WJC: Annual attendance thread

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The outdoor game completely skewed those numbers. Last year was a debacle.
True... but they really only advertised the outdoor game. Every bit of marketing I saw was focused on putting butts into that big outdoor stadium. As long as they could do that, they knew the overall attendance would be fine. So yes, the outdoor game skewed those numbers, but that was really the plan all along.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
I’ll admit....I’m surprised by the turnout in Vancouver.

Last years debacle can likely be attributed to bad weather, high ticket prices, and a poor rate on the dollar for the lack of Canadian fans, thus a lack of attendance period.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A bit surprised by the attendance in Vancouver. I was expecting worse numbers than this. Figured Canada games would come in around 15000 mark and the group games being sub 7000.

On the other hand, Vancouver did set the attendance record back in 06, and given our unique history with Team Canada, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised to see such a supportive turnout.

Went to the Canada/Swiss game and had a blast. Great atmosphere.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I’ll admit....I’m surprised by the turnout in Vancouver.

Last years debacle can likely be attributed to bad weather, high ticket prices, and a poor rate on the dollar for the lack of Canadian fans, thus a lack of attendance period.

I think Buffalo hosting two times in a pretty short span in there as well. Overall, anyone who thought this tournament was losing its touch were wrong.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yes it is relevant. 2018 tournament was a complete disaster and without the outdoor game the attendance count wouldve been much more abysmal.
We all know that, can we please talk about this year?

Is it fair to assume that the ticket prices while still high are less stupidly high than they were in Montreal-Toronto?

Very good crowd last night, too bad the Czechs and Russians played such a boring game.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
they couldn't get people into the games in Montreal, even after offering free tickets...

and the excuses I heard from the Montreal locals were legendary.
whats ur point? MTL is obviously one of the largest if not the largest hockey town in the world. Only Toronto has a say in that. No other team.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Montreal? The city that has never been able to support a junior team? The city that was ridiculed everywhere for the low turnout for two world juniors. The City that has no AHL team. Montreal is not a hockey city only a Montreal Canadiens city. Also there's less and less people on outside rinks, it's tough now to even play a 3vs.3...

Compare that to a lot of real hockey cities in the rest of Canada who have NHL Junior AHL teams and have strongly supported international competitions.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Montreal? The city that has never been able to support a junior team? The city that was ridiculed everywhere for the low turnout for two world juniors. The City that has no AHL team. Montreal is not a hockey city only a Montreal Canadiens city. Also there's less and less people on outside rinks, it's tough now to even play a 3vs.3...

Compare that to a lot of real hockey cities in the rest of Canada who have NHL Junior AHL teams and have strongly supported international competitions.

Exactly. Montreal is a Habs town. Not a hockey town. I remember reading from Habs fans on this board that they thought it was outrageous to pay the same price for the Canada vs USA game on NYE as it was for a regular season Habs game.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
whats ur point? MTL is obviously one of the largest if not the largest hockey town in the world. Only Toronto has a say in that. No other team.

pardon me?

You starting by asking me what my point is.

Then state Montreal is obviously one of the largest, if not the largest, hockey town in the world.

You answered your own question.

I'm going to assume you have started New Years celebrations early.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
17 556 last night so around 1000 tickets left. Maybe only the semis and final will be full? Ticket prices still too high it seems.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Exactly. Montreal is a Habs town. Not a hockey town. I remember reading from Habs fans on this board that they thought it was outrageous to pay the same price for the Canada vs USA game on NYE as it was for a regular season Habs game.

Yeah it is. This is junior hockey. You're arguing you should pay more to watch the little league world series than seeing the Red Sox at Fenway.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Fenway Park has seen many "World" titles in the last years, the Bell Centre has never seen any titles win unless you count USA in 1996 and USA in 2017!

And good try comparing 12-13 years old kids to 18-19 years old soon to be millionaires.

Montreal is a very bad hockey city all around, only a Habs town.

Now the real question is why Vancouver isn't able to sell out Canada games? And there's a lot of half empty games as well. So yes better than Montreal but still not great.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah it is. This is junior hockey. You're arguing you should pay more to watch the little league world series than seeing the Red Sox at Fenway.

False Equivalency.

Anyway check out the TV ratings for the games when they are released. If Canada manages to play in the Gold Medal game Saturday night it will have more viewers than anything else in the country.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I remember reading from Habs fans on this board that they thought it was outrageous to pay the same price for the Canada vs USA game on NYE as it was for a regular season Habs game.
Well, there's a point to that if there needed to be a direct correlation between the quality of play and the ticket pricing.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Well, there's a point to that if there needed to be a direct correlation between the quality of play and the ticket pricing.
Canada-Usa Canada-Russia U20 games are almost always much more entertaining and "important" than boring low quality, low intensity regular season nhl games. Especially the Habs which haven't had a star player in like forever.

Back on topic, why all those empty seats in Vancouver?

Reactions: Rob

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Canada-Usa Canada-Russia U20 games are almost always much more entertaining and "important" than boring low quality, low intensity regular season nhl games. Especially the Habs which haven't had a star player in like forever.

Back on topic, why all those empty seats in Vancouver?
I am certainly more entertained by this tournament than anything the NHL has to offer but the point still stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad