Post-Game Talk: Another super entertaining game!

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Hopefully lines are

Tatar- Z- Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen- Nyquist
Larkin- helm- AA
Abby- glenny- ott

Hate that third line. They can't slow it down, none of them are great passers, and I think we need three scoring lines or something.

Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Helm-Nyquist
Larkin-Nielsen-Abdelkader (make sure those guys aren't pushed around)
AA-Glendening-Sheahan
Ott/Miller

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
DeKeyser has had his minutes cut these last 8 games or so. Only Jensen got fewer than him today.

Games like this make me miss Abdelkader and Helm. We got pushed around far too much for my liking.

Great to see.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Hate that third line. They can't slow it down, none of them are great passers, and I think we need three scoring lines or something.

Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Helm-Nyquist
Larkin-Nielsen-Abdelkader (make sure those guys aren't pushed around)
AA-Glendening-Sheahan
Ott/Miller

I liked the third of AA-helm-Larkin because I want to see this team play fast I want them to just open it up and almost cheat the game. Let's attack, we can't defend but we are fast so why not play to our strengths

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hopefully lines are

Tatar- Z- Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen- Nyquist
Larkin- helm- AA
Abby- glenny- ott

It's going to be:

Tatar-Z-Abby
Vanek-Nielsen-Helm
Nyquist-Larkin-AA/Mantha/Glenny/Sheahan
Jurco/Ott-Glenny/Ott-Miller

No way Blash doesn't try to destroy any chemistry by forcing his grinder into the top lines.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Agreed with the consensus that it was an entertaining game, even though I was hoping for a different result. Simply put we don't have enough talent to compete right now, put at least they played hard today and that's commendable. That said it's still tough to watch as this is by far the worst Wings team since I've been a fan (though not surprising since I started watching Detroit in 1991).

Also I really wished management would have started a proper rebuild by now as all of our players are either 1) Way past their prime, 2) Right yet ready for prime time, or 3) Just not very good.

P.S. Smith is SOOO BAD.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am 100% fine with that loss. Exciting game, Mantha was a beast, and we're getting closer to that primo draft pick
Spot on. Not only all of that, but Matthews and Marner were clearly difference makers out there, to show what high draft picks can do when they pan out. Really, it was almost a perfect game for a team in need of a rebuild.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Spot on. Not only all of that, but Matthews and Marner were clearly difference makers out there, to show what high draft picks can do when they pan out. Really, it was almost a perfect game for a team in need of a rebuild.
Mantha was probably the best player on the ice.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Leafs fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say you guys have a gem in Mantha. He is a BEAST. With him and Larkin moving forward you guys have two great core pieces moving forward.

You have a beast in Matthews he is a good player and something special for sure.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Having really good wingers are definitely key to being a great team. Wingers are rarely superstars, let alone on a consistent basis and are generally very flawed. You look at Alexander Ovechkin, even at his best, he had a top tier centre in Nicklas Backstrom who ran the offense and was the guy defensively. Backstrom is one of the most underrated players in the world.

I think we have a number 1 winger in Anthony Mantha. I think we have complimentary wingers in Evgeni Svechnikov, Tomas Tatar/Gus Nyquist, etc.

Dylan Larkin's not a great passer, nor is he much on the PP. His defensive game has left a lot to hope for too. I think he finds that defensive game, and becomes a top American player. Almost want to say a smaller Jeff Carter with some different attributes. To be elite, I think we need another player at Larkin's level in 3-4 years, or a great C. Kind of reminds me a tad of Bergeron/Krejci during their first run.

Still see Petr Mrazek as our guy. We absolutely need that impact trade on the backend.

Petr Mrazek
Dylan Larkin
Anthony Mantha

is a really good start. All NHL ready. I wish we could trade our first rounder for Jacob Trouba and take a shot at him continuing to develop to the next level. Haven't paid too much attention but I'm pretty certain this is a weak draft year.

I agree with all of this. I hope Larkin is just going through some growing pains (re: Sophomore Slump). I think another summer of getting stronger will do him wonders. I hope he's just finding his way but his hockey sense doesn't seem as strong as you would like for a center.

As hard as it has been to watch this team this year I can't help but continue to watch it. It sucks but I hope we continue to struggle and secure a good pick. We may have to do this for a couple years unless we really hit a home run with a pick. If we continue this way I hope we Sell Sell Sell at the deadline. I'm not sure what teams will be doing with the impending expansion draft but I would think Vanek can fetch a decent pick...maybe late 1st or 2nd. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we moved Sheahan and one of Abdelkader/Helm or Nyquist/Tatar for picks. Load em' up.

Mantha has been refreshing to watch, he uses his reach so well and his shot is world class. His first goal was ridiculously well placed and he was patient setting up the screen.

I have to agree with the other posters that have said they have seen enough of Jensen. I like his mobility but that's all he really seems to have going for him. Coreau is alright, I don't see him as anything but a backup. He reminds me of a poor mans bishop. He relies far too much on his size and it drives me nuts that he is down on his knees and hugging the posts when the play is down low. He doesn't get post to post very quickly. I think he is just a big backup.

Dekeyser has been bad this season. He seems so slow and hesitant on everything he does. Sheahan continues to get powerplay minutes which is mind boggling. AA while isn't exactly a defensive stalwart pushes the pace. I don't get why he isn't getting minutes when veterans (Tatar) continue to make the same mistakes he does.

/rant

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Are people really concerned about Mantha's defense? He was integral to one of the goals against tonight. Oh dear. :sarcasm:

I'm much more worried about the defensive performance of players who are supposed to be good at defense at this point.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Are people really concerned about Mantha's defense? He was integral to one of the goals against tonight. Oh dear. :sarcasm:

I'm much more worried about the defensive performance of players who are supposed to be good at defense at this point.

I see the sarcasm face but I think he's actually been pretty good on the back check. He's also very good at carrying the puck out of our zone which should be considered when talking about defensive abilities. He's not going to be a PKer but he's better than advertised I believe. He's a goal scoring winger we need to stop trying to make players something they are not.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
AA can certainly sit for a game or two. Larkin too. Sheahan. I mean, we have options.

You want the team's leading goal scorer to sit? Why? Because he looks lost playing an unidentifiable role between an unskilled grinder and an alleged 3rd line defensive center with alleged offensive upside who is defensively questionable while being offensively inept?

I don't mean to imply that Larkin has been great lately or anything, but its not like he's being put in a position to play his game, let alone succeed in any role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad