Another Downie Incident

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
SmokeyClause said:
I agree that he probably would have saved face better if he had just turned and skated back to the bench. But, once again, you find yourself in a predicament when dealing with Downie. Most players wouldn't attack a player who turns his back on them. But considering Downie's past, he might consider it a slap in the face and become further enraged. And Downie has shown repeatedly that he has moments where common sense and decency elude him.

True, and I've said it on an OHL board and I got the same response. But, he's more likely to gain an advantage for his team by skating away. If Downie did something from behind, it's sure to be seen and a probable suspension would be forthcoming. I don't think Downie would go that far though, he'd get him on the next shift. Everything he does is blown so far out of proportion.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Crush him or go away , what was he trying to do with his stick ? The other kid wasent afraid one bit .

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
If McQuaid is such a *****, like some are claiming, then what does that make Downie? Why not go after one of the Wolves fighters instead? The Wolves have plenty of them, Didiomete, Hastings, Donally and Allen would all be willing to shed the mitts with Downie.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
trippyime said:
If Downie did something from behind, it's sure to be seen and a probable suspension would be forthcoming.

It might also be a concussion for McQuaid, or worse. Facing Downie might have been self-preservation for McQuaid.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Quiksilver said:
If McQuaid is such a *****, like some are claiming, then what does that make Downie? Why not go after one of the Wolves fighters instead? The Wolves have plenty of them, Didiomete, Hastings, Donally and Allen would all be willing to shed the mitts with Downie.

Did you watch the game or even the video clip? There was a scrum after the whistle where everyone had a partner. Downie was left alone with McQuaid. We also notice that Downie's helmet is missing. Perhaps that was McQuaid's doing?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
trippyime said:
Did you watch the game or even the video clip? There was a scrum after the whistle where everyone had a partner. Downie was left alone with McQuaid. We also notice that Downie's helmet is missing. Perhaps that was McQuaid's doing?

I think its fairly safe to presume McQuaid didn't do anything to Downie. I mean he stood there, didn't fight back. Though Downie didn't do anything of particular danger towards him IMO.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
J17ster said:
I think its fairly safe to presume McQuaid didn't do anything to Downie. I mean he stood there, didn't fight back. Though Downie didn't do anything of particular danger towards him IMO.

Why is it fairly safe to assume that? There's a scrum, everyone has a partner, and Downie is alone with McQuaid in the corner missing his helmet. But I agree, nothing Downie did was really endangering McQuaid.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
trippyime said:

I've seen the video clip, it's just that some are making Downie out to be a superhero by "scaring" the ultra tough Adam McQuaid.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
trippyime said:
Why is it fairly safe to assume that? There's a scrum, everyone has a partner, and Downie is alone with McQuaid in the corner missing his helmet. But I agree, nothing Downie did was really endangering McQuaid.

Well McQuaid obviously had no intent of doing anything towards Downie otherwise he would have hit back at.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
J17ster said:
Well McQuaid obviously had no intent of doing anything towards Downie otherwise he would have hit back at.

After he made Downie mad, no of course not. ;)

Quicksilver said:
I've seen the video clip, it's just that some are making Downie out to be a superhero by "scaring" the ultra tough Adam McQuaid.

Fair enough, I'm just saying there's a reason why he was left with McQuaid, everyone has a partner in the scrum.

Roger's Pancreas*

Just like to point out that this happened a few days ago, was posted in the Flyers forum, and garnered little attention from the rest of HF. If it weren't for two posters --Ranger fans none the less-- no one would have known or cared what Downie did, but now we're looking at another flame war in the making.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
J17ster said:
Well, i wouldn't wanna get on the wrong side of Mr McQuaid either ;).

I do think Downie will sooner or later pay for his actions though. Someone will hit back.

Downie is a tough kid though. People are welcome to fight back anytime, he DOES like to drop the gloves. I think a lot of what makes him mad is that there aren't enough players who are willing to fight him in the league.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
trippyime said:
True, and I've said it on an OHL board and I got the same response. But, he's more likely to gain an advantage for his team by skating away. If Downie did something from behind, it's sure to be seen and a probable suspension would be forthcoming. I don't think Downie would go that far though, he'd get him on the next shift. Everything he does is blown so far out of proportion.
He retaliates - the ref's probably just see him and he gets the two minutes
He turns his back - nutjob boy does something worse

I give him credit for not striking back.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Panasonic Youth said:
Just like to point out that this happened a few days ago, was posted in the Flyers forum, and garnered little attention from the rest of HF. If it weren't for two posters --Ranger fans none the less-- no one would have known or cared what Downie did, but now we're looking at another flame war in the making.

I don't surf your board looking for random videos. It was posted here and was the first I had ever seen or heard of it and I called it like I saw it.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
MrMastodonFarm said:
He retaliates - the ref's probably just see him and he gets the two minutes
He turns his back - nutjob boy does something worse

I give him credit for not striking back.

Nutjob boy eh? Another registered psychiatrist? There seems to be a lot of these on the internet whenever Downie does something (you know, these little incidents blown way out of proportion that occur months and dozens of well played games apart).

Roger's Pancreas*

Jon Prescription said:
Trippyime - Do you condone what he did to McQuaid? You are defending Downie to the death, much like Kings fans do with Avery.

What did he do that was so god aweful?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Panasonic Youth said:
Slashed hit foot, you know trying to break someones foot isn't good.
Got his stick up in the face/eye of his face, it doesn't take much contact to lose vision.

Was it god awful? Is Downie an idiot and a nutjob, you bet.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Jon Prescription said:
Trippyime - Do you condone what he did to McQuaid? You are defending Downie to the death, much like Kings fans do with Avery.

I usually do. He didn't really do much to McQuaid. I've seen far, far worse things in my time. People make too much of what Downie does because of how far the media blew the thing in Windsor out of proportion. He's got an unfair rep and when people like you call him psychotic, I really have to question your judgement of character. We've all seen him do some amazing things (like lead Canada to gold in January) and it's only fair we give him a chance to mature. He's had a ****** life, he's a great hockey player and has the potential to be great in the future. I will ALWAYS defend him until he does this in the NHL because he's proven he is a great hockey player, not just some goon. He deserves that chance, anyone does.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
trippyime said:
Nutjob boy eh? Another registered psychiatrist? There seems to be a lot of these on the internet whenever Downie does something (you know, these little incidents blown way out of proportion that occur months and dozens of well played games apart).
Blown out of porportion because you're a Flyers fan?

Yes, nutjob job, I don't have to be a phychiatrist to know someone is a little loopy in the head, just like how I don't have to be a professional whatever to know that Sean Avery for example is a *********.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Panasonic Youth said:

The stick in the face was completely uncalled for and one of the most juvenile things I have ever seen a hockey player do. C'mon, man. You can't do that stuff and get away with it at all.

I can't believe McQuaid didn't put a fist or stick through Downie's head for what he did.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
MrMastodonFarm said:
Blown out of porportion because you're a Flyers fan?

Yes, nutjob job, I don't have to be a phychiatrist to know someone is a little loopy in the head, just like how I don't have to be a professional whatever to know that Sean Avery for example is a *********.

Blown out of proportion because I'm an OHL fan. I liked what the kid brought long before he was drafted by Bob Clarke.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Panasonic Youth said:
What does that have to do anything?

I don't frequent the Flyers bored ever, I'm sure alot of people don't either. I don't care who the poster cheers for that started it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
trippyime said:
I usually do. He didn't really do much to McQuaid. I've seen far, far worse things in my time. People make too much of what Downie does because of how far the media blew the thing in Windsor out of proportion. He's got an unfair rep and when people like you call him psychotic, I really have to question your judgement of character. We've all seen him do some amazing things (like lead Canada to gold in January) and it's only fair we give him a chance to mature. He's had a ****** life, he's a great hockey player and has the potential to be great in the future. I will ALWAYS defend him until he does this in the NHL because he's proven he is a great hockey player, not just some goon. He deserves that chance, anyone does.

But how can you defend something like that where he scrapes his stick up a guys face? You say you will defend him until he does it in the NHL, but why can't you just say "Downie was dumb for doing that and I hope the league takes a stance on it" for once?

Downie is a pansy for doing that. He was just angry he couldn't goad McQuaid into taking a penalty and then had to resort to that crap. He shoudl get a game or two for what he did, but probably won't get anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad