Prospect Info: Angus Crookshank 126th

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The big argument I would make for keeping Crookshank around and giving him every chance to make the team (in whatever role) is that he's only played 11 games in the NHL.

If he was at 100+ games played, you could make the case that he is what he is, and won't be improving much. But he's still getting used to the NHL game. I think it's likely he's got an extra gear he can reach once he gets more comfortable at this level.

Is that extra gear enough for him to become a third liner on a playoff team? I don't know. But I'd like to see him given the opportunity.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Meh, not sure about him on Stutzle's line. Then again we don't have many options right now.
He is certainly not a long term fit but as you said, we dont have many options at the moment.

I love that we are letting a young player who has scored in college and the AHL have an opportunity in that role in the NHL. He hasn't looked out of place.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This last sentence is where I (optimistically) disagree. Lack of competition has been a hallmark of the Dorion era, it's been the case literally every year, and imo it's the biggest factor that has sunk us. I really hope and believe Staois will work his ass off to change that
I think it’s just a numbers game.

Tkatchuk stutzle giroux batherson Joseph pinto Greig Norris and whoever staios signs as a vet forward will all be competing for ice time. But they won’t necessarily be competing for a roster spot.

Kelly kastelic crookshank ostapchuk macewen and possibly celebrini demidov lindstrom will be competing for not that many spots. And you have to figure not everyone is suited to fourth line play so that narrows competition even more.

There’s a top 9 wing spot open right now. Barring a big trade with top 9 forwards going out and none coming in. And if there isn’t then that spot is gonna get filled by the signing staios makes.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
?????? - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Pinto - Norris
Joseph - Greig - Giroux

They need to bring a much better player than Crookshank for the remaining spot, a veteran with a great 2-way game.

Then the bottom-4 forwards is built with Kastelic, Katchouk, Crookshank and Kelly

Reactions: asw and DrEasy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
?????? - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Pinto - Norris
Joseph - Greig - Giroux

They need to bring a much better player than Crookshank for the remaining spot, a veteran with a great 2-way game.

Then the bottom-4 forwards is built with Kastelic, Katchouk, Crookshank and Kelly

Yea, it has to be a notable forward too. Someone like Toffoli/Marchessault

and someone like Pesce/roy

Toffoli-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Joseph
Katchook-Kastelic-Kelly

Chabot-Pesce
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-xxxx

Korpi
xxxxx

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yea, it has to be a notable forward too. Someone like Toffoli/Marchessault

and someone like Pesce/roy

Toffoli-Stutzle-Giroux
Tkachuk-Pinto-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Joseph
Katchook-Kastelic-Kelly

Chabot-Pesce
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-xxxx

Korpi
xxxxx
I think you may have hopped over the cap here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, every year there are guys who perform really well in top 9 roles where before the season, or maybe a year prior, they'd be waived, struggle to get a 7 figure contract/any term, or you'd commonly hear them spoken about as though they barely belonged in the league.

Fit is underrated. Whether Crookshank is a good fit is another story
I like Crookshank's speed and hustle. He looked good but our opponent was not so good. I need to see more against better teams. I fear he might be too small.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like Crookshank's speed and hustle. He looked good but our opponent was not so good. I need to see more against better teams. I fear he might be too small.
Looked great against New Jersey and I mean lots of people just cream their pants over how good New Jersey is

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Schaefer killed or penalties - don’t see that in Cookers future. I like his activity but he doesn’t hVe great hockey sense
I disagree. He is around the puck a lot, and that doesn't happen by accident. He needs to keep playing before any decisions can be made about how he fits.

He has the motor for PK as well.

Admit he has been a dark horse of mine si ce his last year of college.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like how tenacious he is when battling for pucks. He wins a lot of battles which is an unheralded skill, but absolutely necessary for a puck possession team.

He’ll need to add a few more elements to his game in my opinion because we already have a guy like Kelly who plays a similar role and is established on our new fancy 4th line.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Schaefer killed or penalties - don’t see that in Cookers future. I like his activity but he doesn’t hVe great hockey sense
Crookshank absolutely has passable hockey iq. I could see him in a PK role in the future- good skating, good motor and good at breaking up plays with an active stick. In fact, I think he has very good puck luck on that last point.

I'd say he has enough tools to project as a pk guy down the road.

(not going near the Peter Schaeffer comparison because nobody plays the game like Peter Schaeffer with the exception of maybe prime Pavel Datsyuk...)

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
He flies around the ice with a crazed determination and causes turn overs. He's effective. He is small and loses physical battles but I love the hustle. I think he's great depth; he can play on the 4th line or fill in higher when injuries strike, I think he'll have a permanent spot next season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He flies around the ice with a crazed determination and causes turn overs. He's effective. He is small and loses physical battles but I love the hustle. I think he's great depth; he can play on the 4th line or fill in higher when injuries strike, I think he'll have a permanent spot next season.
He could be Parker Kelly. He could be Ridly Greig. He could be Angus Crookshank.
Need/want to see more

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad