Post-Game Talk: Another day, Another L. Habs lose 3-1 to the Caps

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
1st was pretty even. Got dominated in 2nd, but let them get on the PP, while ours was trash. 3rd we outplayed them, but there is NO scoring on this team.

I thought the forwards would be ok, and the D would be crap, but really the D has been much better than expected considering we're playing 3 rookies, a waiver pickup & Wideman as a top 4.

Forwards aren't going to the net. We get to zero rebounds & almost no traffic.

Montembeault was pretty solid. A tip & 2 clean wrist shots from 10 feet is a pretty good night.

Drouin played better than Pitlick did, but didn't contribute much.

Guhle got elbowed which led to his fight. Refs are blind, but good for the kid for standing up for himself.

Gallagher not letting shit go down on Suzuki. Aces in my book.
As flawed as the forwards are, I find it very odd how the coaching staff haven’t able to find a way to be at least slightly below average offensively instead of bottom of the barrel. Most teams like Yotes and Hawks are literally playing AHL guys so of course they will suck offensively. Our healthy scratches would make those teams with ease.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I don’t like opponents taking runs at our newly minted captain.

There ought to be deterrent players on the ice when Suzuki’s line is out there but they also need to complement him. Who fits the bill?
Anderson probably comes the closest.

Reactions: Runner77

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Sportsnet…I love me a 10 min Leaf recap after the game finishes.
Bless you

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Two things:

1) for anyone who panicked after the opening night win. Rest easy after the two losses last night and tonight.

2) the Habs typical of scoring 3 or more in one game and then struggling to score the next games still true to form. After 4 goals on Wednesday, they had 1 goal in the last 2 games.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
This is why you sign Gallagher to such a contract after knowing him for years, even if you know he won't be worth the money purely from a hockey standpoint.

Gallagher is not the problem on this team and will never be.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Gally has his faults but he definitely has his place as a 3rd liner on contending team.
On a fourth line, I may agree. Seriously, Gally needs to play with grinders like him, simple north south, puck dumping, pucks to the net basic plays, anything else is too complicated for his brain, hasnt the skills or awarenesses to play with talended players, I think its prety clear at thta point.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'll say it.

St. Louis and not playing the youngsters is passing me off already.

I'd get it a month out from the deadline, want to showcase those players more but you're "trying" to win/build for the future and you're doing neither.

Its the same tune with every coach... perhaps the common thread is that the youngsters that dont play mich just aren't really good yet?

Defensively, Savard ate minutes, but then it's Guhle and the 3 other youngsters saw > 15 mins.

Iffensively, our two best players are still very young (Caufield is in his 2nd season!). Dach played 16, Slaf 12 which is low but the guy isn't NHL ready so what, we play him 20 mins a night?

its gonna be a long season, this roster is terrible.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean I’d like him if he was making half of what he currently is and naturally expectations will be higher at that salary
This is it in a nut shell. Gally has regressed there is no denying it. It was predictable given his style of play even a couple of years into his career. One of the worst contracts ever given to a grinder. HuGo would never have given him that deal we could have raped and pillaged some organization if we had moved him at the proper time. I love Gallagher and had him as my Avvy for years here but like I posted the other day I don't mind if GM's make mistakes because they all do. What I can't abide is stupidity. Bergevin put a huge target on him.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
This is why you sign Gallagher to such a contract after knowing him for years, even if you know he won't be worth the money purely from a hockey standpoint.

He sure is a problem, a big one actually at 6.5/yr, he is like 4M overpaid and doesnt fit the new phylosophy Habs brass are looking for, which is a fast paced puck possession game, Gally kills plays all the time and cant complete a pass to save his life.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

on most nights he will be, just like we saw last season

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Looked like Dowd said something, Suzuki gave him a little chop, then Dowd came back at Suzuki.

Honestly it's not a big deal just kind of sore winner vibes from Dowd.

Love Gally's reaction.

That's what I thought I saw.

Then depending on what was said, might have been an immature moment by Suzuki.

Last edited:

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Is it just me or Dach looks good on paper but he seems completely uninterested out there.

No compete whatsoever in him.
I feel like he kinda gives off that impression, but when you watch him closely he's playing pretty well- got stronger as the game went on imo. He was one of the few that was actually creating.

Reactions: vHAB and SlafySZN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad