Another expansion/relocation article with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckschmuck*

I just don't see Anaheim relocating.

The closest team to relocation is still the Coyotes, even though that possibility is still five years away. It's now up to the fans to put their money and butts where their mouths are and support this team. No more excuses from them.

**** or get of the ****ing pot already and let someone else have a turn.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Ducks relocating over-shadows something I think is true. Toronto 2 and Seattle are at the front of the line. Toronto 2 can be shipped into the central. You can schedule matrix that better and you expose your biggest hockey market to both conferences and hopefully make it so one is on the road or playing late most nights and don't overlap. Even Detroit and Columbus would support that as long as they were assured of staying East.

Seattle appears a forgone conclusion, but I think this is important to watch. Quebec City doesn't provide enough oomph more than likely in all the boardrooms and it is easy enough to see how they ship Toronto 2 into the central without upsetting the balance of the conferences.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Ducks relocating over-shadows something I think is true. Toronto 2 and Seattle are at the front of the line. Toronto 2 can be shipped into the central. You can schedule matrix that better and you expose your biggest hockey market to both conferences and hopefully make it so one is on the road or playing late most nights and don't overlap. Even Detroit and Columbus would support that as long as they were assured of staying East.

Seattle appears a forgone conclusion, but I think this is important to watch. Quebec City doesn't provide enough oomph more than likely in all the boardrooms and it is easy enough to see how they ship Toronto 2 into the central without upsetting the balance of the conferences.

Why would a eastern time zone team play in the western coference that's just crazy. That still makes it 15 western teams 17 eastern teams no matter how you alignment them. Portland wants a team hence the rumors of them interested in the coyotes. NHL will go portland and seattle before TOR gets a 2nd team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why would a eastern time zone team play in the western coference that's just crazy. That still makes it 15 western teams 17 eastern teams no matter how you alignment them. Portland wants a team hence the rumors of them interested in the coyotes. NHL will go portland and seattle before TOR gets a 2nd team.

AND WE'RE BACK TO this, gs: Just because Vulcan Sports & Entertainment( the corporation that oversees both the Portland & Seattle franchises in the 5 major sports since both have MLS AND NWSL franchises)doesn't mean Paul Allen will be that saviour.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
AND WE'RE BACK TO this, gs: Just because Vulcan Sports & Entertainment( the corporation that oversees both the Portland & Seattle franchises in the 5 major sports since both have MLS AND NWSL franchises)doesn't mean Paul Allen will be that saviour.

Vulcan sports is only involved with the portland's NBA and Seattle's NFL. He's a minority owner of the sounders

Well according to what i read from our local news reporter that actually Portland came close to getting the coyotes not Seattle if coyotes had to move. Portland has an NHL ready arena where as Seattle does not.

NHL wants to be in the northwest and Seattle and Portland balances out the league 16 west 16 east although in 5 years Coyotes issue will come up again. If NHL wanted to expand right now it would be Portland and Quebec city not TOR2. My feeling is NHL is waiting for Seattle to get their arena shovel ready for a NHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Vulcan sports is only involved with the portland's NBA and Seattle's NFL. He's a minority owner of the sounders

Well according to what i read from our local news reporter that actually Portland came close to getting the coyotes not Seattle if coyotes had to move. Portland has an NHL ready arena where as Seattle does not.

NHL wants to be in the northwest and Seattle and Portland balances out the league 16 west 16 east although in 5 years Coyotes issue will come up again. If NHL wanted to expand right now it would be Portland and Quebec city not TOR2. My feeling is NHL is waiting for Seattle to get their arena shovel ready for a NHL team.

Hansen almost got the Sacramento Kings, but even then, the NHL requirement wasn't needed before Vandivek bought the Kings after leaving Golden State, gs, to keep them in Sacramento, but now since the Coyotes scenario has cooled w/ RSE now buying them, what other franchise is out there ready for relocastion or even entertaining that option?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Considering they are in the middle of a $20M renovation and the owners own the arena mgmt company it won't happen. And that the ownwea have stated they want an NBA team as well, part of the reason for the renovations.

^ This.

The Ducks suffer from what most mid-tier franchises do, when they are not great, they have problems selling tickets...but when they are good they are financially sound.

The Pond, while showing some signs of age, is also a great venue in a very good area. I just can't see the Ducks moving unless they went through a 10 year period of no playoffs and the financials just fell out.

As the above poster mentioned, they also are sinking a ton of money into the facility right now.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hansen almost got the Sacramento Kings, but even then, the NHL requirement wasn't needed before Vandivek bought the Kings after leaving Golden State, gs, to keep them in Sacramento, but now since the Coyotes scenario has cooled w/ RSE now buying them, what other franchise is out there ready for relocastion or even entertaining that option?

Right now its expansion is the only option but i just don't see NHL changing the alignments to 14 west 16 east conference wise unless they were planning on expanding. NHL is well aware of what the status of the arena is in Seattle.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

I think we'll see 36 NHL teams within the next 15 years. (QUE, GTA in the East, SEA, PORT, Vegas and Houston in the West)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Don't see Anaheim moving, I think they've been a middle of the pack team when it comes to fans coming to the games and other things that would lead them to stay where they are.

Pint O Guinness

Apr 6, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't think Anaheim would be moved if look into a Florida before an Anaheim relocation however is it time to bring up another city who at one time held a franchise as a possible destination. Why not, relocate/expansion to Hartford I think the move would be a good one by the NHL as the dark horse move no one would expect and I'm fully confident In a positive outcome of a return of the Whalers. What do you guys think?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think Anaheim would be moved if look into a Florida before an Anaheim relocation however is it time to bring up another city who at one time held a franchise as a possible destination. Why not, relocate/expansion to Hartford I think the move would be a good one by the NHL as the dark horse move no one would expect and I'm fully confident In a positive outcome of a return of the Whalers. What do you guys think?

Florida has an amazing lease agreement, and isn't going anywhere for another 10-15 years (I forget when exactly it expires). So don't even bother to bring them up - it's not happening.

As for Hartford... unlikely. I can't see the NHL putting another team near NY before places like Seattle/Portland or Toronto/Southern Ontario or Quebec City.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As for Hartford... unlikely. I can't see the NHL putting another team near NY before places like Seattle/Portland or Toronto/Southern Ontario or Quebec City.

Yes I agree, though I do very much like the idea of a return to actually both Hartford & Atlanta at some point in time. But in order of priority, certainly looks to me like they might indeed be looking at Expansion by at least 2 teams, Seattle & Quebec absolutely the front runners... and still a curious situation with Portland.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes I agree, though I do very much like the idea of a return to actually both Hartford & Atlanta at some point in time. But in order of priority, certainly looks to me like they might indeed be looking at Expansion by at least 2 teams, Seattle & Quebec absolutely the front runners... and still a curious situation with Portland.

Can't assume that Quebec city is a front runner at this point though it all depends on the support from the owners on if they prefer two more west conference teams or having Detroit or Columbus to move back.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Can't assume that Quebec city is a front runner at this point though it all depends on the support from the owners on if they prefer two more west conference teams or having Detroit or Columbus to move back.

True enough that one shouldnt assume anything however based on facts, events, words spoken Id say its a better than good bet QC is at or near the top along with the PNW. Sure Alignment's all part n' parcel of it, Big Picture stuff. QC's a missing piece to the puzzle, virtually everything in-place for it to more than succeed, as "safe", productive & prosperous as it gets. To me its not a question of Seattle OR Quebec, its both, both of them like ranking 1A's. Be pleased as punch if somehow Portland squeezed in there as well; and love to see a team in Houston. So ya, want my cake & eat it too tommy.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
True enough that one shouldnt assume anything however based on facts, events, words spoken Id say its a better than good bet QC is at or near the top along with the PNW. Sure Alignment's all part n' parcel of it, Big Picture stuff. QC's a missing piece to the puzzle, virtually everything in-place for it to more than succeed, as "safe", productive & prosperous as it gets. To me its not a question of Seattle OR Quebec, its both, both of them like ranking 1A's. Be pleased as punch if somehow Portland squeezed in there as well; and love to see a team in Houston. So ya, want my cake & eat it too tommy.

I'm not saying that Portland is a guarantee to get a team instead of Quebec but its remains open on if there is enough BOG support for Quebec city rather than Portland. Someone is going to get expansion the other won't but would not be surprised if the looser of the expansion gets the coyotes in 5 years. For quebec to get expansion they need super majority of the owners and that means the 14 western teams would have to agree to it and that could be very well be why quebec doesn't get a team.

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com

Yup bring em back. Hartford is always getting left out of the discussion but we shouldn't be. Quebec, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Atlanta, Colorado, etc. etc. all given 2nd chances, Hartford should get some love as well.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yup bring em back. Hartford is always getting left out of the discussion but we shouldn't be. Quebec, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Atlanta, Colorado, etc. etc. all given 2nd chances, Hartford should get some love as well.

And Connecticut isn't NY or BOS 100+ miles away from both, people are really over estimating their influence here it's insane and I see it all the time. Never fails.

I doubt there will be another team in the state of Connecticut anytime soon. Seattle and Portland never had a NHL team before.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And Connecticut isn't NY or BOS 100+ miles away from both, people are really over estimating their influence here it's insane and I see it all the time. Never fails.

It's not about over estimating their influence... it's a question of whether it's better to put a team in a place that has multiple teams surrounding them, and thus they have to fight for market share, or go with a location that doesn't have that issue...

I'm not saying that a team there wouldn't be successful... just that going with other places that doesn't have that concern means there's potentially less risk of them failing.

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com
I doubt there will be another team in the state of Connecticut anytime soon. Seattle and Portland never had a NHL team before.

I'm not suggesting Seattle and Portland don't deserve a team I simply just think it's wrong to leave Hartford out of the discussion entirely. We need an arena, yes but if all things were equal please spare me with Houston/KC/LV over Hartford. There's 2 teams in Florida and 1 in New England, there's something wrong with that.

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com
It's not about over estimating their influence... it's a question of whether it's better to put a team in a place that has multiple teams surrounding them, and thus they have to fight for market share, or go with a location that doesn't have that issue...

I'm not saying that a team there wouldn't be successful... just that going with other places that doesn't have that concern means there's potentially less risk of them failing.

To play devils advocate what other potential market besides QC already has an established fanbase and foothold in their given market? Also another team in close proximity would ease travel issues for the entire EC. I can understand your concern but Hartford is a separate market from NY it wouldn't fight over anything except for perhaps Fairfield county, MSG doesn't even broadcast their games here.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not saying that Portland is a guarantee to get a team instead of Quebec but its remains open on if there is enough BOG support for Quebec city rather than Portland.

That story or "rumor", that not enough members of the BOG's support a return to QC has certainly been making the rounds long & hard in practically every article about Relo or Expansion and Im just not buying it tommy. Could well be Blowback from Molsons out of Montreal that they wont admit to publicly for obvious reasons but no. Peladeau & QC bring more to the table than just a franchise. National broadcast interests & revenues in Canada that would in fact benefit all of the clubs however it would break the monopoly that RDS (french language version of TSN) & Molsons (brewery sponsorships at various arenas & associatively as a sponsor) along with cable, phone & internet services in Quebec itself (Bell Canada). So its complicated, complex. Has absolutely nothing to do with QC being "small market". Everything to do with Montreal protecting its rice bowl. Reasons put out by members of the media duplicitous. So of course Quebec'rs are going to get "upset". No love lost as it is between QC & Montreal, QC & the NHL. Again though, I dont think theres a "line-up". Seattle 1A and Quebec City like 3B. Nonsense. The NHL must establish itself in the PNW just as they should re-establish themselves in Atlanta. Critical. That does not mean Quebec somehow falls to the back of the que. Drops off the radar. Im almost 100% certain in fact their in via Expansion. Guess we'll find out within the next 12-24mnths if Im Dead Wrong yes?

Love Connecticut. Loved the Whalers... but about the building? Appetite for a new one partially funded by the taxpayer? And what of indemnities to Boston, Carolina & Philly etc? And who Champions this?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
That story or "rumor", that not enough members of the BOG's support a return to QC has certainly been making the rounds long & hard in practically every article about Relo or Expansion and Im just not buying it tommy. Could well be Blowback from Molsons out of Montreal that they wont admit to publicly for obvious reasons but no. Peladeau & QC bring more to the table than just a franchise. National broadcast interests & revenues in Canada that would in fact benefit all of the clubs however it would break the monopoly that RDS (french language version of TSN) & Molsons (brewery sponsorships at various arenas & associatively as a sponsor) along with cable, phone & internet services in Quebec itself (Bell Canada). So its complicated, complex. Has absolutely nothing to do with QC being "small market". Everything to do with Montreal protecting its rice bowl. Reasons put out by members of the media duplicitous. So of course Quebec'rs are going to get "upset". No love lost as it is between QC & Montreal, QC & the NHL. Again though, I dont think theres a "line-up". Seattle 1A and Quebec City like 3B. Nonsense. The NHL must establish itself in the PNW just as they should re-establish themselves in Atlanta. Critical. That does not mean Quebec somehow falls to the back of the que. Drops off the radar. Im almost 100% certain in fact their in via Expansion. Guess we'll find out within the next 12-24mnths if Im Dead Wrong yes?

Agreed we'll see what happens in the next couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad