Post-Game Talk: Another day, Another L. Habs lose 3-1 to the Caps

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
This is why you sign Gallagher to such a contract after knowing him for years, even if you know he won't be worth the money purely from a hockey standpoint.

Gallagher is not the problem on this team and will never be.
This

On a fourth line, I may agree. Seriously, Gally needs to play with grinders like him, simple north south, puck dumping, pucks to the net basic plays, anything else is too complicated for his brain, hasnt the skills or awarenesses to play with talended players, I think its prety clear at thta point.
He had the skills to score with Danault and Tatar. I’m not seeing him around the net as much as before. It could be trying to avoid as many injuries. Adjusting his game if you will. I have a much much bigger issue with Hoffman, Dadonov even Drouin and Armia at lesser salaries than I do with Gally

Habs Junkie

Feb 24, 2009
Montreal
Two bad games in a row, this team is lacking on the D. I’m sure when M&m and Edmundson come back the results will be much better. Don’t lose faith habsland, the kids are exciting!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I know there is no guarantee at end of 5 years, could be 10. That isn't what I said. I said 5 years of terrible hockey isn't worth 10 years of good hockey.
Unfortunately, there is no magic elixir or shortcut to achieve ‘good hockey.’ In a cap world the only way to achieve long term success is through the draft. To draft those few players who have a chance to be franchise level players. You don’t draft those transformative type of player in the middle of the first round. You have to be drafting in the top 5 and having drafted wisely, supplementing those core players through trade and free agency.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I hate the drop pass also but the funny thing is, they are actually gaining zone entry with that stupid play. It's the not being able to set up when they enter the zone that is really bothersome.
The drop pass is not a new tactic. Watch the great tying goal that Lafleur scored against Boston in the 1979 semi finals. It starts with a drop pass that allowed Lafleur to skate into the puck and gain both the neutral and offensive zone with speed. Its no different than the use of motion in football. Its a great tactic to gain the offensive zone. Our problem , as one poster insightfully commented, is what we do creatively once we gain the offensive zone.

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
I miss Kovalev.
What I would pay to have 25 years old Kovalev playing with Suzuki. Suzuki often remind me of him. His powerplay shot and position and his slick dekes through the opponent's body. Doesn't quite bave Kovy's back hand though.

Reactions: the

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This

He had the skills to score with Danault and Tatar. I’m not seeing him around the net as much as before. It could be trying to avoid as many injuries. Adjusting his game if you will. I have a much much bigger issue with Hoffman, Dadonov even Drouin and Armia at lesser salaries than I do with Gally

I didn't even know Armia played, can't remember the announcers say his name. That's how invisible he's been.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice description. I feel we've been missing that type of player for a while. I picked Anderson because of his size, and the fact that he can handle himself. He might not be ideal. But no one else on our team can act as a deterrent.
I made the exact the same points elsewhere but one response I got was totally focused on Anderson’s shortcomings as if none of us are aware of them already. Like you said, there’s no one else.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I made the exact the same points elsewhere but one response I got was totally focused on Anderson’s shortcomings as if none of us are aware of them already. Like you said, there’s no one else.
It's easy for them to say no he doesn't fit. It's much more difficult to find a player amongst the team. Who would fit the description better. Or who would be a better fit, and why.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad