GDT: Another One? Devils @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It's a fact. Not my fault that the fact is not a favorable one.

The fact is that your expectations aren't realistic. You were going on and on about the lack of heart and compete level in our previous 5 loses, were you not? You were also saying that losing with a fight was one thing but losing with a lack of fight wasn't acceptable, right? We were 90 seconds away from getting 2 pts from one of the best teams in the league, from a team who tore us a new one not even a week ago, yet it's still not good enough.

So the bottom line is that if we don't win, you're pissed, regardless of what happend in that 60+ minutes span. We can win a game where we got outplayed up and down the ice, and you'll be happy, correct?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Well, Larsson isn't coming back and the team needs a culture change.

I don't know if you were aware of this trade last summer but we landed a guy by the name of Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and one might say that it was a culture changing trade.

I'll bite... who would you like Shero to acquire for Greene or Henrique, I'm really curious.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The fact is that your expectations aren't realistic. You were going on and on about the lack of heart and compete level in our previous 5 loses, were you not? You were also saying that losing with a fight was one thing but losing with a lack of fight wasn't acceptable, right? We were 90 seconds away from getting 2 pts from one of the best teams in the league, from a team who tore us a new one not even a week ago, yet it's still not good enough.

So the bottom line is that if we don't win, you're pissed, regardless of what happend in that 60+ minutes span. We can win a game where we got outplayed up and down the ice, and you'll be happy, correct?

We played better last night. In isolation, it is a fine game. In context of the proceeding games, it's a moral victory when an actual victory was needed. Be interesting to see if this loss motivates the team or makes them feel hard-done-by again. As for being "pissed," I'm mainly done feeling emotions about this team. This team really doesn't deserve them from me. I'm apathetic and it's only December. Says a lot about how the year has gone. I didn't get apathetic until the last few games last year, by way of comparison.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I don't know if you were aware of this trade last summer but we landed a guy by the name of Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson and one might say that it was a culture changing trade.

I'll bite... who would you like Shero to acquire for Greene or Henrique, I'm really curious.

No offense but I can't stand when people ask that type of question. Do you know who is available? Me neither. I could just blurt out names but that makes no sense not knowing who or what (i.e. draft picks) might be made available by other GMs.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
We played better last night. In isolation, it is a fine game. In context of the proceeding games, it's a moral victory when an actual victory was needed. Be interesting to see if this loss motivates the team or makes them feel hard-done-by again. As for being "pissed," I'm mainly done feeling emotions about this team. This team really doesn't deserve them from me. I'm apathetic and it's only December. Says a lot about how the year has gone. I didn't get apathetic until the last few games last year, by way of comparison.

Perfectly understandable IMO. A month+ of horrid hockey (without some excuse like massive injuries) was not in any rebuilding plan that I was aware of. Regressing to the point of the season being rendered moot before Christmas is extremely depressing.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

So far, we've had a accumulation of events that didn't go our way. First off, we implemented a bunch of new faces and one of those new bodies happend to be the new face of this franchise in Taylor Hall. We also tweecked our system and teams are adapting to our new game plan, which wasn't the case at the start of the year cause no one knew or saw it before. The schedule also wasn't in our favour but we have a golden chance to negate all of that if we can come up with a nice winning streak at home, where we've been rock solid so far this year. Add to that, the poor play of Schneider, Henrique, Palmieri and I'd even throw Greene in there as well and you have a perfect recipe for a mediocre start.

Camille the Eel

You know fans are pretty emotional about their club. That's what we have here. It's the nature of the beast and it's really why we watch and what this board is about.

So a five game losing streak and the club falling apart, what you are seeing is what you are going to get. Always. Don't expect anything else.

And who can blame "us." It hurts. It's amazing how much energy one pours into watching this stuff and also reacting the next day, into being on line with a board like this.

Losing = This discussion. Nothing wrong with that.

Now we can get analytical and go beyond that . . . but that's not what you are seeing here right now.
Analysis doesn't really defuse emotion and frustration. Got to let it out.

BUT let us win five or six in a row and get back in the hunt . . . this board will be a far different place.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
No offense but I can't stand when people ask that type of question. Do you know who is available? Me neither. I could just blurt out names but that makes no sense not knowing who or what (i.e. draft picks) might be made available by other GMs.

So why bother saying I'd move Henrique and Greene if you don't even know what type of player you want in return. There's alot of posters who have solutions, they just don't know how to get there... and that's about 99.9% of the equation.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You know fans are pretty emotional about their club. That's what we have here. It's the nature of the beast and it's really why we watch and what this board is about.

So a five game losing streak and the club falling apart, what you are seeing is what you are going to get. Always. Don't expect anything else.

And who can blame "us." It hurts. It's amazing how much energy one pours into watching this stuff and also reacting the next day, into being on line with a board like this.

Losing = This discussion. Nothing wrong with that.

Now we can get analytical and go beyond that . . . but that's not what you are seeing here right now.
Analysis doesn't really defuse emotion and frustration. Got to let it out.

BUT let us win five or six in a row and get back in the hunt . . . this board will be a far different place.

So what you're saying is that the majority of this board is bipolar or spoiled, correct?

When you look like **** and are constantly getting shut down by models, you probably have to ask yourself... "are my expectations/standards a little too high?".

At the moment, we look like **** and we're trying to score with Jessica Alba when we should be looking at someone 3 or 4 brackets lower. Once this board realizes that, it'll hurt a little less.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Man, I know you are trying to be optimistic and I applaud you for that. But you can't take the game out of context like that. And honestly, even if you did...we played a decent game but still blew a last minute lead.

But you can't ignore the 13 losses in 16 games, repeated blow leads, the 6 game losing streak and our spot in the standings.

When you look like **** and are constantly getting shut down by models, you probably have to ask yourself... "are my expectations/standards a little too high?".

At the moment, we look like **** and we're trying to score with Jessica Alba when we should be looking at someone 3 or 4 brackets lower. Once this board realizes that, it'll hurt a little less.

And I get your point here...but I don't think anyone ever thought we were going to be a top team. What were your expectations of this season? Because we sit 2nd to last in the Conference right now. You are acting like this is just a little hiccup and the team will be fine. NO! We know how hard it is to make up ground in this league. We know we have a slim chance at making the playoffs. Is that what you expected from this team?

Last edited:

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
...And I get your point here...but I don't think anyone ever thought we were going to be a top team. What were your expectations of this season? Because we sit 2nd to last in the Conference right now. You are acting like this is just a little hiccup and the team will be fine. NO! We know how hard it is to make up ground in this league. We know we have a slim chance at making the playoffs. Is that what you expected from this team?

Personally yes, I did not expect the Devils to make the playoffs, so I do not share the angst around here. Granted I do not think they should be playing this poorly, but it looks far worse than it should because of the success earlier in the season which (unrealistically imo) raised expectations.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So what you're saying is that the majority of this board is bipolar or spoiled, correct?

The problem is not that people expect to win consistently, the problem is they've gone backwards from even last year and effort has been pretty sporadic.

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ

Awesome post. I can both acknowledge the progress this team has made and is making and be disappointed a bad losing streak and multiple crazy Metro winning streaks have removed us from the playoff race before the season is even half over. Just because a playoff berth might be too much to ask for at this point of the rebuild doesn't mean it's not still disappointing for me to be so out of it so quickly and to watch the team lose 13 of their last 16 games, with many of these losses being blowouts.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It's not that hard to understand guys.

Majority of fans expected this team to finish 7-10 in the conference. They currently look like a bottom 3 team in the league, all while being relatively healthy. The organization, as I've said for years, does not have the strong prospect pool it should for a non playoff team.

That is why people are pissed. And it's understandable. If this ends up being the friggin year they get a top 3 pick, I am going to be irate.

If this team ends up bottom 3 or even 5, does anyone honestly see a path to the playoffs in the next couple years? Because outside of Shattenkirk, there isn't a realistic one. Again, that is if this roster goes bottom 5.

Camille the Eel

Me I think we are just a little bit of growth from some of the youngsters, and the addition of a couple of guys to have a playoff shot.

I am not even really sure it's over for this year. Probably. Very probably. But give us a good hot streak or two and who knows. There's time yet. But such a streak's got to start with a win for cryin' out loud.

The guy who worries me the most is actually Schneider. Will the real Cory please stand up.

It's also why I don't want a coach controversy right now. I still think that sticking with Hynes is our best bet to turn things around this year with this group. Just to get into the hunt even. I think changing riders in the middle of the stream is a bad idea.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Oh no, we lost 6 straight games in a row, mouhaaaaa :cry:

If you can't see or realize we played a solid game against a top #5 team yesterday, on the road no less, then you're probably the loon. The negativity around here is ****ing pathetic and contagious.

What a sad life you must have if a little adversity ruins your hope for optimism.

Please be quiet. I was pretty happy with their play and remained relatively positive after the game. Most of what you do on here is just complain about others complaining. It gets very tiresome. If you can't understand why others are upset, you're obtuse.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Meh, I don't think Severson has been the problem. Severson has been outperforming Greene for the most part. He's just old now, he's a small guy with a lot of heavy miles on him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ok comedian. Conmon sense, if he was good and improved he would be on the team.

He had a rough start to this season and has been playing quite well lately. Now up to 20 points in 24 games as a 22 year old. Not too bad. I expect him to be up at some point. But sure, give up on a promising prospect because he wasn't a perfectly well rounded player in his first stint in the NHL. If that's your philosophy, you must have given up on Zacha already.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Am I the only one that thinks Quincey is pretty bad? Not that I expected much but just an observation. I clearly remember yesterday he had like 5 seconds alone in the corner before he was pressured and he still made a bad pass to give the puck away when we needed to clear the zone.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's not that hard to understand guys.

Majority of fans expected this team to finish 7-10 in the conference. They currently look like a bottom 3 team in the league, all while being relatively healthy. The organization, as I've said for years, does not have the strong prospect pool it should for a non playoff team.

That is why people are pissed. And it's understandable. If this ends up being the friggin year they get a top 3 pick, I am going to be irate.

If this team ends up bottom 3 or even 5, does anyone honestly see a path to the playoffs in the next couple years? Because outside of Shattenkirk, there isn't a realistic one. Again, that is if this roster goes bottom 5.

If this team goes that low it's because Schneider had a terrible year, either he got injured or played sub .900 all year. Schneider has basically his entire career as being a good to great goaltender, so I'd be very surprised if this happened without him getting hurt.

The thing about getting pissed about last night is that the Devils cannot change the past - they can't go back and play well in Montreal or against St. Louis or wherever else they played awful and gave away points. Either the Devils were coming out of last night having gotten 0, 1, or 2 points in their last 6 games. So while I get the frustration in general, I don't quite get it in the specific.

If this team finishes bottom 3 or 5, great! It sucks that it's a garbage draft year, but I have a lot of faith that the team will recover next year provided no one was greviously injured. Henrique and Palmieri are neither as good as they appeared last year nor as bad as they've been so far ths year. Hall is still a superstar. The Devils should've finished that low last year but they got some 'good' breaks and ended up where they did - way too high for the team they had.

The division ran away from the Devils this year and that's dispriting for the future - Columbus is somehow actually good and the other teams don't show a ton of signs of falling back either. In other divisions they'd still be in the playoff race though their chances would be slim. I'm still not eager to bet against a big January or February run by this team when they get to stay at home for almost the entire month.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Perfectly understandable IMO. A month+ of horrid hockey (without some excuse like massive injuries) was not in any rebuilding plan that I was aware of. Regressing to the point of the season being rendered moot before Christmas is extremely depressing.

Yeah, it's sad to be pretty much out of the playoff race by Christmas when last year we kept things exciting until the end. Last year, we had a fighting chance of making the playoffs, and it felt like most players were exceeding or meeting expectations. This year, there has been a lot more underperforming, and that's shown in the results. Now if the Devils could get back to looking competitive and winning some games, I'd probably start to care again, but when the team plays poorly for long stretches and doesn't produce results, there's a point where I'd rather just cut off my emotions pertaining to this team.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Awesome post. I can both acknowledge the progress this team has made and is making and be disappointed a bad losing streak and multiple crazy Metro winning streaks have removed us from the playoff race before the season is even half over. Just because a playoff berth might be too much to ask for at this point of the rebuild doesn't mean it's not still disappointing for me to be so out of it so quickly and to watch the team lose 13 of their last 16 games, with many of these losses being blowouts.

Yep. That's exactly how I feel.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Well at least we have a nice easy schedule coming up... (NSH, PHI, PIT, PIT, WSH, WSH) This could get realllly bad guys.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
If this team goes that low it's because Schneider had a terrible year, either he got injured or played sub .900 all year. Schneider has basically his entire career as being a good to great goaltender, so I'd be very surprised if this happened without him getting hurt.

The thing about getting pissed about last night is that the Devils cannot change the past - they can't go back and play well in Montreal or against St. Louis or wherever else they played awful and gave away points. Either the Devils were coming out of last night having gotten 0, 1, or 2 points in their last 6 games. So while I get the frustration in general, I don't quite get it in the specific.

If this team finishes bottom 3 or 5, great! It sucks that it's a garbage draft year, but I have a lot of faith that the team will recover next year provided no one was greviously injured. Henrique and Palmieri are neither as good as they appeared last year nor as bad as they've been so far ths year. Hall is still a superstar. The Devils should've finished that low last year but they got some 'good' breaks and ended up where they did - way too high for the team they had.

The division ran away from the Devils this year and that's dispriting for the future - Columbus is somehow actually good and the other teams don't show a ton of signs of falling back either. In other divisions they'd still be in the playoff race though their chances would be slim. I'm still not eager to bet against a big January or February run by this team when they get to stay at home for almost the entire month.

The bolded is the reason for the contrasting opinions. If they finish bottom 5 this year while remaining relatively healthy, they are in deep **** for the next couple years in this division. I can't speak for everyone else and I haven't even been one of the posters "furious" about last night's game, but that is what concerns me the most.

This can't be a bottom 5 year because it would be pretty damning to this team's future outlook. Just my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad