Post-Game Talk: Another super entertaining game!

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I'm pissed Jared Coreau got this start, win or lose today. That's a shot at Petr Mrazek who has been really good for four years for a goalie with 3 games experience with like .905%. Jared Coreau was pretty bad tonight. Made one big stop in overtime, that's about it.

While I agree that starting Coreau this game was inappropriate (unless there was a legitimate reason), he was by no means bad. The Leafs scored three straight goals on blown coverage by the Wings that no goalie would've had a good chance on.

The OT goal was weak, but it never should've gotten to that point.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Seems like keeping Mantha was the right move.

Most posters here would have traded Mantha in a package for Phaenuf or Myers.

Holland is obviously far from perfect but i'm happy he seems to keep an eye on the future.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Holland is obviously far from perfect but i'm happy he seems to keep an eye on the future.

While true, it's hard to give credit for not making a trade when he never makes a trade. By standing pat in every big trade, he's assured to get some right. And some wrong.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
While true, it's hard to give credit for not making a trade when he never makes a trade. By standing pat in every big trade, he's assured to get some right. And some wrong.

I think he doesn't make trades because he sees a lot of potential in the players he drafts. He's been particularly vocal in the past about needing something really big back to trade Mantha.

Obviously he's not always right and sometimes players don't pan out in the NHL and should have been traded when they had more value, but I think it's fair to give him credit when he's willing to ride the ups and downs of a prospect (like Mantha) and it does work out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I'd have to go back through those trade threads, but I feel like that was certainly the minority and not a majority opinion.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'd have to go back through those trade threads, but I feel like that was certainly the minority and not a majority opinion.

Even so, after Mantha broke his leg he was quite underwhelming, granted he was extremely young and needed time to adjust. This entire board is knee jerk reaction, I'm not going to hang it over someone that a player looks great right now but wanted to trade them when they didn't look great. I'm sure a ton of people would've laughed in the face of someone that wanted to trade Nyquist during his first two seasons, now people would give him away.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even so, after Mantha broke his leg he was quite underwhelming, granted he was extremely young and needed time to adjust. This entire board is knee jerk reaction, I'm not going to hang it over someone that a player looks great right now but wanted to trade them when they didn't look great. I'm sure a ton of people would've laughed in the face of someone that wanted to trade Nyquist during his first two seasons, now people would give him away.

Also if we weren't going on 16 years since the last time we drafted a top 4 defenseman people wouldn't be so desperate to trade for one.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Also if we weren't going on 16 years since the last time we drafted a top 4 defenseman people wouldn't be so desperate to trade for one.

Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson both peaked as top four defenseman. The way Xavier Ouellet has been developing this season, I think he has a legit shot of being a second pairing guy on a full-time basis. He might be one of those players that's better in the NHL than the AHL.

Thread is about Mantha. We have holes other than our D. One of those is scoring. We seem to have found a legit top-tier scoring winger. Can we just be happy for a second?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson both peaked as top four defenseman. The way Xavier Ouellet has been developing this season, I think he has a legit shot of being a second pairing guy on a full-time basis. He might be one of those players that's better in the NHL than the AHL.

Thread is about Mantha. We have holes other than our D. One of those is scoring. We seem to have found a legit top-tier scoring winger. Can we just be happy for a second?

I like Mantha a lot. I wasn't the one that brought up the old trade talks.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014

While Mantha has looked good this season, not quite ready to anoint him the future superstar of the franchise. We've had plenty of those one season wonders. Blashill has managed to pretty much kill the potential in all the young players he's coached with the Red Wings.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
While Mantha has looked good this season, not quite ready to anoint him the future superstar of the franchise. We've had plenty of those one season wonders. Blashill has managed to pretty much kill the potential in all the young players he's coached with the Red Wings.

Yeah that's one thing i'm worried about. Blashill has made pretty much everyone on the team look worse the longer they are with him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wasn't directed entirely at you.

All good. Mantha should be a big part of this team moving forward. Need to find a really good playmaker (ideally a center) to play with him after Z moves on. Not sure Larkin is going to be that kinda guy. This Necas kid in this draft might be a good option.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

Having really good wingers are definitely key to being a great team. Wingers are rarely superstars, let alone on a consistent basis and are generally very flawed. You look at Alexander Ovechkin, even at his best, he had a top tier centre in Nicklas Backstrom who ran the offense and was the guy defensively. Backstrom is one of the most underrated players in the world.

I think we have a number 1 winger in Anthony Mantha. I think we have complimentary wingers in Evgeni Svechnikov, Tomas Tatar/Gus Nyquist, etc.

All good. Mantha should be a big part of this team moving forward. Need to find a really good playmaker (ideally a center) to play with him after Z moves on. Not sure Larkin is going to be that kinda guy. This Necas kid in this draft might be a good option.

Dylan Larkin's not a great passer, nor is he much on the PP. His defensive game has left a lot to hope for too. I think he finds that defensive game, and becomes a top American player. Almost want to say a smaller Jeff Carter with some different attributes. To be elite, I think we need another player at Larkin's level in 3-4 years, or a great C. Kind of reminds me a tad of Bergeron/Krejci during their first run.

Still see Petr Mrazek as our guy. We absolutely need that impact trade on the backend.

Petr Mrazek
Dylan Larkin
Anthony Mantha

is a really good start. All NHL ready. I wish we could trade our first rounder for Jacob Trouba and take a shot at him continuing to develop to the next level. Haven't paid too much attention but I'm pretty certain this is a weak draft year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Absolutely false. Why do people make things up that are blatantly untrue?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Good loss. Glad it wasn't a sloppy outdoor game.
Gonna be hard to catch COL and ARI but one of nico, Nolan, and Tim seems very possible.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
DeKeyser has had his minutes cut these last 8 games or so. Only Jensen got fewer than him today.

Games like this make me miss Abdelkader and Helm. We got pushed around far too much for my liking.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
We just really need puck movers in the lineup. I truly do believe we have enough speed and skill up front and that we should just open things up and play aggressive attack attack attack, even cheat the game at times. If we aren't gonna make a trade on D the core needs to be...

DD- Green
Kronwall-smith
Oullette/E- sproul

Have our best puck movers and skaters out there and literally take chances all damn game!! This is my theory and I'm just so bored of playing things safe. Let these young kids play and let's play run and gun it can't hurt

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Mantha has a good stretch and people are clamoring to praise Holland for not trading him...lol

Management called him spare parts less than a year ago.

Hopefully he keeps producing.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
DeKeyser has had his minutes cut these last 8 games or so. Only Jensen got fewer than him today.

Games like this make me miss Abdelkader and Helm. We got pushed around far too much for my liking.

Abdelkader and Helm in AA and Mantha out? Because it's not going to be Miller or Ott, it seems.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Hopefully lines are

Tatar- Z- Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen- Nyquist
Larkin- helm- AA
Abby- glenny- ott

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad