GDT: Another One? Devils @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
The issue with Fiddler, again, is usage. Should not be used in a checking role, should not be getting more than 8-10 minutes a night. He should be getting 2nd unit PK duty with sparing ES shifts.

4 of 9 December games he's gotten +14 minutes, completely ridiculous for a guy like him.

Anyone else think Shero could have done a better job filling out the roster to prevent that? I was as pumped as anyone for the Hall/Larsson trade and some of the other moves he's made like Palmieri, but there are glaring holes in the roster it seems like he didn't even try to address after making the Hall move.

The obvious one is the defense. Reliable defenders aren't easy to find for cheap but everyone could see how much of a weakness it was coming into the season. Why not try to pick up a depth option (unless you count Gormley)? If you think the D is bad now think about how it would look after an injury or two. I will admit though that we have a glut of bottom pairing D and the real need is for a top 4 (or two). Not much was available this summer unless you trust a guy like Russell as a stop gap.

The other big one is not signing an insurance policy for 3C and completely banking on an unproven rookie. It's what's lead to dressing guys like Josefson and Kalinin as 3rd liners. I still have hope for Zacha (even though BPA was a defenseman but that's another story) and thought he flashed solid potential early in the year but he's been overmatched lately. Why not pick up a Peter Holland type who was available since the summer basically for free? Not that a guy like Holland is going to make or break the season obviously but depth like that is good to have so you don't have to bank on everything going 100% right to have a successful season. You don't hand young guys ice time, you make them earn it (like they have done with Wood/Lappin). If Zacha shows he belongs consistently then it's easy to scratch a spare part like Holland or Parenteau.

Not trying to be too negative, overall I think Shero has done a good job and I realize Rome wasn't built in a day. It's really tough to rebuild without bottoming out unless you get lucky on a few draft picks but as a fan I'd never actively root for a tank job. I just hope we can surround Cory and Hall with a contender while they're still top level players. /rant

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anyone else think Shero could have done a better job filling out the roster to prevent that? I was as pumped as anyone for the Hall/Larsson trade and some of the other moves he's made like Palmieri, but there are glaring holes in the roster it seems like he didn't even try to address after making the Hall move.

The obvious one is the defense. Reliable defenders aren't easy to find for cheap but everyone could see how much of a weakness it was coming into the season. Why not try to pick up a depth option (unless you count Gormley)? If you think the D is bad now think about how it would look after an injury or two. I will admit though that we have a glut of bottom pairing D and the real need is for a top 4 (or two). Not much was available this summer unless you trust a guy like Russell as a stop gap.

The other big one is not signing an insurance policy for 3C and completely banking on an unproven rookie. It's what's lead to dressing guys like Josefson and Kalinin as 3rd liners. I still have hope for Zacha (even though BPA was a defenseman but that's another story) and thought he flashed solid potential early in the year but he's been overmatched lately. Why not pick up a Peter Holland type who was available since the summer basically for free? Not that a guy like Holland is going to make or break the season obviously but depth like that is good to have so you don't have to bank on everything going 100% right to have a successful season. You don't hand young guys ice time, you make them earn it (like they have done with Wood/Lappin). If Zacha shows he belongs consistently then it's easy to scratch a spare part like Holland or Parenteau.

Not trying to be too negative, overall I think Shero has done a good job and I realize Rome wasn't built in a day. It's really tough to rebuild without bottoming out unless you get lucky on a few draft picks but as a fan I'd never actively root for a tank job. I just hope we can surround Cory and Hall with a contender while they're still top level players. /rant

Fiddler was good last year though, he scored 22 points in 82 games and 29 points in 80 games the year before that. If your 4th line center can score anything close to that, you're doing pretty good.

The problem is that Fiddler's days of chipping in more than just literally a few points are probably over and ended this season. It's now becoming apparent at this stage, but it wasn't such a sure bet to happen when wer. signed him.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Granted Fiddler hasn't scored as much as we liked but if you look at his career numbers it's not that surprising. He's older and not playing on as good of an offensive team. It would be nice if he could chip in a little more though.

Our top 6 and Cory just need to be better. Our D is horrible too so I can't really blame them. They haven't helped Cory much.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

The problem with this is the team is still rebuilding. Right now, we're basically just buying time to see what we have from 2014-onwards as far as the draft goes. We know how poor the drafting in between lockouts.

If Shero truly upgraded the team via free agency, he would likely have to sign an older player to a contract with either too much term or too much AAV. A contract that wouldn't hurt us now, but would likely do so when this team needs to re-up kids or actually wants to compete. Rolston's deal being a perfect example. He was a pretty solid player for the first few years but then he fell off a cliff.

Even if they did that, then for what purpose? To try to stay in a consistent bubble of mediocrity? We would need to add 3/4 players to be a cup contender, in all honesty. I'd rather add fillers and then add the guys that truly upgrade the team when the kids are ready to make a difference. Otherwise, we'd just see the mediocrity that we saw in the last few years under Lou.

I don't disagree with acquiring Peter Holland, but I would have to imagine the staff figured they're better off just using JJ/Fiddler to fill in at 3C when needed then giving up assets and having Holland take up a roster spot, salary, and give up assets to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig