Post-Game Talk: Another super entertaining game!

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Was at the game.

Did not expect a comeback of any kind especially how we were playing that third period. Definitely lost it when we tied it up and wished we wouldve found a way to win.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Coreau ****ed himself on that OT Matthews goal. That was saveable. It blooped in. That seems to be his weak side his glove. 3 of their 5 goals went in on that side like they knew it too.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Remember that time when we hoped Zetterberg would be on the 3rd line and others would start to take over? Yeah me too.

No good will come from riding Coreau. I guess everyone is looking for that miracle goalie run as we've seen past years, but let's just play Mrazek thank you.

Btw, Mantha starting to look really great. Very close to dominating levels. I believe it's mostly the middle-agers letting the team down. Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser, Sheahan these guys need to be a lot better as a group, and Abdelkader & Helm need to be healthy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Coreaus play so far has been fine. Looking like a decent backup at least. This game was horrendous for him though. If he plays above average he's fine again

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
While Mantha has looked good this season, not quite ready to anoint him the future superstar of the franchise. We've had plenty of those one season wonders. Blashill has managed to pretty much kill the potential in all the young players he's coached with the Red Wings.
Yes. It happened with Nyquist, AA, Mrazek, Larkin to different degrees. People were calling,
Mrazek for vezina calibra goalie, he can't earn the starting job now.

Hopefully lines are

Tatar- Z- Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen- Nyquist
Larkin- helm- AA
Abby- glenny- ott

Why Tatar on 1 st line?

I wold try something like this

Larkin Z Nyquist
Vanek Nielsen Mantha
Tatar helm Abby
AA Glenny Ott

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yes. It happened with Nyquist, AA, Mrazek, Larkin to different degrees. People were calling,

Why Tatar on 1 st line?

Larkin Z Nyquist
Vanek Nielsen Mantha
Tatar helm Abby
AA Glenny Ott

Why would you split up Mantha and Z? If you don't like Tatar on that line maybe...

Larkin-Z-Mantha
Vanek-Helm-Nyquist
AA-Nielsen- Abby
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

If the Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco Line found the chemistry the once had they would be a matchup nightmare for 4th lines and bottom pairing d. Vanek-helm-nyquist was great at the start of season. I like that third line cause it can shelter AA, he gets two reliable defensive players with him and I think the speed with Nielsen will help while Abby will help with board battles

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Why Tatar on 1 st line?

Larkin Z Nyquist
Vanek Nielsen Mantha
Tatar helm Abby
AA Glenny Ott

do not split up mantha and Z

nyquist-zetts-mantha
larkin-nielsen-vanek
tatar-helm-abby
ott-sheahan-AA

miller, glenny, jurco all sit

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Zetterberg is quietly on a 6 game point streak alongside mantha

8pts in 6 games in that span

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can't expect your goalie to stop everything with no defensive coverage. Blashill gets more credit for getting the team to OT when his poor lineup decisions cost us the game.
I'll agree that the defense did him no favors, but Coreau totally flaked on not covering the post on two of the goals.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think he doesn't make trades because he sees a lot of potential in the players he drafts. He's been particularly vocal in the past about needing something really big back to trade Mantha.

Obviously he's not always right and sometimes players don't pan out in the NHL and should have been traded when they had more value, but I think it's fair to give him credit when he's willing to ride the ups and downs of a prospect (like Mantha) and it does work out.
I think he doesn't make trades because the current modus operandi is to be extremely conservative, and try to preserve the streak at all costs.

They had been publicly badmouthing Mantha not that long ago, so it's not like he has been a crown jewel of prospects that Holland made known to all would never be on the trading block. I think it's more that they weren't gonna trade anybody, regardless of stock or performance, and Mantha has been a pleasant surprise.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
After rewatching Mantha's first goal I just have to laugh at tatar. When he drives the net on that play, not only does he fail to do so (he easily gets pushed to the side, and I mean EASILY), he ****ing falls on his ass so even if a rebound went directly to him he wouldn't have been able to get it. What a weak player.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
After rewatching Mantha's first goal I just have to laugh at tatar. When he drives the net on that play, not only does he fail to do so (he easily gets pushed to the side, and I mean EASILY), he ****ing falls on his ass so even if a rebound went directly to him he wouldn't have been able to get it. What a weak player.

I personally think Tatar has played much better of late, and is looking like an effective player. The offensive production is slowly picking up, and he is complementing Mantha and Zetterberg well on that line. Tatar will be fine in the long run. He's not going to be the consistent 30 goal scorer, but he's good for ~20 goals and ~50 points every year, which is fine.

Nyquist on the other hand... :facepalm: What a mess that guy is. He literally is useless when he's not scoring. 4 goals halfway through the season is completely unacceptable from a "scoring winger". Funny how you mention Tatar as being weak on the puck, when Nyquist literally gets out muscled every single time. The guy can't win a battle to save his life.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

nyquist-zetts-mantha
larkin-nielsen-vanek
tatar-helm-abby
ott-sheahan-AA

As great as Mantha is doing now, I think we need to get the team going. The reason why Z and Tatar looked better of late is because Mantha is doing good. We need more players to get going.
Nyquist Larkin with Z worked well before. Mantha would get 2nd line going and I think we would have better players. We have nothing to lose. We struggle to win games anyhow.

I personally think Tatar has played much better of late, and is looking like an effective player. The offensive production is slowly picking up, and he is complementing Mantha and Zetterberg well on that line. Tatar will be fine in the long run. He's not going to be the consistent 30 goal scorer, but he's good for ~20 goals and ~50 points every year, which is fine.

Nyquist on the other hand... :facepalm: What a mess that guy is. He literally is useless when he's not scoring. 4 goals halfway through the season is completely unacceptable from a "scoring winger". Funny how you mention Tatar as being weak on the puck, when Nyquist literally gets out muscled every single time. The guy can't win a battle to save his life.

Tatar looked better because of Mantha. Mantha create space. I love his game in O zone. In D zone though there are things that had to be iron out.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Did you give him credit for screening Andersen on the E goal or did you just laugh that one off as well? What about hustling to a lazy JVR being instrumental to the Larkin goal?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Nyquist on the other hand... :facepalm: What a mess that guy is. He literally is useless when he's not scoring. 4 goals halfway through the season is completely unacceptable from a "scoring winger". Funny how you mention Tatar as being weak on the puck, when Nyquist literally gets out muscled every single time. The guy can't win a battle to save his life.

I feel bad for him. I have to wonder how much (like Sheahan) his confidence is being effected by the losses and personal lack of scoring touch. They're calm in front of the camera during interviews but I feel this sadness underlying. Seems to have lost the fire we saw the 1st weeks of the season. This is the first time he's faced such adversity he's simply got to fight through it.

Tatar IMO is a joke on that top line. If Mantha and Z are the drink and the straw then Tatar is the wet napkin stuck to the bottom.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Yeah, now and into the future seems like Tatar and Nyquist top out as complementary wingers. Which is why I'd trade Nyquist before Tatar at this point. Nyquist's hit is almost 5M if I recall and with the season they've both had, I think Tatar can be signed for much cheaper this offseason. Just comparing the players I prefer Nyquist but I'd rather have Tatar at 3.5M-4M than Nyquist at 4.75M.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
As great as Mantha is doing now, I think we need to get the team going. The reason why Z and Tatar looked better of late is because Mantha is doing good. We need more players to get going.
Nyquist Larkin with Z worked well before. Mantha would get 2nd line going and I think we would have better players. We have nothing to lose. We struggle to win games anyhow.

Tatar looked better because of Mantha. Mantha create space. I love his game in O zone. In D zone though there are things that had to be iron out.

I think getting nyquist going is more important to be honest as he creates more overall offence than tatar does or can

you cant split Zetts up from mantha plus it gives each line a bit of size, with some speed and a responsible two-way centre

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

nyquist-zetts-mantha
larkin-nielsen-vanek
tatar-helm-abby
ott-sheahan-AA

There is zero reason to keep Sheahan in the line up. He is useless.

I think getting nyquist going is more important to be honest as he creates more overall offence than tatar does or can

you cant split Zetts up from mantha plus it gives each line a bit of size, with some speed and a responsible two-way centre

I would double shift Mantha. But probably make sure he gets O zone min. He should play the mario Lemieux min. Puck in the offensive zone, Mantha on, puck in defensive zone Mantha off the ice.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, those 2nd most assists on the team are completely worthless when he's not scoring.

Both guys have been less than stellar. Why you prop one up and put the other down is beyond me. Especially when Tatar has been completely MIA until like a week ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad