Player Discussion Anthony Beauvillier

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Beauvillier seems to be a better fit on the 1st line than Mikheyev based on their limited time. But considering Mikheyev's injury this year, he could very well play better next year. Having more options is a good problem to have.

Reactions: m9

Nov 1, 2011
not a big fan if we move him… would rather move Boeser and Garland. If we can re-sign Beauvilier for about what he makes now we should do that. If he’s looking for a big pay day you trade him.

He was rightfully a cap dump at his current salary.

A good stretch with Petey and Kuzy shouldn't override his history.

If he wants to take less to stay, we can negotiate on that otherwise, we have several options for his spot (that will be harder to move because they are on even worse contracts).

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Beauvillier seems to be a better fit on the 1st line than Mikheyev based on their limited time. But considering Mikheyev's injury this year, he could very well play better next year. Having more options is a good problem to have.

I'd like to see Mikheyev with Miller at least to start next year. So something like

Beauvillier - Petterson - Kuzmenko
Miller - C - Mikheyev / LW - Miller - Mikheyev

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He was rightfully a cap dump at his current salary.

A good stretch with Petey and Kuzy shouldn't override his history.

If he wants to take less to stay, we can negotiate on that otherwise, we have several options for his spot (that will be harder to move because they are on even worse contracts).

Bingo. I get the hesitancy in trading a player that looks rejuvenated but the player is still a redundant asset in our system and we would be foolish not to trade him if there is potential to yield back a return while clearing a contract.

Trading Boeser or Garland would likely require salary retention along with additional assets going the other way. I'm the biggest critic of Boeser but the player still generates some offense and can be sheltered with the right defensive corps, and Garland's had a rather crappy year when we know he's capable of so much more.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Not only is it 'possible' they'll be worse next season, but it's probable. Just about every pre-season prognostication will have them as a lottery team in the West again. The only issue is whether they amass more or less points than this season.

But consider that other than Demko, the Canucks were remarkably free of injury this season. Won't happen again. What happens if Petey or Hughes were to go down? This team has little depth.....and their blueline will be in the midst of a complete makeover.

This season the Canucks PK was on pace to be worst in NHL history; and in terms of GA they're second from last. Unless that somehow changes, next year could be just as long suffering as this one.
Improving on historical bad pk should not be difficult. Goaltending is pretty important. Petey and Hughes are at new levels. Only good point you have is what happens if one of them go down. Canucks should not be worse next year. Possible but improbable.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Improving on historical bad pk should not be difficult. Goaltending is pretty important. Petey and Hughes are at new levels. Only good point you have is what happens if one of them go down. Canucks should not be worse next year. Possible but improbable.
The PK was bad last year. They said the same thing last offseason.

The new levels of QH and EP still haven’t led to success if you even agree that this is a new level.

The Canucks are already over the cap for next year. If we’re being realistic this predicted expectation they should be better is based on a lot of hope. They’re 8-9-7 in regulation under Tocchet.

A lot has to happen for the team to move up the western conference ladder. I sincerely hope the big moves they need happen but I don’t expect it. They’re painted into a corner.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I really like how having both Beauvillier and Mikheyev can potentially change the identity/look of this team. We were in desperate need of these types of players.

Reactions: Grantham

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I really like how having both Beauvillier and Mikheyev can potentially change the identity/look of this team. We were in desperate need of these types of players.
I'm starting to lean towards the idea of building your wings (aside from absolute star players, which I'd say Kuzmenko barely qualifies for) with a bunch of these < 5 mil guys that have speed and enough defensive responsibility to go in various areas of your lineup.

We still have too much invested into Mikheyev/Garland/Beauvillier but I think these are the right targets, and I never want to see a Boeser/Baertschi kind of player in the lineup ever again unless they're extremely cheap.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm starting to lean towards the idea of building your wings (aside from absolute star players, which I'd say Kuzmenko barely qualifies for) with a bunch of these < 5 mil guys that have speed and enough defensive responsibility to go in various areas of your lineup.

We still have too much invested into Mikheyev/Garland/Beauvillier but I think these are the right targets, and I never want to see a Boeser/Baertschi kind of player in the lineup ever again unless they're extremely cheap.

Yeah, guys like Mikheyev and Beauvillier are high-motor players who can fit well into the system of a winning team and if they're a bit overpaid, whatever. Boeser is a pure bad team scorer who would probably be in the press box if he played for TB or Boston.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Yes. They're in desperate need of two-way, responsible/reliable, all-around, high motor complement guys, even if you have to somewhat overpay for them.

I still have some patience for Boeser types (even Baertschi types, to some degree), personally (just because Boeser isn't working out, doesn't mean we should give up on the play style altogether, which to be honest, Kuzmenko more or less fits the category of as well).

The play style that I don't, have never, and never will have any patience for is the offense-only, tunnel-vision, low-IQ, chemistry-ruining, but big/fast/puck-rushing David Booth/Jake Virtanen types. I honestly don't even care if they're able to score 30 goals, they're just too frustrating to watch and too potentially disruptive to whatever line they're on-- it always feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Beauvillier has been a revelation since coming to the Canucks. Allvin clearly saw some untapped scoring potential in him to have him included in the Horvat deal.

He's a darting skater who hits the holes, and it's obvious from all the deflection goals that he has superior hand-eye coordination. And he fits like a glove on the top line with Petterson.

The problems are contract related. He's a UFA at the end of next season......and would probably be due a raise on his current $4.2m contract. Not sure where the Canucks will be able to find the money.

But if nothing else, he'll be a guy in demand at next year's TDL.
The knock on him has always been his ten cent brain, at times.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks were in desperate need of mid-level wingers making market value money?
No not "mid-level" wingers but versatile wingers with speed. And certainly in the case of Mikheyev a winger who has a good two-way game. Personally I think if they are going to move forward with Miller as center than it is Mik you want on his one wing.

Reactions: racerjoe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody talks about Boeser and Garland as trade chips, but Beauvillier is flying below the radar screen.

He's a UFA at the end of next season, and just not sure the Canucks have the means to re-sign him. Some team this off-season will be looking for depth scoring and be willing to take on his contract for just one more season.

And if things don't work out, the team that acquires him can still flip him at the TDL.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The PK was bad last year. They said the same thing last offseason.

The new levels of QH and EP still haven’t led to success if you even agree that this is a new level.

The Canucks are already over the cap for next year. If we’re being realistic this predicted expectation they should be better is based on a lot of hope. They’re 8-9-7 in regulation under Tocchet.

A lot has to happen for the team to move up the western conference ladder. I sincerely hope the big moves they need happen but I don’t expect it. They’re painted into a corner.
The PK under Tocchet was running at ~80% over his tenure which would have placed us middle of the league in that category. There was also the fact that we played less than 50% of our games with our starting goaltender over his run behind the bench. Unless you expect that Demko will be injured next season those two factors should allow for both a better PK and overall record, though that likely only rises us to the level of a bubble team.

EDIT: I'm aware that we had a similar PK bump last season under BB but he also got significantly better goaltending in his first season than Tocchet got in his.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As for Beauvillier, I think he brings more of what Tocchet wants than Boeser while bringing enough offense to play anywhere in the top-9. He's fighting for space with Garland and Mikheyev but could be a cap casualty as moving Boeser or Myers may prove impossible.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
As for Beauvillier, I think he brings more of what Tocchet wants than Boeser while bringing enough offense to play anywhere in the top-9. He's fighting for space with Garland and Mikheyev but could be a cap casualty as moving Boeser or Myers may prove impossible.

Yeah, I'd imagine they'd be trying to move Boeser both for cap and fit reasons this off-season, then I could see us moving Beauvillier at the TDL as I'm not sure we can afford to re-sign him, both due to cap and hopefully a push from the farm.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I'd like at least two of Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier moved in that order.

Beauvillier can go either way on, he's plays in kind of mold Tochhet values though is a bit inconsistent offensively which NYI fans have mentioned.

Wouldn't shop him but a playoff team looking for depth, or a team like MTL that pays a premium for French Canadian players would definitely move if too good a price was offered.

Reactions: MarkMM

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Any player, if the price is right.
would prefer to move player from positions of redundancy, but any player, if the return is right.

Wingers look like an obvious choice to start from; too many and too many of them are the same 2nd-3rd line tweeners.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'd like at least two of Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier moved in that order.

Beauvillier can go either way on, he's plays in kind of mold Tochhet values though is a bit inconsistent offensively which NYI fans have mentioned.

Wouldn't shop him but a playoff team looking for depth, or a team like MTL that pays a premium for French Canadian players would definitely move if too good a price was offered.

Of the 3, Garland should absolutely be the one who stays - he's the only one who can move the needle on his own in any way. The other two are complementary players who play near replacement level if they aren't paired with a star.

We saw multiple replacement level players shine when they played on the top two lines for the Canucks. Beauvillier and Boeser are eminently replaceable.

Meanwhile, Garland is neck and neck with Miller and Pettersson for 5v5 scoring over the past two seasons while mostly being deployed in the middle six.

He is the kind of unsung contributor that championship teams are built on.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If he performs even moderately well he should get more than that.

Why?

I mean, sure - if he scores 40 points next year maybe he ramps up to a 3rd round pick in value if we're out of it because of the way expiring contracts/value works.

But right now I'm not even convinced he's a positive-value asset. I'll point again to the Kasperi Kapanen situation as a very similar asset making $1 million less who was just on waivers.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Why?

I mean, sure - if he scores 40 points next year maybe he ramps up to a 3rd round pick in value if we're out of it because of the way expiring contracts/value works.

But right now I'm not even convinced he's a positive-value asset. I'll point again to the Kasperi Kapanen situation as a very similar asset making $1 million less who was just on waivers.

Yeah, will come down to whether he's performing, I guess I just have higher hopes that he'll maintain some of the chemistry he's shown early here. With KK he was playing pretty terribly leading up to the waivers and had an extra year, so with Beauvillier on an expiring contract that should make him attractive. And if we're auctioning him off then we might be open to retaining for the remainder of the season to boost that value, something Pittsburgh was likely not interested in doing.

Reactions: MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad