Another Downie Incident

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
I don't see anything happening there. Maybe a warning, at most a one game suspension.

But I don't know what the hell the guy is doing putting a stick under a visor.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Seems like Sean Avery without the quotes
Thanks Flyers fan. Sean Avery is just a normal grinding 2nd/3rd line hockey player without the mouth, he is not nearly as cheap as stupid as Downie.

Does anyone have a list of cheapthings this guy has done in his very short career thus far?

Total nutjob.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Haha I love it. It reminds me of Dr.Hook or whatever from the end of Slapshot.

I like how scared that other kid was of him. That kid is the real *****.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
I wish McQuaid (SP??) clocked him in the face after Downie did that stupid *** flinching BS.
Don't know much about that kid, but all the credit in the world goes to him for just letting Downie continually act like a fool and not strike back.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Venom_17 said:

He didn't look scared. Just looked weirded out by how ****ing batshit Downie is to be doing something like that.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Venom_17 said:

Scared? The Wolves defencemen didn't look scared, at all. He was smart and didn't retaliate to Downie's antaganism.

BTW - Real life is different then movies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MrMastodonFarm said:
Don't know much about that kid, but all the credit in the world goes to him for just letting Downie continually act like a fool and not strike back.

I really wish he did strike back, though. It will come soon enough, I guess.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
Thanks Flyers fan. Sean Avery is just a normal grinding 2nd/3rd line hockey player without the mouth, he is not nearly as cheap as stupid as Downie.
When he was in junior, Avery was very much as cheap and/or stupid as Downie. Believe it or not, he's toned down his behaviour.

Roger's Pancreas*

Jon Prescription said:
I really wish he did strike back, though. It will come soon enough, I guess.

Apparently so did his coach.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Charlie_Girl said:
When he was in junior, Avery was very much as cheap and/or stupid as Downie. Believe it or not, he's toned down his behaviour.

He's even toned it down from the AHL to the NHL.

Fact of the matter is, he's not nearly as psychotic as Downie is right now. Maybe Downie will learn, but I doubt it.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:

Fact of the matter is, he's not nearly as psychotic as Downie is right now. Maybe Downie will learn, but I doubt it.
Watching him in junior, I honestly figured if Avery ever made the NHL, he'd be killed in his first week. He learned, and I hope that Downie will as well. Time will tell.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
MrMastodonFarm said:

What credit? Did he draw a call? Nope, Downie went unpenalized.

In fact, the Wolves coach was livid that McQuaid stood there and took it like a little *****.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Jon Prescription said:

I don't understand how you can possibly call someone you've never met, psychotic.

Any person with a temper and occasional bad decision making is psychotic? Wow, sign me up for your school of thought.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
I hope in a Flyers training camp or something, Mike Richards whoops his a**, what a cheap shot, someone needs to kick his a**. I am sure he will learn real quick in the future. I am a flyers fan and i do not want to see this b/s with the team.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
trippyime said:
What credit? Did he draw a call? Nope, Downie went unpenalized.

In fact, the Wolves coach was livid that McQuaid stood there and took it like a little *****.

I'm not sure he knew what to do. With Downie, you never know. Is he supposed to go back at him with the lumber and hope the situation doesn't escalate to the point where Downie begins swinging at his head? Does he drop his gloves and hope Downie drops his, knowing full well that Downie could just as easily keep swinging harder now that his opponent has no defense? It's easy to cast judgment but I don't imagine hockey players mentally prepare for this moment. And when dealing with someone like Downie, one wrong move could be costly.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
SmokeyClause said:
I'm not sure he knew what to do. With Downie, you never know. Is he supposed to go back at him with the lumber and hope the situation doesn't escalate to the point where Downie begins swinging at his head? Does he drop his gloves and hope Downie drops his, knowing full well that Downie could just as easily keep swinging harder now that his opponent has no defense? It's easy to cast judgment but I don't imagine hockey players mentally prepare for this moment. And when dealing with someone like Downie, one wrong move could be costly.

I don't think McQuaid really went through this analysis in his head. I'm sure he thought he looked "cool" standing there and taking it. What he should have done is just skate away. If you're not going to fight back, why stand there and take it?

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
trippyime said:
I don't think McQuaid really went through this analysis in his head. I'm sure he thought he looked "cool" standing there and taking it. What he should have done is just skate away. If you're not going to fight back, why stand there and take it?

I agree that he probably would have saved face better if he had just turned and skated back to the bench. But, once again, you find yourself in a predicament when dealing with Downie. Most players wouldn't attack a player who turns his back on them. But considering Downie's past, he might consider it a slap in the face and become further enraged. And Downie has shown repeatedly that he has moments where common sense and decency elude him. Would it shock any non-Downie supporter if they read on these boards that Downie took a two handed slash at someone's head ala McSorley?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad