Player Discussion Anthony Beauvillier

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
25 yrs. old
Height 5'11
Weight 180

About a career .5 player. Scores as much as assists. Fairly average size with some nice hands and can skate, but is inconsistent and doesn't use his vision to succeed as he did in jrs . Has only played for the Isles.

An up-tick in the play-offs could suggest he has another gear?

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I belieb he's starting on the top line tonight

I'd love to see us bump his stats and flip him for another pick. There's gold in that second round and it's where to take a d-man.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The book on him by Stefan Rosner (NYI media) is that he plays exceptionally well for a couple of games, then you cant find him without a program for a couple of games.

Inconsistent.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Wonder if he likes to party, which would provide some context for down weeks and up weeks.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Wonder if he likes to party, which would provide some context for down weeks and up weeks.

He'll be sorely disappointed in Vancouver, vs NY then.

If consistency is his main issue, i feel it's a lot better than say, skating, intelligence, reaction time and may turn a corner down the road. Not holding out for it at 25 though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really liked the look of Beauvillier on the top line.....he's a darting skater with a nose for the net. And obviously has a lot more foot-speed than Boeser.

Still only 25, at the very least he's an asset the Canucks could dangle at the trade deadline next season.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
He'll be sorely disappointed in Vancouver, vs NY then.

The Isles are a suburban team. One of the biggest [secret, under the radar, ignored] problems with the Canucks over the past few decades is there are too many outside distractions for players in Vancouver. The Canucks have mostly had a fairly notorious partying crew with most rosters since the days of Quinn. Cup winners have leaned heavily toward teams with dead downtown cores or suburban areas where there is nothing else to do but play hockey or go home to the wife and kids.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Isles are a suburban team. One of the biggest [secret, under the radar, ignored] problems with the Canucks over the past few decades is there are too many outside distractions for players in Vancouver. The Canucks have mostly had a fairly notorious partying crew with most rosters since the days of Quinn. Cup winners have leaned heavily toward teams with dead downtown cores or suburban areas where there is nothing else to do but play hockey or go home to the wife and kids.
Apparently you've never been to New York.....For Islander players, the bright lights of Broadway and Times Square are only a subway ride away.....same with the Jersey Devils for that matter. And the Rangers play at Madison Square Garden in the heart of Manhattan, and they've morphed into one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

For players so inclined, New York and its six boroughs form 'the City that never sleeps'. By comparison, Vancouver is a village of the living dead.

Huhu

Nov 28, 2021
Interesting to know that Beauvillier is switching back to #72 on the Canucks as he was forced to switch to #18 on the Islanders after Lou "I hate high numbers" Lamoriello took over.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Good. Not sure if I can handle seeing a #18 on the ice
1675829661023.png

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much the epitome of a "middle-6 filler" player. He's not particularly terrible at anything, but he's not actually very good at anything either. Unfortunately, those aren't the sorts of players that teams like to acquire to load up for the deadline. They like guys with more defined roles. Nor do they like guys with overly expensive contracts that run for multiple years.

I don't dislike Beauvillier as a player per se. I just also don't like him. I feel like he adds to the problem we already have, of being loaded up on Wingers who aren't particularly good at anything and just sorta take up roster spots. Mikheyev - he's got standout speed and two-way acumen, hustle, etc. Kuzmenko - he's got some pretty unique chemistry with Pettersson and that's valuable.

The rest though? What do they do? What does Beauvillier do? You can't build a roster of filler. You need purpose built players to make it make sense.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Beauvillier is an example of a guy who was basically withering away in the Islanders suffocating defensive system that was developed by Barry Trotz, and has continued with Lane Lambert.

Over his NHL career the guy has been a 'money player' in the Stanley Cup playoffs, including a half dozen game-winning goals. In the 2020 playoffs he had nine goals and and five assists in 22 games as the Isles marched to the conference finals. And he followed that up next season with five goals and eight assists in 19 playoff games in 2021.

With teams in lockdown mode, it's not easy to score in the playoffs. Obviously for better or worse, the Canucks play a wide-open style, and if Beauvillier can find the holes, Petey will find him. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts scoring a lot more in Vancouver.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he reminds me of alex burrows. but faster and scores clutch goals hence the big ones he scores in the playoffs. has a nose for the net. maybe in vancouver he can unlock his true potential as a middle 6 guy with powerplay time and spot duty on the top line. with peteys playmaking ability and high iq. i cant see why not beauvillier cant score 25/30 goals.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
From what I've seen so far I don't know if he's the guy we want on Petey's wing long term. Not sure if Mikheyev is that guy either but he's definitely the better fit.

Maybe Beau with Miller and Pod, or on the 3rd line when we eventually/hopefully get some good 3rd liners for him to play with.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
he reminds me of alex burrows. but faster and scores clutch goals hence the big ones he scores in the playoffs. has a nose for the net. maybe in vancouver he can unlock his true potential as a middle 6 guy with powerplay time and spot duty on the top line. with peteys playmaking ability and high iq. i cant see why not beauvillier cant score 25/30 goals.

Beauviller was NYI's Burrows, he scored some massive goals including GWGs for them in the playoffs.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

i think burrows is a great comparison

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Beauviller was NYI's Burrows, he scored some massive goals including GWGs for them in the playoffs.

i think burrows is a great comparison

Alex Burrows was the best defensive winger in the NHL, and provided a ton of grit and PK ability. Beauvillier is not a good defensive player, doesn't PK. And I don't think he has the IQ of Burrows either.

Beauvillier is a lot closer to a Chris Higgins than an Alex Burrows.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Alex Burrows was the best defensive winger in the NHL, and provided a ton of grit and PK ability. Beauvillier is not a good defensive player, doesn't PK. And I don't think he has the IQ of Burrows either.

Thank you. Man it’s crazy how even the Canucks fanbase underrates Burrows

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thank you. Man it’s crazy how even the Canucks fanbase underrates Burrows

It really is insane. People act like he was some fun middle-6 agitator who got some points because of the Sedins.

Burrows was a Jere Lehtinen-level player who should have been a Selke finalist every year but didn't get the votes because there was a shift away from voting for wingers for that award and because of vote splitting with Kesler. He was an absolutely phenomenal player.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022

Alex Burrows at 25 years old had 9 points in the NHL.

Beauvillier is on a far greater career trajectory, and when I say Burrows, I mean his heart and impact that he left on his previous team. Burrows scored some huge timely goals for the Canucks which is what Beauviller did for the Islanders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad