Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I would hope they sit the guy with 1 point in his last 17 games and not the one with 5 in that span. You should be playing the guys who are playing the best currently and Cirelli is the worst forward the past month+.

Yes, because points over 17 games is the perfect and ideal means of measuring a guy's performance.

Let me guess, you were one of the people calling to bench ABB because he hadn't scored in his first 8?

Points are a bad way to measure guys over anything less than a season, and cherrypicking a short timeframe serves only to advance a narrative, not make good hockey decisions. Cirelli continues to bring a lot to the team. Maybe, maaaybe you give him some games off if you think the break will be good for him, but no sane coach benches Cirelli just to play Johnson.

Reactions: gn2007

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When you make close to 5m as a forward and have 1 point in the last 17 games then yes it an ideal way to measure suckage. He's been on the ice for a lot more goals against than for in that frame also, and his faceoffs have been bad so it's not like he's bringing "other things" lately either.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, because points over 17 games is the perfect and ideal means of measuring a guy's performance.

Let me guess, you were one of the people calling to bench ABB because he hadn't scored in his first 8?

Points are a bad way to measure guys over anything less than a season, and cherrypicking a short timeframe serves only to advance a narrative, not make good hockey decisions. Cirelli continues to bring a lot to the team. Maybe, maaaybe you give him some games off if you think the break will be good for him, but no sane coach benches Cirelli just to play Johnson.

So we are going to excuse this run of games for Cirelli and look at his past work but we are judging Johnson on his current play and not his past work. Johnson has 4 20 goal seasons, Cirelli has yet to have one. Johnson has 5 seasons with 45 or more points, Cirelli career high is 44. If you want me to bring in their playoff stats I can but that doesn't help Cirelli. Cirelli isn't really bringing a lot to the team anymore we aren't getting out of Goodrow and Coleman for much cheaper. I don't think Cirelli is as bad as this stretch is but I don't think he's worth his contract. I thought he should've gotten 3-3.5 and he needed to prove more. So with us in a window to win we can't be wasting 4.8M on 22 points when we are getting 18 points and more goals for 737k from Joseph. And no I didn't want to bench ABB, I saw what he did in Syracuse so I knew he could score here if given time.

Reactions: NatoGhost

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's hard to differentiate between them lately, really. If anything, Johnson's creating a little more. Cirelli is starting to look like Killorn without the shot.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So we are going to excuse this run of games for Cirelli and look at his past work but we are judging Johnson on his current play and not his past work. Johnson has 4 20 goal seasons, Cirelli has yet to have one. Johnson has 5 seasons with 45 or more points, Cirelli career high is 44. If you want me to bring in their playoff stats I can but that doesn't help Cirelli. Cirelli isn't really bringing a lot to the team anymore we aren't getting out of Goodrow and Coleman for much cheaper. I don't think Cirelli is as bad as this stretch is but I don't think he's worth his contract. I thought he should've gotten 3-3.5 and he needed to prove more. So with us in a window to win we can't be wasting 4.8M on 22 points when we are getting 18 points and more goals for 737k from Joseph. And no I didn't want to bench ABB, I saw what he did in Syracuse so I knew he could score here if given time.
Spot on Cirelli is playing hisself into the Johnson position where he is non tradeable due to his contract. While the term is not as bad as Johnsons the overpayment is in this restricted cap. He is below Coleman in production and just above Goodrow who combined are 2.1 mil cheaper than Cirelli. I see no reason that Gourde should not be put in the 2C position. Of course some will argue breaking up the 3rd line but there is really no reason not to bring Coleman up to the 2nd either Killer Gourde and Coleman could produce more than the current 2nd line with increased minutes likely a lot more. Cirelli, Coleman and Johnson could be used as a EXPENSIVE 3rd line to shutdown. Heck one could move Maroon up to the 3rd and get him more minutes there is a reason he is played on the 2nd PP he tends to create points he is only 4 points behind Cirelli and 2 behind Johnson with his limited minutes.

Things need to be changed this is a team that was scoring almost 4 goals a game earlier in the year and had 3 goals or less in 12 0f the last 16 games while opponents have scored 3 or more in 6 of those games. This team is not built for low scoring contests where one mistake beats them.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Yeah, I don't think Coleman or Goodrow will be any worse with Cirelli, just make them a dedicated shut down line. Stack the top line and then have our next 3 highest forwards on a line with Palat-Gourde-Killorn.
I personally prefer

Palat Cirelli killorn

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think it is obvious that he needs to be on a shut down line. Get this guy as far away from the Ozone as possible
This. When Cirelli was at his best he was a shutdown center against other teams top lines.

He has been pretty average the past 360 days. We have enough goal scoring talent when fully healthy, but because 2 of our best scorers are gone we've been looking to him.
(We also won't have Coleman next season, can't afford him. Hes been able to pick up some of the slack)

Reactions: NatoGhost

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah, I don't think Coleman or Goodrow will be any worse with Cirelli, just make them a dedicated shut down line. Stack the top line and then have our next 3 highest forwards on a line with Palat-Gourde-Killorn.

Are you talking about when Stamkos and Kuch are back? Ok, maybe. I don't know why you want to deprive Gourde of Coleman and Goodrow, but nothing too wrong with the lines you've proposed.

But the proposal you're agreeing with is to move Cirelli now. I don't get how anyone think Gourde's better with Johnson and Killorn than where he's currently at.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Are you talking about when Stamkos and Kuch are back? Ok, maybe. I don't know why you want to deprive Gourde of Coleman and Goodrow, but nothing too wrong with the lines you've proposed.

But the proposal you're agreeing with is to move Cirelli now. I don't get how anyone think Gourde's better with Johnson and Killorn than where he's currently at.
It is not about making Gourde better it is about having a second line that is a threat to score and taking some pressure off the point line from drawing the sole attention of the shutdown lines of other teams. Coleman and Goodrow will be just as effective offensively with Cirelli. And Gourde will help Killorn. I would still prefer moving Coleman and Gourde up to the 2nd for now and allow Johnson and Cirelli to play shutdown with Goodrow who is not much of a offensive threat anyway.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

No, when the playoffs start. We don't have a choice with what we have right now and with Kuch and Stamkos back it'll ease some of the pressure on the guys down the lineup.

Reactions: LeafLoyalist

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gage Goncalves will make Cirelli expendable after next season. Goncalves looks like the true 2C we need, someone who can put points on the board and elevate his linemates.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It’s early but need more offense from the 2C. It’s time this year, otherwise he’s still very useful as an energy 3C that is shut down and can play up occasionally. Just would need to be paid accordingly.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It’s early but need more offense from the 2C. It’s time this year, otherwise he’s still very useful as an energy 3C that is shut down and can play up occasionally. Just would need to be paid accordingly.

Huh? 4 points in 5 games. Tied with Kucherov for 2nd among forwards, more points than Point and Palat this season. What?

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
Celery is a reactive rather than proactive player. He is not creative and never will be. However, as a reactive player he is intelligent and has good game vision.

Equals shutdown line for me.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Its very depends on Coltons and his developing,cuz Colton have skills,good hands,skating,field vision ,if Colton progresses and figures out the playtime of top 6,he should take Cirelli spot as 2nd C,and Cirelli can play like 3c and be true shutdown guy

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Are we watching the same Colton who has blown like a dozen grade A chances in front of the net and saying he's top-6 material over a guy who has averaged 40 point pace his entire career?

Or am I missing something becauase Colton isn't showing he's anything more than a 4th line center. Colton has once again moved up the lineup and once again showing nothing and somehow the guy with 4 points in 5 games is not scoring enough.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Are we watching the same Colton who has blown like a dozen grade A chances in front of the net and saying he's top-6 material over a guy who has averaged 40 point pace his entire career?

Or am I missing something becauase Colton isn't showing he's anything more than a 4th line center. Colton has once again moved up the lineup and once again showing nothing and somehow the guy with 4 points in 5 games is not scoring enough.
Thats why I said he can be top 6 if he develoos in the right way,but guy have skills,good hands,shot,skating. So if he can make next step in understanding the game I can see him in scoring line and playing at least as effective as Cirelli.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Thats why I said he can be top 6 if he develoos in the right way,but guy have skills,good hands,shot,skating. So if he can make next step in understanding the game I can see him in scoring line and playing at least as effective as Cirelli.

Except I'm not seeing anything resembling a top-6 player in Colton, shiny new toy syndrome?

People forgetting that Ross Colton is a year older than Cirelli too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad