WJC: Annual attendance thread

Canuckroyal

Dec 28, 2018
Montreal is a terrible sports town period. They only support the Habs and have consistently proven themselves incapable of supporting other teams.

How many teams has Montreal had in the Q that have gone under?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Longueuil Chevaliers
Verdun Collège Français
Montreal Rocket
Verdun Junior
Saint-Jean Lynx
Saint-Hyacinthe Laser
Montreal Juniors
Laval Titan
Sorel Éperviers

The Impact have good attendance but that's about it.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Canada-Usa Canada-Russia U20 games are almost always much more entertaining and "important" than boring low quality, low intensity regular season nhl games. Especially the Habs which haven't had a star player in like forever.

Back on topic, why all those empty seats in Vancouver?
This. Never understood, even as a fan of an NHL team, why a regular mid-season game that occurs 82 times a year, is more entertaining than a once yearly Canada-Russia (if that).

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
The quarter final and semi final time kill the attendance. I know they want to accommodate east coast viewers, but a game on a weekday at 330pm and 500pm local time in Vancouver. Lots of ppl have work

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Never liked holding the tournament in big cities anyway regardless of the attendance. It's all about money anyway, what do these players make for their efforts?

I like it better when smaller towns host these things. Hockey hotbeds, they deserve the games!

Reactions: Pouchkine and Rob

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Good attendance so far. Checking out the remaining meaningful games in Vancouver - 2 QF, 2 SF, Bronze and Gold Medal games - it appears there is only one game with more then 2,000 tickets left. Another game looks to have a little over a thousand left. The others appear to have a few hundred available or are sold out. That's excellent considering half those games (or more possibly) will not involve Canada. The average ticket price is probably double what it was in 2006, but attendance should be similar to that year.

With Calgary - Red Deer winning the bid for the next World Junior's in Canada, don't be surprised if this is the new pattern for bidding cities in Canada for the World Juniors...an NHL city and a CHL city. Bob McKenzie said as much a few weeks ago. Saskatoon and Winnipeg might very well put together a successful bid for the next junior championships in Canada.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Meh it's been over saturated in Canada and the novelty is starting to disappear.
I do think it’s a bit over saturated. They should probably decrease the Canadian hosting to every third or fourth year instead of every other year (plus a bunch of US border cities thrown in). However, you have to understand the temptation the IIHF must feel when they see this junior tournament generate more cash than their senior tournaments. And when you hold it in a location that doesn’t embrace it, then you get almost nothing. It’s quite the dilemma.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This tournament does not generate more money than the Senior Worlds no chance.

Might as well call this tournament the U20 Canada Cup these days.

Reactions: Coinneach

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I do think it’s a bit over saturated. They should probably decrease the Canadian hosting to every third or fourth year instead of every other year (plus a bunch of US border cities thrown in). However, you have to understand the temptation the IIHF must feel when they see this junior tournament generate more cash than their senior tournaments. And when you hold it in a location that doesn’t embrace it, then you get almost nothing. It’s quite the dilemma.
Source on the U20 Championship being more profitable than the World Championship?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Source on the U20 Championship being more profitable than the World Championship?
Well, it's worth noting that the World Championship has a lot more games than the WJC due to the sheer amount of teams involved, but.... you guys do know that they don't play the World Championships in NHL sized arenas, right?

Here are the top 5 highest ranked average attendances per game for both championships:

World Championships
  1. 2015 Czech Republic - 11,589
  2. 1979 Soviet Union - 11,078
  3. 2017 Germany & France - 10,725
  4. 1985 Czechoslavakia - 10,291
  5. 1997 Finland - 10,119
World Junior Championships
  1. 2012 Calgary & Edmonton - 14,688
  2. 2009 Ottawa - 14,622
  3. 2015 Toronto & Montreal - 12,212
  4. 2011 Buffalo & Lewiston - 10,635
  5. 2006 Vancouver @ Kelowna - 10,488
That alone paints an interesting picture... but that's not all. Don't forget that Canadian cities have been complaining about NHL ticket prices at the WJC. When the games are held in Canadian cities they are expensive as hell! Though I couldn't immediately find the data on average ticket prices for both events, my guess is that the World Championships average ticket falls well below that of a Canadian WJC.

I hope this is suddenly a bit of an eye opener for some people. It seems weird to think a junior tournament could possibly be more profitable than a senior tournament, but that's the case.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Well, it's worth noting that the World Championship has a lot more games than the WJC due to the sheer amount of teams involved, but.... you guys do know that they don't play the World Championships in NHL sized arenas, right?

Here are the top 5 highest ranked average attendances per game for both championships:

World Championships
  1. 2015 Czech Republic - 11,589
  2. 1979 Soviet Union - 11,078
  3. 2017 Germany & France - 10,725
  4. 1985 Czechoslavakia - 10,291
  5. 1997 Finland - 10,119
World Junior Championships
  1. 2012 Calgary & Edmonton - 14,688
  2. 2009 Ottawa - 14,622
  3. 2015 Toronto & Montreal - 12,212
  4. 2011 Buffalo & Lewiston - 10,635
  5. 2006 Vancouver @ Kelowna - 10,488
That alone paints an interesting picture... but that's not all. Don't forget that Canadian cities have been complaining about NHL ticket prices at the WJC. When the games are held in Canadian cities they are expensive as hell! Though I couldn't immediately find the data on average ticket prices for both events, my guess is that the World Championships average ticket falls well below that of a Canadian WJC.

I hope this is suddenly a bit of an eye opener for some people. It seems weird to think a junior tournament could possibly be more profitable than a senior tournament, but that's the case.
The U20 tournament has mere 20 games while the senior tournament has more than thrice the number (64) so it seems odd to only compare the average attendances, not to mention that a bulk of the revenue is generated from broadcasting rights. The U20 championship is more popular than the men's championship only in Canada. I certainly don't buy the assertion that the junior tournament would be more of a cash maker than the senior tournament.

Also, not that it matters, but you are in fact missing the 1973 edition hosted in the Soviet Union which ranks third with an average attendance of 11 050 spectators.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The U20 tournament has mere 20 games while the senior tournament has more than thrice the number (64) so it seems odd to only compare the average attendances, not to mention that a bulk of the revenue is generated from broadcasting rights. The U20 championship is more popular than the men's championship only in Canada. I certainly don't buy the assertion that the junior tournament would be more of a cash maker than the senior tournament.

Also, not that it matters, but you are in fact missing the 1973 edition hosted in the Soviet Union which ranks third with an average attendance of 11 050 spectators.
This current tournament has 31 games. Not sure where you got the number 20 from. My point on average attendance is that it also costs less to hold fewer games. It's more lucrative based on how much goes into it. Having said that, It's also possible that NHL buildings have higher rental rates than those in Europe. Not sure how that works, to be honest.

Broadcasting rights is an important component. I would love to see some figures on that. What I do know is that TSN probably has a lucrative deal as it is the flagship event on their schedule and accounts for many of their most watched programs. The WJC does still go out to other countries, though not as many as the Wold Champioships. But ho much do those non-hockey countries pay for it? Again, it would be nice to see some numbers on that.

For the record, my assertion wasn't that ALL WJC events outpace all WC events. My point was that they are extremely lucrative despite being a junior tournament and yes, many of the top attended events have higher total attendance than some worlds that have that have been held in recent years (since the year 2000), despite having half the games. Add the inflated ticket prices and there is no doubt that this is an extremely lucrative tournament for the IIHF... but only in Canada.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This current tournament has 31 games. Not sure where you got the number 20 from. My point on average attendance is that it also costs less to hold fewer games. It's more lucrative based on how much goes into it. Having said that, It's also possible that NHL buildings have higher rental rates than those in Europe. Not sure how that works, to be honest.

Broadcasting rights is an important component. I would love to see some figures on that. What I do know is that TSN probably has a lucrative deal as it is the flagship event on their schedule and accounts for many of their most watched programs. The WJC does still go out to other countries, though not as many as the Wold Champioships. But ho much do those non-hockey countries pay for it? Again, it would be nice to see some numbers on that.

For the record, my assertion wasn't that ALL WJC events outpace all WC events. My point was that they are extremely lucrative despite being a junior tournament and yes, many of the top attended events have higher total attendance than some worlds that have that have been held in recent years (since the year 2000), despite having half the games. Add the inflated ticket prices and there is no doubt that this is an extremely lucrative tournament for the IIHF... but only in Canada.
Right, I got the number of games for the WJC wrong but the difference is still enormous. The Canadian WJC is certainly a lucrative business opportunity for the IIHF but so are the men's top division tournaments and as you stated, there are many contributing factors to the revenue streams so no accurate comparisons can be made. There is still nothing concrete to support the assertion that the (Canadian) WJC tournaments would generate more profit than the senior tournaments.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Right, I got the number of games for the WJC wrong but the difference is still enormous. The Canadian WJC is certainly a lucrative business opportunity for the IIHF but so are the men's top division tournaments and as you stated, there are many contributing factors to the revenue streams so no accurate comparisons can be made. There is still nothing concrete to support the assertion that the (Canadian) WJC tournaments would generate more profit than the senior tournaments.
No, nothing concrete. But clearly the Canadian WJC's have made more money than some post 2000 WC's. In any case the entire point of my original post was to show you the difference between a Canadian WJC and a non-Canadian WJC. That was the comparison I was much more interested in and the original purpose of my posting.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
i mean ill beat at the canada game today, still spent close to 400 bucks lmao

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
No, nothing concrete. But clearly the Canadian WJC's have made more money than some post 2000 WC's. In any case the entire point of my original post was to show you the difference between a Canadian WJC and a non-Canadian WJC. That was the comparison I was much more interested in and the original purpose of my posting.
This we agree. But I'm not sure TSN pays that much for the rights, do you remember any bidding war with Sportsnet? They get huge ratings that we know but do they pay that much? In Europe the U20 is a small time event while the Seniors are huge on tv. Also for the hosts of the Seniors Worlds there are a lot of foreign fans coming to games so huge $ for the host country-city. Every 3 years in Canada would be enough, now it's really become a Junior Canada Cup with vastly overpriced tickets...

A lot of companies buy those stupid ticket packages and lots of games have a lot of empty seats, more than the actual number of tickets "sold' that's sad to see in an event where the players are not even paid.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
That is obvious of course. Some of the early 2000s tournaments had abysmal attendance figures, far less so during this decade.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This we agree. But I'm not sure TSN pays that much for the rights, do you remember any bidding war with Sportsnet? They get huge ratings that we know but do they pay that much? In Europe the U20 is a small time event while the Seniors are huge on tv. Also for the hosts of the Seniors Worlds there are a lot of foreign fans coming to games so huge $ for the host country-city. Every 3 years in Canada would be enough, now it's really become a Junior Canada Cup with vastly overpriced tickets...

A lot of companies buy those stupid ticket packages and lots of games have a lot of empty seats, more than the actual number of tickets "sold' that's sad to see in an event where the players are not even paid.
Yes, I particularly agree with you on the ticket packages. But those aren't just sold to companies, that is how they market to everybody in Canada. If you want to go to two or three games, you have to buy like 15! It's ridiculous. They open up single tickets toward the end when there aren't many great seats left. All things considered, we still do pretty well in this country for actually putting butts in seats. I was just at a non-Canada game in an 18,000 seat arena and it was probably around 80% full.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
With decent ticket prices most games would be sell outs in this country. That's really sad to see, lots of young kids and families being priced out of junior hockey...

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Longueuil Chevaliers
Verdun Collège Français
Montreal Rocket
Verdun Junior
Saint-Jean Lynx
Saint-Hyacinthe Laser
Montreal Juniors
Laval Titan
Sorel Éperviers

The Impact have good attendance but that's about it.

What a terrible, terrible post. Most of these teams aren't even in Montréal and some are a rebrand of the same franchise.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Rosemont National 1969-1971 (district in Montreal)
Verdun Maple Leafs 1969-1972
Montreal Bleu-Blanc-Rouge 1972-1975
Montreal Juniors 1975-1982
Verdun Juniors 1982-1984
Verdun Junior-Canadiens 1984-1989
Longueuil Collège-Français 1989-1991
Verdun Collège-Français 1991-1994
Montreal Rocket 1999-2003
Montreal Junior 2008-2011 (Played in Verdun)

All the other teams are close to Montreal, especially Laval.

Why do you think they constantly switched arenas-cities and needed to rebrand? Because it failed every time after a few years.

Montreal is not a great hockey city, only a Habs town.

3 badly attended World Juniors.

You like this better?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I personally love it when the tournament is hosted outside of North America. Nothing like waking up early to watch games (Ufa), or watch them in the morning or mid-day when it's hosted in Sweden/Finland/Czech Republic around the holidays. It's fantastic and evokes great nostalgia of years past.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
With decent ticket prices most games would be sell outs in this country. That's really sad to see, lots of young kids and families being priced out of junior hockey...
the start time doesnt help especially for team canada... 330pm local time on a weekday... come on..

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad