Confirmed with Link: Anisimov signs 3 year, $9.85M extension $3.283M AAV

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Raise???

Anisimov, 25, recorded 11 goals and seven assists for 18 points in 35 games last season, his first with the Blue Jackets. He led the team in even-strength goals (10), shootout goals (4) and shooting percentage (16.2), while ranking third in face-off wins (249) and blocked shots by a forward (24-tied).

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675336&navid=DL|CBJ|home

Playing on a new team, with new teammates, with little to no practice and a truncated season.

I would say deserved.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
When I think of the contracts that players like Malhotra and Pahlson received, this is a great contract. Arty is very reliable in his own zone, kills penalties and is great in the circle.

Now add to that the fact he has that wicked backhand, some offensive flair/vision and skill to go along with his size and this looks like it could be a great contract.

I'm pretty excited about this and although he did deal with injuries last year, historically he's a very reliable, healthy player.

Nice job by both parties

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
This is a fair deal. I like the term and the money. Arty proved that he's an important part of this club. Unless GMJK acquires a #1 center, he's going to get a chance to produce with Gabby.

Now, hopefully we can somehow acquire or sign a top line left wing.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Seems about what one would expect. Good deal for all.

As someone pointed out, he's a top 6 player and is now being compensated appropriately.

He's not expensive and has no trade restrictions so he can be moved if it would benefit the organization.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Anisimov played in 82, 82, and 79 games in 09-10, 10-11, and 11-12.

He also played 36 games in the KHL in 12-13 29 pts 12-17

Making his totals for 12-13 71 23-24 47 (.66pts/gm)

Not counting 8 games in the WC

Edit: corrected pts total for KHL

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This might be true if Juice killed penalties, was a dominant face off guy at times and was a center.

I'm being figurative, you're being literal. I'm thinking of an oft-injured, top-six forward (Arty plays wing too) that can occasionally do amazing things with the puck for about the same size contract. I would have been very happy to have Huselius on this club when he was 25.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I'm being figurative, you're being literal. I'm thinking of an oft-injured, top-six forward (Arty plays wing too) that can occasionally do amazing things with the puck for about the same size contract. I would have been very happy to have Huselius on this club when he was 25.

Not sure the oft-injured part applies, would be my objection.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Arty = New Juice

Not even close. Arty is really good defensively. We have 3 or 4 guys who can play good two-way hockey from the center position. Arty is the best one.

He also had a great year scoring despite difficult matchups, and defensive usage. He scored at the 38th best pace in the league (easily best on the Jackets) in points per even-strength minutes. If he can keep that pace up, and if we were to use him in a more offensive role, he would be a #1 center.

My only thing is I'm still asking what he did to earn that much of a raise? He didn't exactly have a career year or anything. (I guess that could be argued that IF it was a full season and IF he had stayed healthy for said hypothetical season, he would be on track for a possible 45 pt season)......a lot of IFs in there. If not I give him a year and a half before half the board is screaming buyout.

This is a great contract.

No, that's not what I'm saying in the least bit. Artie is a great player and don't get me wrong, I want him on the team. But Anisimov's best year was 44 pts back in 2011 I think. This year he theoretical was on place to match it. SO why the raise? Personally I thought around 2 would have been fair. I guess that's why Im not a GM.

I'd say he was underpaid to begin with, but there is also somewhat of an upward trajectory to his production if you take into account that we used him in a more difficult defensive role. Tortorella was protecting him more in NY as most young players get protected.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
Good to know we get to see the continued maturation of Artem as a hockey player. Love this signing. I think this will be a steal at the end of the contract.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
AVz939m.gif

Excited!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
While I'm happy to have resigned him I think it is a bit rich. Top 6 in Columbus isn't Top 6 in Chi,Boston,etc. Didn't break the bank and it shows some sanity in cash flow with the big hit being end loaded and the no no trade thing is big.

Now if a 50 pt forward is worth a 3.3 cap hit what's a Vezina Trophy winner worth? I'm guessing with Rask looking at 6 mill plus for a bunch of years and Arty's deal 5 mill is the minimum I see Bob getting.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
While I'm happy to have resigned him I think it is a bit rich. Top 6 in Columbus isn't Top 6 in Chi,Boston,etc. Didn't break the bank and it shows some sanity in cash flow with the big hit being end loaded and the no no trade thing is big.

Now if a 50 pt forward is worth a 3.3 cap hit what's a Vezina Trophy winner worth? I'm guessing with Rask looking at 6 mill plus for a bunch of years and Arty's deal 5 mill is the minimum I see Bob getting.

Can we not just refer to Arty as a 50-point forward? If Juice got 50 points, then we can call him a 50-point forward, but Arty does a lot more.

And for the record, Chicago would love to have Arty as a #2C, he easily outclasses Handzus and Bolland.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Arty the Russian who has yet to put up 50 pts?

Arty the former Ranger?

See its easy.:sarcasm:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's improved every year he's been in the league. For those saying its too much or an overpayment, keep that in mind.

Also, other than last year he had only missed 3 games in his NHL career, seems like just an unlucky year (hopefully) with injuries. Great contract

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Arty IS a forward, he's just never gotten 50 points in the NHL (yet).

My point is we all look a little silly when our way of assessing a player's worth to the team is number of points. Can we not do that with Arty? He would have easily led the team in scoring if he was given the plum zone starts and 5 on 5 time that a guy like Prospal got. (See post 41). But he wasn't used that way because he is a better all-around player, so he played PK and took on shutdown duty. Still he finished 38th in the league in points per 5-on-5 minutes. He was about 15th in the whole league for centers at 5-on-5 scoring rate.

And here we are mulling over the chances of buyout talk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad