Player Discussion Anthony Beauvillier

Huhu

Nov 28, 2021
Beauvillier occupies a similar spot as Horvat on the PP but also seems to move around a little more while avoiding the greasiest parts right in front of the net. He's possibly enjoying a nice bump while playing a more open offense focused system and benefiting from the lack of scouting of how he currently is fitting in with the Canucks.

If he keeps being this successful, teams will definitely tighten up and focus on him, similar to how Horvat's numbers dropped off after teams started to figure some of his plays out. Not necessarily a bad thing as that could make more room for his linemates. Still too early to call but happy to see him doing well.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I'm certain I'm a bit out of touch, I won't argue there, I'm no longer in Vancouver and out of "the scene," but it isn't just "partying" that makes Vancouver a less than optimal hockey environment - it's restaurants, proximity to the outdoors for hiking, skiing, boating, etc. Back in the 90s, I had a business for a few years that brought me into fairly regular contact with actors and professional athletes within an "extracurricular" social context and I will tell you this: there is an extended underground party network that exists exclusively to cater to high profile public figures who who prefer to engage in certain activities without public scrutiny. This includes restaurants, clubs and bars that reopen after hours, plus hotel rooms, yachts, houses and condos that are set up for these purposes. There are drug dealers, sex workers, DJs, servers, organizers, personal assistants, etc. that often (or at least used to) work almost exclusively in and around this not-so-visible industry. Hell, Geoff Courtnall once opened his own restaurant/bar a block away from GM Place just so he and his buddies could party there after it closed.

A young professional athlete with a condo in Yaletown in a movie production city has a lot of potential distraction that someone in a decaying industrial city like Detroit isn't likely to have, where there is absolutely nothing else to do after the game except head directly home to the wife and kids in the suburbs. In the five decades I've been watching hockey the Rangers almost always have had one of the most talented rosters in the league and the absolute best travel schedule but always had trouble sealing the deal. Back in the late 70s and early 80s a lot of their guys even had reputations for partying in public.

Anyway, this is really veering off-topic.

I know very little about Beauville, I don't know what the team's plans are for more roster moves, but at this point it seems redundant to pick up yet another mid-20s middling winger with a somewhat sizeable salary when the team STILL needs to substantially improve the blueline.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM (2).jpg

Reactions: Bobby9

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Personally think AB is a solid top 6 complimentary winger if we can keep him for a decent contract. Moves well has a quick release. Not going to a be a line driver but will put up points.

Reactions: platotld

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Personally think AB is a solid top 6 complimentary winger if we can keep him for a decent contract. Moves well has a quick release. Not going to a be a line driver but will put up points.
Early returns look promising for him through the lens his contract is like 850k less than Garland, and is like 2.5 mill less than Brock. Mikhayev provides utility AB doesn’t, so not gonna shade him for his 4.75 here.

Reactions: VIPettersson

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The book on him according to Islanders hockey media, is that he plays well for a stretch, and then becomes anonymous for a stretch of games..so we'll see.

He looks to be a good fit with EP, and I even saw a bit of telekinetic passing between the two last night...Also, great hand/eye coordination for deflecting shots.

Some of the recent comments that he replaces/or is better than Horvat are absurd though.

Ya I'm going to reserve my judgement here. Beau has a good shooting arsenal for sure and is historically at a 13+ shooting %. Then it went down to ~8% in the past 1 1/2 years with the Isles.

The talent is there, the problem really is that he's been on a downwards trend the past 1 1/2 seasons.

Personally, I prefer Garland and age aside Mikheyev. Garland is having a down season production wise but he remains one of our best 5 v 5 and Mikheyev's brings size, speed, and physicality that the other two lack and is better defensively than Beau and can PK.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Beauvillier has been a pleasant surprise based on the limited sample size.

Based on all factors this is my list of the high priced wingers in order I would keep:

Kuzmenko
Mikheyev
Beauvillier
Boeser
Garland
Pearson

At least two players in this group need to be moved at the TDL or in the summer in order to start to rebalance the roster. Pearson is a no brainer (I do hope he is healthy, he just doesn't fit anymore). Boeser is better than Garland but his contract makes the decision a flip of the coin.

What I find interesting is that the three at the top of the list are those acquired by this management group. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase and new things look more attractive. IDK

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

Based on all factors this is my list of the high priced wingers in order I would keep:

Kuzmenko
Mikheyev
Beauvillier
Boeser
Garland
Pearson

At least two players in this group need to be moved at the TDL or in the summer in order to start to rebalance the roster. Pearson is a no brainer (I do hope he is healthy, he just doesn't fit anymore). Boeser is better than Garland but his contract makes the decision a flip of the coin.

What I find interesting is that the three at the top of the list are those acquired by this management group. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase and new things look more attractive. IDK
The guys at the top of the list have speed.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Hard not to be happy with his production in 7 games. But Tocchet has stapled AB to Pettersson's line and given him boatloads of PP1 minutes. It would be disappointing if AB wasn't putting up points.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. IMO the current ranking of the assets remains: 1st rd pick, then Beauvillier, then Raty.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Kuzmenko
Mikheyev
Beauvillier
Boeser
Garland
Pearson

Why does Pearson have his own special serif font

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I absolutely did not want Beau playing on the top line with Kuzmenko and Petterson, but I was very very wrong.

Petey and Kuz are playing amazing and Beau is smart and skilled enough to keep up it seems. Early days but what a surprise that would be if Beau turns out to be a perfect fit for them.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, like I said in my next post Higgins was a superior defensive player to Beauvillier but he's a lot closer than Burrows and his production is pretty similar to Higgins for the course of his career.
I think I'd lean more towards Samuelsson than Higgins, personally, at least when it comes to competency in different areas. Defensive caliber is similar, production potential is similar, ability to score big goals is similar, lack of play-driving ability is similar.

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Bo Horvat - 11gp - 5G; 3A - 8P.
5.5M Cap Hit, then 8.5M to 2031. Age 27

Anthony Beavuillier - 11gp - 6G; 5A - 11P.
4.15M Cap Hit to 2024. Age 25

Just saying...
Not even surprised. This Canucks team is great for offensive minded players putting up numbers.

Personally I would sell high on Beau, I know that's not happening but nice to see him do well.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Not even surprised. This Canucks team is great for offensive minded players putting up numbers.

Personally I would sell high on Beau, I know that's not happening but nice to see him do well.
Would be amazing to pump him up to a 75+ point player next season, age 26, and then flip him for a first round pick or solid prospect next deadline with his 4M cap hit, maybe even retaining a little.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

Kuzmenko
Mikheyev
Beauvillier
Boeser
Garland
Pearson

Defo.

Boeser, Garland, Pearson can go to start. Likely flip Beauvillier as a rental next TDL barring signing a team friendly deal.

Good player who is a great complimentary player on the top line but wary of handing out an expensive UFA contract for a short track record of this scoring clip.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Beauvillier is playing next to EP at 5v5 and on the top pp unit. Ofc he’s producing lmao.

Not every player is capable of piggybacking successfully.

He's showing he can play with high caliber players.

I don't think Beau is a point per game player or anything. He literally baseball swung a puck in the other night. Things are going right. That being said, it would be silly not to ride out this trio and see if he can really sustain some of these rates going in to next year.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
He’s had a great start. But we need a much larger sample size to see what we have as he’s never shown a lot of offense in the past. The good thing is that he’s still relatively young and coming from a team that is not that great offensively so it’s possible he has some untapped offensive production especially when playing with a player like EP. He also brings some speed and two way play on the wings that this team is sorely lacking.

I think this is important. Context of hockey players can make so much difference.

I do applaud Allvin n co for seemingly targeting the right types of players. Defensively capable, with speed.

Beauvillier is playing next to EP at 5v5 and on the top pp unit. Ofc he’s producing lmao.

And killing it. It’s not an automatic thing.

How many players did we cycle through the Sedins?

It’s a skill to be able to keep up to top talent w/o being a drag on them.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not every player is capable of piggybacking successfully.

He's showing he can play with high caliber players.

I don't think Beau is a point per game player or anything. He literally baseball swung a puck in the other night. Things are going right. That being said, it would be silly not to ride out this trio and see if he can really sustain some of these rates going in to next year.
I agree. I see him as a 40-50 point winger. And unlike Miller, Boeser, Kuzmenko he’s not trash in his own end.

I think this is important. Context of hockey players can make so much difference.

I do applaud Allvin n co for seemingly targeting the right types of players. Defensively capable, with speed.

And killing it. It’s not an automatic thing.

How many players did we cycle through the Sedins?

It’s a skill to be able to keep up to top talent w/o being a drag on them.
The sedins are different. You kind of needed to have atleast an above average iq to play with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad