WJC: Annual attendance thread

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Seems like there's a thread on attendance every year so I thought I'd make one.

Last year was pretty embarrassing aside from the outdoor game and the finals. Had to be an all time low. Kind of ruined the atmosphere.

What's it expected to be like this year?

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Last year was pretty embarrassing aside from the outdoor game and the finals. Had to be an all time low. Kind of ruined the atmosphere.

Not even close to an all-time low. Probably still in the upper half of WJC tourneys over the years. That said, yes it was disappointing. I think things get back on track this year.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Not even close to that. The 2018 tournament ranks tenth (out of 40 tournaments), both in total attendance as well as average attendance. It is also the third-highest attended tournament outside Canada, and just narrowly behind the ninth-ranked 2016 tournament in Finland.

The World Junior Championship has only started to attract large masses in the 2000s. Before that it had been very much a minor event.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
All the games in Victoria are sold out. That's about 7,000/game or so. There are lots of tickets on sale on the internet, with some ridiculous prices, so it's reasonable to assume not all the seats will be full. I know the semifinals and medal games are sold out as well, and all of Canada's games in Vancouver are sold out.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
All the games in Victoria are sold out. That's about 7,000/game or so. There are lots of tickets on sale on the internet, with some ridiculous prices, so it's reasonable to assume not all the seats will be full. I know the semifinals and medal games are sold out as well, and all of Canada's games in Vancouver are sold out.

Still quite a bit of tickets left for the 26th and 27th canada game. But then it’s Denmark and switzerland so maybe not much interests there.. also lots of tickets left for the quarter final game on wed Jan 2 which Canada will play if advance.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
7,000 a game? wouldn't that qualify for alltime low? I'd hope Vancouver could pick it up.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
What were the ticket prices?
I am looking for quarter and semi final tickets; prices range from $60 to $225 depending on the time slot..looks like lots of tickets still on Ticketmaster and StubHub...
I haven't seen a ticket thread here; would be nice to have one

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
7,000 a game? wouldn't that qualify for alltime low? I'd hope Vancouver could pick it up.

He was talking about Victoria. Games here have been sold out for some time, with the benefit of a potentially entertaining group.

A neighbour of my parents stated that her kids bought ticket packs for the event. The only games they wouldn't be attending due to work they sold off.

7,000/game would just be a base.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
9266 and 16 417 for Vancouver yesterday so good crowds but no sell out there.
6208 and 6319 in Victoria again good crowds but tickets remaining.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
9266 and 16 417 for Vancouver yesterday so good crowds but no sell out there.
6208 and 6319 in Victoria again good crowds but tickets remaining.

Is that the actual number of people in attendance? All the tickets in Victoria are allegedly sold out which is why I’m wondering.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
In North America it's always tickets sold or that's how it usually works in NHL MLS NBA NFL MLB.

5896 and 5863 yesterday in Victoria so there's clearly hundreds of tickets left for each game there.

Last edited:

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Women’s FIFA World Cup in Canada averaged over 30 000/game.
Just Canada has changed...

No, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. The way Canada has changed is that they are no longer going to be marks for Hockey Canada's attempt to cash in on all things "Canadian Hockey" to the degree they do.

What were ticket prices for the women's event?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's a lot of money for a round robin game when 8/10 teams advance... I wonder how many fans tonight for Czech-Russia in Vancouver?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
What's the coverage like in Vancouver, a lot more than for the Canucks, even or less?

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Got upper deck seats for both quarter final games..$57 and $107...thought they would have been more...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->