Prospect Info: Angus Crookshank 126th

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is the type of forward group I'd want for next year (there's always a guy injured so Kastelic as the 13th forward is fine) :

Tkachuk - Norris - Giroux
Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Teräväinen - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Dickinson - Duhaime
Kastelic

Jarventie and Ostapchuk in the AHL as call-up options, want them to develop another year, they will still be waivers exempt

This is a pretty good lineup.

Personally, I hope they go and grab a right-handed defensemen on the market and sign Tyler Bertuzzi to replace Tarasenko. I think bringing back Dylan Demelo could be a smart move that doesn't cost the moon.

Bertuzzi - Stutzle - Joseph
Greig - Pinto - Batherson
Crookshank - Kastelic - Aubé-Kubel/Raddysh/Duhaime

Sanderson - Chabot
Chychrun - Zub
Kleven - Demelo

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Reactions: Xspyrit

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
IMO it would be a nice addition to Sens identity...if they were known as a hard-hitting team. And pesky. Lots of BradyGreigShanking peskiness ;)
Yeah. Kleven will eventually help in that regard. Would be nice to see Norris, Tank and Bath throw a few more.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
What did Crookshank do to only get 8 shifts in the game, 5 in 1st, 1 in 2nd and 2 in 3rd, for a total time of 05.11

Per​
SHF​
AVG​
TOI​
EV TOT​
PP TOT​
SH TOT​
1​
5​
00:45​
03:45​
03:37​
00:08​
00:00​
2​
1​
3​
2​
00:20​
00:41​
TOT​
8​
00:38​
05:11​
05:03​

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
What did Crookshank do to only get 8 shifts in the game, 5 in 1st, 1 in 2nd and 2 in 3rd, for a total time of 05.11

Per​
SHF​
AVG​
TOI​
EV TOT​
PP TOT​
SH TOT​
1​
5​
2​
1​
3​
2​
TOT​
8​

Be a rookie playing for an old school coach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Per​
SHF​
AVG​
TOI​
EV TOT​
PP TOT​
SH TOT​
1​
5​
2​
1​
3​
2​
TOT​
8​
Well, he isn't on either special teams and 2nd period had the least 5v5 play, and we were protecting a lead so so Martin was probably relying on his more defensively trusted players. By the third, I think we were trying to stop the bleeding,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Glad to see that Crookshank worked his ass off to come back in the mix. IIRC it was 2021-22 where it looked like he was going to make the team then got injured badly and missed the whole season. It's hard and it takes time to recover from career changing injuries, if it ever happens. Same thing happened a few years back to Balcers and Wolanin when they looked like they were going to be pretty decent NHLers. Speaking of Wolanin, the guy has 6 goals 23 pts in 86 NHL games and is only -2 playing on only rebuilding teams (Sens, Kings, Canucks), plus he has been dominating the AHL (126 pts in 160 AHL games, been PPG lately)

When is Wolanin going to get another chance in the NHL?

This is a pretty good lineup.

Personally, I hope they go and grab a right-handed defensemen on the market and sign Tyler Bertuzzi to replace Tarasenko. I think bringing back Dylan Demelo could be a smart move that doesn't cost the moon.

Bertuzzi - Stutzle - Joseph
Greig - Pinto - Batherson
Crookshank - Kastelic - Aubé-Kubel/Raddysh/Duhaime

Sanderson - Chabot
Chychrun - Zub
Kleven - Demelo

Korpisalo
Forsberg

I can't stand Bertuzzi and his missing teeth. lol seriously, he had one great season in 2021-22 but look at the rest of his career, quite ordinary for a guy claiming Top-6 money, he's worse than Batherson defensively by the way. He's soon 29 y/o and makes more than Bath with half the talent. I think we need to focus on getting a 2-way winger who drives possession, like Teräväinen

Also, don't separate Batherson and Stutzle. That 1st line has to be kept together as they have pretty good metrics, Batherson on a 3rd line is a pure waste. He needs to play with high end talent. People have been down on him because of his defensive play but seriously, last year he played with a rookie center who had just missed a full season and a guy who was not really interested to be there. And even this season, as I said multiple times before, don't evaluate our players defensively in DJ Dorion era, it's going to be misleading.

Batherson has been our best forward this season, 11 goals 26 pts +3 in 26 games since the 4th game of the season, only Stutzle has more points during that stretch (5 goals 29 pts). His defensive metrics are fine, seems to be average on our forward group. Sure you have to use him more offensively to not force him to spend his time defending but people have underrating him big time IMO. It's even better if you look since November 9th :

DeMelo could be a smart pick up but wouldn't we want to play with Chabot then, based on past chemistry? I know people want Kleven to be here as fast as possible but he needs to dominate in the AHL first IMO. He's nowhere near as good as Brannstrom right now. IMO, we have the big 3, they all are LHD so make 3 strong pairings

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Demelo
Chychrun - JBD
Guenette, Hamonic

Trade Brannstrom for a young-ish forward

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Crookshank was sent back to Belleille, after the last game, probably just a paper transaction and he will play against the Laffs

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Angus Crookshank is the type of player you don't get overly excited about as a prospect but is absolutely imperative to develop on a deep contending team. Like Greig, his play can shape the identity of the entire bottom 6 on its own. Smart, excellent skater, tenacious, good puck luck, interferes with the oppositions game play every time he is around the puck and enough offence to make whatever line he is on a sneaky threat.

Not a player comparison but I think he is this generations Chris Kelly in terms of how he will impact our bottom 6 for years to come.

Finally a breakthrough bottom line player for us. It's almost like we forgot those exist. Very happy for him.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Angus Crookshank is the type of player you don't get overly excited about as a prospect but is absolutely imperative to develop on a deep contending team. Like Greig, his play can shape the identity of the entire bottom 6 on its own. Smart, excellent skater, tenacious, good puck luck, interferes with the oppositions game play every time he is around the puck and enough offence to make whatever line he is on a sneaky threat.

Not a player comparison but I think he is this generations Chris Kelly in terms of how he will impact our bottom 6 for years to come.

Finally a breakthrough bottom line player for us. It's almost like we forgot those exist. Very happy for him.
Couldn't have said it better myself. He's physical, has a motor, and is tenacious on the backcheck. We have a stud in him

Reactions: Bileur and dumbdick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Nice job crooksy!

Doubt many people would have predicted him to lead the team over sokolov a few years back.

He's gonna be a solid depth NHLer, I think.

He might still have to jump kelly on the depth chart, though, unless they promote joseph into the top 6, but I don't think either him or kelly are ready for top 9.

Reactions: Bileur

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The Shank is kind of Ridly Greigish. He is older, but I can see him being able to contribute more as a 4th liner than Asslick Kubalik.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Crookshank is the leading scorer for the BSens but is only 55th in AHL scoring.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is the type of forward group I'd want for next year (there's always a guy injured so Kastelic as the 13th forward is fine) :

Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Teräväinen - Pinto - Joseph
Crookshank - Dickinson - Duhaime
Kastelic

Jarventie and Ostapchuk in the AHL as call-up options, want them to develop another year, they will still be waivers exempt
Jason Dickinson ($4.25 M ) ?
Brandon Durhaime ($1.1 M) ?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Shank is kind of Ridly Greigish. He is older, but I can see him being able to contribute more as a 4th liner than Asslick Kubalik.

I like Crookshank but he doesn't have anywhere near Greig's IQ and defensive awareness, or skill. Hopefully he can be Kelly's actual level

Jason Dickinson ($4.25 M ) ?
Brandon Durhaime ($1.1 M) ?

You're quoting a post old from almost 2 months ago. Dickinson has been signed since (Hawks overpay support vets so they stay in Chicago during the rebuild)

I don't remember but I had Dickinson around 3.2 AAV or something

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I like Crookshank but he doesn't have anywhere near Greig's IQ and defensive awareness, or skill. Hopefully he can be Kelly's actual level
Crookshank's AHL numbers are a lot closer to greig's (a little hard to compare given Ridly played in the league younger and shorter). But they're a lot better than Kelly's.

I don't think he's going to be as good as Greig, but I think he'll be substantially better than Kelly. That's not a shot at kelly, I'm just high on Crookshank.

I think Crooksy will be a regular top-9 player in the league in a year or two.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Crookshank's AHL numbers are a lot closer to greig's (a little hard to compare given Ridly played in the league younger and shorter). But they're a lot better than Kelly's.

I don't think he's going to be as good as Greig, but I think he'll be substantially better than Kelly. That's not a shot at kelly, I'm just high on Crookshank.

I think Crooksy will be a regular top-9 player in the league in a year or two.

It's true that Crookshank has pretty decent AHL stats overall, he had a 19 games stretch at 21 y/o but his stats are mostly from 23+ y/o, while Greig was a FRESH 20 y/o last season (August born, almost a FULL year younger than Tyler Boucher when he started his AHL career and he's the 2nd youngest guy on the team after Ostapchuk)

What I meant by "Kelly's actual level" is how he has been playing lately, as the coaching change had a pretty nice effect on him. And he's been rewarded, 4 goals, 7 pts in his last 15 games, 12:58 TOI/GP

If Crookshank ends up playing anywhere near Kelly's actual level, we should be happy. But I doubt he ends up as a Top-9 player in the NHL, there's just too much talent all over the place.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
At 5-on-5 there hasn't been a huge difference in Crookshank and Kelly's AHL production...

Crookshank: 46 points in 127 games [.36 per game], 36 primary points
Kelly: 35 points in 123 games [.28 per game], 28 primary points

Normalized over a 76 game AHL season that's about a 5 point gap. So not much.

What is really going to hurt Crookshank is his lack of defensive utility. There's just not a ton of undersized, offense only, agitator types in the league. Mikey Eyssimont. Nick Cousins. Ryan Lomberg. So it's not impossible to make it, but it's a hard road.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
At 5-on-5 there hasn't been a huge difference in Crookshank and Kelly's AHL production...

Crookshank: 46 points in 127 games [.36 per game], 36 primary points
Kelly: 35 points in 123 games [.28 per game], 28 primary points

Normalized over a 76 game AHL season that's about a 5 point gap. So not much.

What is really going to hurt Crookshank is his lack of defensive utility. There's just not a ton of undersized, offense only, agitator types in the league. Mikey Eyssimont. Nick Cousins. Ryan Lomberg. So it's not impossible to make it, but it's a hard road.
Dress Crookshank against the Panthers and let him shine

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

Belleville’s Crookshank named American Hockey League Player of the Month for February 2024​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad