Another expansion/relocation article with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Expansion+tricky+question/8975879/story.html

Sorry if this isn't the place or it belongs in another thread, please move if so. But the following quote caused my jaw to drop a little.

To that end, a group fronted by former NHLer Jeremy Roenick continues to be linked to Seattle. If the league goes the relocation route, Anaheim is thought to be the franchise which will move

Of course, the author provides no further information as to who is saying Anaheim could move. I find this to be pretty ridiculous and pretty irresponsible to throw something like this out there.

He goes onto touch on Winnipeg, Quebec City, GTA etc. but that quote blew my mind.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Looks to be baseless speculation from a writer trying to fill space before the seasons starts.

There have been no indications that the Samuellis are interested in selling the Ducks, let alone the team relocating.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Even the looniest of relocation nuts on these boards don't bring up the Ducks as a relocation candidate, so that doesn't say much about the credibility of the author and whatever source he may have, even if just hot air.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He goes onto touch on Winnipeg, Quebec City, GTA etc. but that quote blew my mind.

Yeah, I found that pretty crazy as well. I also hated his ending/conclusion. He starts off about how good Canada is (in general), how a GTA franchise is a no brainer, how good Winnipeg is, and how Quebec is similar (but notes there's questions about their long term sustainability).

Then provides this quote from an unnamed NHL source.

As for Quebec, he said: "People say Quebec is a no-brainer. I don't know. That market is shallow. Frankly, I don't think there are 30 great hockey markets in North America."

The NHL has proven that. But now they're just looking for two or three great hockey markets - and they might be a lot easier to find.

Great markets, maybe not. However I think there's easily 30 good ones. I also think there's 23 (or more) good US markets.

I also dislike how people will use unnamed sources who then generalize things. Overall Quebec isn't an ideal market (when you look at what a typical market requires). However the Canadian passion makes up for a lot of that (as we see with Winnipeg).

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Anaheim's won a cup. Bettman has fought tooth-and-nail to keep teams that have won cups in the markets they won in. Look at NJ back in 1995 when Nashville was knocking, Edmonton during the days of the weak Canadian Dollar, Bettman doesn't move winners.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Anaheim's won a cup. Bettman has fought tooth-and-nail to keep teams that have won cups in the markets they won in. Look at NJ back in 1995 when Nashville was knocking, Edmonton during the days of the weak Canadian Dollar, Bettman doesn't move winners.

Hence the need for copious amounts of Advil. :sarcasm:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Should point out, the article says people pay $1,000 a year to stay on the Winnipeg Jets wait list. That's clearly incorrect. It's $100 a year.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The league doesn't fight tooth-and-nail to keep winners.

They fight tooth and nail to keep teams where the local municipality has built an area specifically for the hockey team.

Now I think that is what happened in Anaheim. But that was now 20 years ago. Is the arena nearly paid off by now?

We certainly haven't heard anything about Anaheim moving before. But doesn't mean it's impossible. Ed Willis is a well respected hockey writer.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Samueli seems committed to the team, plus he doesn't have another anchor tenant. His bid to help the Sac Kings move there (The Pond) was squished by the NBA.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

They fight tooth and nail to keep teams where the local municipality has built an area specifically for the hockey team.

Now I think that is what happened in Anaheim. But that was now 20 years ago. Is the arena nearly paid off by now?

We certainly haven't heard anything about Anaheim moving before. But doesn't mean it's impossible. Ed Willis is a well respected hockey writer.

Considering they are in the middle of a $20M renovation and the owners own the arena mgmt company it won't happen. And that the ownwea have stated they want an NBA team as well, part of the reason for the renovations.

The Korean*

Looks to be baseless speculation from a writer trying to fill space before the seasons starts.

There have been no indications that the Samuellis are interested in selling the Ducks, let alone the team relocating.

Thank you.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Yeah it's part of the Provinces 5 part series on 'How to fix the NHL'

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/ways+improve+hockey/8970252/story.html

In the rambles of part one, they even suggest to eliminate the All Star game among other things.

The writers don't seem to have a great sense on how the business works.

Oh well, let's see what solutions they come up with in parts 3 through 5 and Bettman will surley add them to his rolodex :sarcasm:

There are a lot of proposals people make that I'd say are crazy or make zero business sense, but eliminating the all star game isn't one of them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ed Willes is notorious for his unfounded hypothesizing & just generally lazy journalism. To call The Province the NY Post of Vancouver is to actually compliment it... just move along. Nothin to see here folks. Just Willes running his mouth again. All the news unfit to print. Merely an attention seeker with a soap box.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The only reason I "might" give credence to this... remember when the Maloofs wanted to move the Sacramento Kings to Anaheim? Point is, it seems Anaheim courted them.

Nothing has happened with potentially wayward NBA teams (other than the Kings) since, but I've always wondered if the Clippers would remain at Staples given the proper offer. Donald Sterling can't live forever.

So the theory would be that there are local interests who don't seen the Ducks as a long-term tenant. Thing is, I think they'd have to get an NBA team first, and I'm not sure they CAN get one.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The only reason I "might" give credence to this... remember when the Maloofs wanted to move the Sacramento Kings to Anaheim? Point is, it seems Anaheim courted them.

Nothing has happened with potentially wayward NBA teams (other than the Kings) since, but I've always wondered if the Clippers would remain at Staples given the proper offer. Donald Sterling can't live forever.

So the theory would be that there are local interests who don't seen the Ducks as a long-term tenant. Thing is, I think they'd have to get an NBA team first, and I'm not sure they CAN get one.

Not really, PCS. They would prefer to have zero anchor tenants because they cannot get a second [NBA] tenant?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

I think Seattle will get one before California gets a 5th NBA team

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Another point which makes this guy's article ridiculous is the current realignment. The NHL needs another team in the West to even things out more. They'd want to expand/not relocate to Seattle in order to make it 16 East and 15 West. Such an irresponsible article IMO.

Then on a different tangent, if they really wanted to even things out, do the consider Vegas/Portland/KC and pass over Quebec and GTA? I for one hope that doesn't happen.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Another point which makes this guy's article ridiculous is the current realignment. The NHL needs another team in the West to even things out more. They'd want to expand/not relocate to Seattle in order to make it 16 East and 15 West. Such an irresponsible article IMO.

Then on a different tangent, if they really wanted to even things out, do the consider Vegas/Portland/KC and pass over Quebec and GTA? I for one hope that doesn't happen.

Portland wins hands down. Vegas has no approved arena plan that's currently under construction KC doesn't even have a owner nor the public support for a team.

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
I could definitely see Anaheim moving. It's not a popular franchise and the market definitely isn't good enough for two NHL teams.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver

I'm almost positive he allowed the Maroons to fold.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

The arena was under construction before the Ducks were awarded. Anaheim basically did what Markham is talking about doing. In both cases suburban communities were hoping to capitalize on sprawl and build city centers based on event venues.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
The arena was under construction before the Ducks were awarded. Anaheim basically did what Markham is talking about doing. In both cases suburban communities were hoping to capitalize on sprawl and build city centers based on event venues.

Yes, the arena was already being built before Disney was awarded the new franchise. The city was actually negotiation with Norm Green to relocate the North Stars to Anaheim before Disney got the new franchise.

The city still owns the Honda Center and Henry Samueli's management company manages it. Samueli was trying to get an NBA team to increase the arena revenues, not to replace the Ducks. But I don't think it would be smart of the NBA to have three teams in the metro LA area.

I highly doubt Samueli would willingly move the Ducks to Seattle and leave the Honda Center without a permanent tenant.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
And we're back to this...

If anyone needs candidates, you need to take a look at the leasing information. Yes, I understand that the Coyotes were just sold and have an out in five years, and I understand that the Coyotes were able to break their lease through bankruptcy, but bankruptcy proceedings haven't occurred since, even with all of the other ownership changes and bankruptcies.

Anaheim's lease doesn't expire until 2023.

Phoenix has five more years.

St. Louis I believe is until 2021, and should be under a non-relo pact with the League until then. Same with the Devils and Panthers and Stars...

And then you see that a relo isn't going to be easy, as all the teams that recently changed hands should be under the non-relo pact with the League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad