Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Cirelli is the reason we lock up and win games, say what you will about his production but his job is exactly as he is performing it now. You might not like that he doesn't score more, but this is what peak performance looks like.
It is not that he does not score more often. He has never been a scorer and what he brings is important. It’s the fact is if he’s skating he’s on that 2nd line killing production. Putting him on the 3rd line is not going to reduce his minutes all that much considering the number of PPs
The team gives up. Over time his cap hit is going to draw criticism. There is not a playoff contender out there that can take on his cap hit so it could become a sticky situation.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It is not that he does not score more often. He has never been a scorer and what he brings is important. It’s the fact is if he’s skating he’s on that 2nd line killing production. Putting him on the 3rd line is not going to reduce his minutes all that much considering the number of PPs
The team gives up. Over time his cap hit is going to draw criticism. There is not a playoff contender out there that can take on his cap hit so it could become a sticky situation.
Honestly I think he has a better scoring touch than what people give him credit for, I also think he has actually been pretty f***ing good this season as a half ppg player who gives you defense coming off of shoulder surgery. Thats worth 6m to me.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Honestly I think he has a better scoring touch than what people give him credit for, I also think he has actually been pretty f***ing good this season as a half ppg player who gives you defense coming off of shoulder surgery. Thats worth 6m to me.
That’s only 40 point for an entire season. That is not good enough for a 2C in Tampa. If 40 points is worth 6 mil what is Point and Kuch and Stammer worth. This type thinking is why the team in in cap hell. HFer’s we’re on the warpath about Johnson, Palat, Killorn is still getting roasted on and on for making too much money. Yes Cirelli is good defensively but not 6 mil good. In a cap environment when no one knows if a significant raise is coming. There is a role for Cirelli’s game on every team but his price tag is too much especially when you consider what this core makes. It is impossible to ice the bottom 6 and 3rd pair with competent support players . What you get is a 3rd and 4th line of redundancy of aged out or ELC’s that can not produce. In the old days the top two lines were scoring lines the 3rd a shutdown line and the 4th a grind line. The game has went past that. I do not think JBB did this on purpose, he and many here thought Jeannot was going to be able to play 2nd line from the goals he scored last year. Now some people are already wanting him resigned. He’s just another guy that can not keep up with this top 6. He may well be the slowest skater on the team.

Great the team has won a couple and looked better this past week but that little monkey is still sitting on the shoulder waiting to collapse again. That’s what happens when you have streaky scoring, that is why Hagel is hurting the team right now last night was what 15 in a row without a goal. The top 6 has to be consistent when that’s all the offense you have on most nights. Or we can hope for two goal games from Maroon or Perry, or Belly. The construction of the cup teams only comes along once in a while. Then the tree king begins as the luster fades. Cirelli is young but he will not be around for the next cup run.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Great the team has won a couple and looked better this past week but that little monkey is still sitting on the shoulder waiting to collapse again. That’s what happens when you have streaky scoring, that is why Hagel is hurting the team right now last night was what 15 in a row without a goal. The top 6 has to be consistent when that’s all the offense you have on most nights. Or we can hope for two goal games from Maroon or Perry, or Belly. The construction of the cup teams only comes along once in a while. Then the tree king begins as the luster fades. Cirelli is young but he will not be around for the next cup run.

Our next cup run is in like 2 weeks and as for the 1st bolded are you on drugs?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Cirelli at 0.5ppg right now. He's been pretty much a 0.5ppg player his whole career. What is the realistic expectation? Like honest question, what does someone like Byrddog, as a ex-coach like he has stated, want from a defensive forward putting up 0.5ppg? Is the cost a little high? Sure, but its not some egregious over pay.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
That’s only 40 point for an entire season. That is not good enough for a 2C in Tampa. If 40 points is worth 6 mil what is Point and Kuch and Stammer worth. This type thinking is why the team in in cap hell. HFer’s we’re on the warpath about Johnson, Palat, Killorn is still getting roasted on and on for making too much money. Yes Cirelli is good defensively but not 6 mil good. In a cap environment when no one knows if a significant raise is coming. There is a role for Cirelli’s game on every team but his price tag is too much especially when you consider what this core makes. It is impossible to ice the bottom 6 and 3rd pair with competent support players . What you get is a 3rd and 4th line of redundancy of aged out or ELC’s that can not produce. In the old days the top two lines were scoring lines the 3rd a shutdown line and the 4th a grind line. The game has went past that. I do not think JBB did this on purpose, he and many here thought Jeannot was going to be able to play 2nd line from the goals he scored last year. Now some people are already wanting him resigned. He’s just another guy that can not keep up with this top 6. He may well be the slowest skater on the team.

tl;dr I don't think its an unreasonable salary and given his playoff pedigree, even coming off a busted shoulder, he'd still command that number or more on the open market. Yeah I get it you want him to score more, we want everyone to pot 30 but he hasn't been the problem this season or last. Also i'd hang my hat on him having a career curve similar to Killer. 71s shooting percentage has been in a steady decline since he came into the league and hes shooting 10% currently, if he can get back to the 12% mark I think his numbers look a lot better.

Oh I do wish his faceoffs were better though

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL

Apples and oranges. You might as well ask how much Vasy is worth with his 2 points, not much else to say here.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
I've been critical of the contract JB gave Cirelli since the moment it was given, but he's currently tied for the lead in goals - something I don't think anyone would have guessed. Keep earning it my man.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
2 goals in 16 games. First year on a big contract and he looks like shit offensively. ABB and Eyssimont have more goals at a fraction of the cost. Yes, Cirelli is the better all around player, it just sucks we have him at over 6M for 8 years when his offense is what it is. That's a high priced 3C. Proves his worth during the playoffs but eventually as the legit 2C... we need some regular season offense dude...

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
3 goals in 24 games. His shooting percentage gets worse every year. Don't worry though guys! We signed him for his defense! Thank God teams like Dallas can't score 8 goals when he's on the ice... oh wait.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
9 points in a 24 game stretch isn't too un-Cirelli like, as he's never had more than 44 points and never finished a season on pace for anything higher than 53 points. The -8 is pretty bad when his defense is supposed to be earning that 8 year contract. Even though he and Killorn were never flashy together, perhaps Cirelli benefitted from playing with him more than we knew.

Reactions: Hoek

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I like Cirelli, I like his job but is not his fault for the "awesome" deal that his agent get. Is crazy to think that he make only few millions than Kucherov.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
9 points in a 24 game stretch isn't too un-Cirelli like, as he's never had more than 44 points and never finished a season on pace for anything higher than 53 points. The -8 is pretty bad when his defense is supposed to be earning that 8 year contract. Even though he and Killorn were never flashy together, perhaps Cirelli benefitted from playing with him more than we knew.
Shopting percentage has gone down every season IIRC too. He's overpaid as a 3C and ineffective as a 2C this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad