump.

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
Cirelli is at his best when he's crashing the net. Maybe he should keep the face shield.
In between periods during Bally Sports interview, Cirelli said something to the effect that he can take more risks with the face shield because of the protection it offers him. If this is the Cirelli we get with the shield then he should wear it every game! In fact, I think the NHL should go to a mandatory face shield - we all know why they wont because you cant fight with it on but with player safety becoming the #1 issue for nearly all sports leagues, full face shields should happen.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
In between periods during Bally Sports interview, Cirelli said something to the effect that he can take more risks with the face shield because of the protection it offers him. If this is the Cirelli we get with the shield then he should wear it every game! In fact, I think the NHL should go to a mandatory face shield - we all know why they wont because you cant fight with it on but with player safety becoming the #1 issue for nearly all sports leagues, full face shields should happen.
Downsides of the full shield are air flow (problems breathing), communication (harder to hear you) and sweat buildup (impaired vision and discomfort). But I’m sure those could be improved if properly investigated. But it’s the reason - besides pride and “honor” of course - nobody is wearing one voluntarily.

A cage doesn’t really fix those issues either. But it wouldn’t shock me if they (full face protection of some sort) become mandatory in say 10-30 years.

Last edited:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Downsides of the full shield are air flow (problems breathing), communication (harder to hear you) and sweat buildup (impaired vision and discomfort). But I’m sure those could be improved if properly investigated. But it’s the reason - besides pride and “honor” - nobody is wearing one voluntarily.
also currently it is against the rules to wear them, unless you have an injury, from what i remember.

Reactions: The Macho King

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's a disadvantage too, you cannot get bloodied by a high stick and draw a double minor.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
as i understand it, you have a greater possibility of inflicting damage onto another player e.g. accidental head butts, etc.

but more likely than not it is about fighting and toxic masculinity.

Yeah I think part of it has to be all of nothing like the NCAA and women's international, either everyone wears a cage or no one. Part of it is likely marketing as well, not being able to see a players face a big turn off from a selling point.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I think part of it has to be all of nothing like the NCAA and women's international, either everyone wears a cage or no one. Part of it is likely marketing as well, not being able to see a players face a big turn off from a selling point.
It works in the NFL though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Football players tend to take their helmets off on the sideline at least though. Hockey players are still at risk from pucks so they probably wouldn't take them off on the bench for marketing reasons.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I also find hockey to have a lot more "player fans" than Football fans who are more overall team invested.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I also find hockey to have a lot more "player fans" than Football fans who are more overall team invested.

I can't say I've ever noticed this. If anything, there are plenty of Tom Brady fans rooting for the Bucs right now, and I'll also just say basketball and soccer are the kings of having "player fans".

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad