Movies: Ant Man & The Wasp

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Saw it earlier today and thought it was just okay. The acting was great, but the story and writing was quite dry and seemed to jump around all over the place without any real cohesion.

I am also having trouble with a lack of a memorable villain in the Marvel universe. Sure Thanos wants to kill half of the galaxy, but he does it with good intention of his heart albeit psychotic. Same thing happened with Ghost (though she is an awesome character concept) in this film, she's not really a bad guy, but was put in a bad guy position and those movies are so vanilla they're boring and forgettable. Spiderman's Vulture is the villain off the top of my head who actually is a bad guy and someone you have no care about it until the end (as well as Ronan). All the others have been meh at best.

IMO Vulture was a guy that I felt for. Had his living taken away from him and was trying to stick it to the system and those that trample on the little guys.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Saw it earlier today and thought it was just okay. The acting was great, but the story and writing was quite dry and seemed to jump around all over the place without any real cohesion.

I am also having trouble with a lack of a memorable villain in the Marvel universe. Sure Thanos wants to kill half of the galaxy, but he does it with good intention of his heart albeit psychotic. Same thing happened with Ghost (though she is an awesome character concept) in this film, she's not really a bad guy, but was put in a bad guy position and those movies are so vanilla they're boring and forgettable. Spiderman's Vulture is the villain off the top of my head who actually is a bad guy and someone you have no care about it until the end (as well as Ronan). All the others have been meh at best.
I thought Ego was ok

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
IMO Vulture was a guy that I felt for. Had his living taken away from him and was trying to stick it to the system and those that trample on the little guys.

Had his living taken away by Stark nonetheless.

Love Keaton’s Vulture. I was legit rooting for him in Homecoming....the whole third act I was thinking, “Peter just chill on this guy. He not a super villain”

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So how good was this movie compared to the original and recent movies like Infinity War, BP and Ragnarok?

Not as good as the original or nearly as good as the recent run of Marvel flicks.

They went rapid fire with the jokes and the overwhelming majority of them landed with a thud, and most of the cool size effects were shown in the trailer. I'd probably give it a 5-6 out of 10 as a superhero popcorn flick.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Not as good as the original or nearly as good as the recent run of Marvel flicks.

They went rapid fire with the jokes and the overwhelming majority of them landed with a thud, and most of the cool size effects were shown in the trailer. I'd probably give it a 5-6 out of 10 as a superhero popcorn flick.

Most of their jokes landed with a thud? Strongly disagree here.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

To each their own, the packed theater I was in was laughing all the time and people in this thread seem to have liked it for the most part.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought the jokes were a bit off in this film, not that they were unfunny like The Last Jedi's pure rubbish of dialogue, but didn't have the chemistry of other Marvel films.

I thought Ego was ok
I still liked GOTGII more than the average person (my favourite series), I suggest that Ego showed his mad-man side a lot more compared to a lot of other Marvel movies, but I think it was portrayed poorly (not acting, but more in terms of directing).

Marvel might be trying to make this villains too "kid-friendly"...because if we compare them to Batman, we already know the weaknesses and strengths to Batman and Bruce Wayne. We already know what type of character Bruce is and how he invented Batman persona. Protagonists' tend to get the most screen time anyway which is why Marvel needs to start focusing on upping their villain's in terms of amazing actors and visions'. A lot of them have been one-off kill characters which provide little to no sustenance in the main universe, hell Heath Ledger's Joker was a one-off kill for just one movie, but it was so memorable.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Wasn't overly impressed with this one

Felt like a superhero movie for kids

The Wasp vs Ghost fight scenes were the only highlight for me

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Got some laughes, was fun to watch so I'd say it did its job. It wasn't really ever set out to be a next level comicbook movie

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wasn't overly impressed with this one

Felt like a superhero movie for kids

The Wasp vs Ghost fight scenes were the only highlight for me

I liked it

problem I think is that there was not real big baddy

Ghost was a victim and the other guy was comic relief

and in these movies we need a big baddie

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I liked it

problem I think is that there was not real big baddy

Ghost was a victim and the other guy was comic relief

and in these movies we need a big baddie

I don't think so. I mean not even all comic book issues featured a "big baddie". Ant-Man is the kind of franchise that doesnt' need a big baddie to work.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I thought the jokes were a bit off in this film, not that they were unfunny like The Last Jedi's pure rubbish of dialogue, but didn't have the chemistry of other Marvel films.

I still liked GOTGII more than the average person (my favourite series), I suggest that Ego showed his mad-man side a lot more compared to a lot of other Marvel movies, but I think it was portrayed poorly (not acting, but more in terms of directing).

Marvel might be trying to make this villains too "kid-friendly"...because if we compare them to Batman, we already know the weaknesses and strengths to Batman and Bruce Wayne. We already know what type of character Bruce is and how he invented Batman persona. Protagonists' tend to get the most screen time anyway which is why Marvel needs to start focusing on upping their villain's in terms of amazing actors and visions'. A lot of them have been one-off kill characters which provide little to no sustenance in the main universe, hell Heath Ledger's Joker was a one-off kill for just one movie, but it was so memorable.
TBF I don't think Heath Ledger's joker was supposed to be a one-off.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He doesn't need a big baddie when he's gearing up for the biggest baddie of them all next movie.

I know that--I was refering to some of the problems people had with the movie--while Ghost was billed as the big baddie--it was obvious there was more to that story then that and Walter was his usual comic relief

for movies like this--we sometimes think a big baddie is always needed

take a movie like Star Trek: The Voyage Home--most people think that is one of the best Star Trek movies-but there is not real big baddie in that as well

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX

I agree with all of this. Predictable jokes, most of the cool scenes were in the trailers, boring story. Couldn't stop rolling my eyes at how corny some of the scenes were. I'm a notoriously harsh critic, so I'm glad that I wasn't the only one to dislike this movie. The first one was great. Maybe it was my high expectations making it seem worse than it really was.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I read somewhere that they didn’t have the freedom to improvise as much in this film and it shows.

The plot was too linear, Goggins was pointless, and it didn’t seem as fresh as the first one.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I read somewhere that they didn’t have the freedom to improvise as much in this film and it shows.

The plot was too linear, Goggins was pointless, and it didn’t seem as fresh as the first one.
Having Goggins in your movie and not letting him *be* Goggins should be punishable by law. This happened in that Tomb Raider movie too.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Loved it!

"This isn't a disguise. We look like ourselves at a baseball game"

To be honest though, Ghost is about as forgettable a Marvel villain as we have had in a long time....she's barely a villain though.

I think your spoiler'd quote was a direct shot/wink at Civil War, when Cap and Widow go "undercover." Definitely enjoyed that one.

To be fair, she's not the first Marvel character that has been forced to do bad things to their condition/ability/powers/whatever. I think her situation was explained in a reasonable manner.

I haven't watched all the Youtube reviews of this but I have to agree with John Campea, that not all Marvel movies have to be about saving the world.

To the bolded stuff, I was a big fan of the more contained story, and I also liked that the main "villain" in the movie was essentially the situation itself, i.e. the initial impetus that sets things in motion is they're trying to save someone, not stop someone (which is usually how those movies go), so I thought it was a refreshing twist in that sense.

And yes, I finally got around to seeing this, hence the bump up. Wish I had caught it in the theaters, for some reason I wasn't too pumped to see it (even though I enjoyed the first). Really enjoyed it though, one of the better Marvel films overall, probably one of the ones with the most "heart" to it. It was nice to see, well... people being nice? Scott's on great terms with his ex and her new partner, the FBI agent wasn't a dick (always enjoy Randall Park), Foster and Ghost don't go after the kid. I thought it was great they still had compelling stakes without the events being mainly driven by asshole decisions, for lack of a better term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad